Any News On Prestatyn This Spring ?

An e-mail i received last week:-

I'm told that there WILL BE a Prestatyn Weekender this March, but it may not

be confirmed until the major refurbishment work currently being undertaken at the camp

is completed in late January / early February.

By then it will probably be to late to set up live acts & the UK backing musicians.

Edited by smudger
Social source share

be confirmed until the major refurbishment work currently being undertaken at the camp

By then it will probably be to late to set up live acts & the UK backing musicians.

What is the source of this confrimation that there WILL be a Prestatyn Soul Weekender ???

Social source share

Fish (Mark Coddington) said at the Hilton Weekender that it will NOT be happening.

Social source share

By coincidence I spoke to someone at Pontins today requesting my deposit being returned. I was asked where had I received my information that it was not going ahead in March. I asked where did it state from Pontins that it WAS going ahead in March. I was told that the owners did not consider it a viable event and that the cost of the weekend with regards to Live Acts etc. was too expensive. If the event did not go ahead in March the deposit would be refunded either to my card or if someone had paid cash and has a receipt it will be by cheque. To be honest I never checked if the deposit payment was actually taken from my card last March. My guess is that if anything does go ahead it will be a last minute thing.

Having had the priviledge to be both a punter and DJ at both the Northern and Motown Weekenders my body clock is telling me that all soul fans should be heading up the A55 in about two months time as the Prestatyn Weekend really is a huge loss on the soul calendar.

Let's see what happens.

Kev Jones

Fish (Mark Coddington) said at the Hilton Weekender that it will NOT be happening.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As far as i know the new owners asked several parties to put in a bid to run a soul weekender at Prestatyn,including the crew who used to run it,but because of the cost of live acts it may just be a D.J. run event.The above source was reliable but looking at the time line for refurbs. etc. it may well be a last minute thing.It,s down to the new owners in the end.

Social source share

HI,

THANKS FOR REPLIES,

YOU THINK THEY'D ( PONTINS ) BE GLAD TO HAVE SOMETHING ON IN FEB / MARCH,

JOB'S FOR LOCAL PEOPLE AS WELL,

IT'S NOT AS IF THERE SNOWED ( IT'S BEEN THAT COLD SOME YEARS IT MIGHT AS WELL HAVE BEEN SNOWING ) UNDER WITH HOLIDAY MAKERS IS IT, I THOUGHT IT WAS ALL ABOUT BUMS ON SEATS WITH HOLIDAY CAMPS, IT'S NO WONDER THEY CAN'T MAKE ANY MONEY, IN MY OPINION IT WON'T BE THE SAME WITHOUT THE LIVE ACTS,

JOE.

Social source share

Would be helpful if the promoters/ex promoters who are members on here (John Poole & Mark Coddington) let people know one way or the other what is happening instead of leaving all the site members second guessing like above.

Might also stop some of the 'heard from a mate of a mate' rumours that are flying around & let people get on with planning their weekend events for the forthcoming year (including me as event moderator :) ).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Would be helpful if the promoters/ex promoters who are members on here (John Poole & Mark Coddington) let people know one way or the other what is happening instead of leaving all the site members second guessing like above.

Might also stop some of the 'heard from a mate of a mate' rumours that are flying around & let people get on with planning their weekend events for the forthcoming year (including me as event moderator :) ).

We are as much in the dark as anyone else on this event ongoing as organisers of the event as it was - we were made several assurances / promises back in the Autumn last year by the new owners, none of which have materialised.

No communication has been returned despite several attempts to request information since - on that basis I'm assuming the event will not happen (that may not be the case though) - what Brittania intend doing maybe something totally different.

We would like to be able to let people know what is happening and we would also like to know ourselves ! - as we've not been told we cannot pass anything on.

There has been alot of conflicting speculation recently - I cannot comment on this in any certainty and am not prepared to speculate (as that is all it would be) on something that I have no details or information on and would suggest contacting Brittania Hotels for further information on anything regarding this event at present - good luck !

If the above situation changes and Brittania Hotels decide they want to tell us what is planned or not as the case may be we will be able to let the good people on here no exactly what is happening, but until then....

Social source share

Dave,

To be fair - and not to be mis-leading I didn't speak to you @ Blackpool, but did say to others that asked at the event, that it was looking increasingly unlikely, as we'd had no updates from Brittania Hotels since the middle of last year.

Only Brittania Hotels - can say for certain what is happening with this event as it is their decision at the end of the day. That information or any information for that matter hasn't been forthcoming to John or myself despite asking on several occassions, which is why we've not commented on public forums about the event.

Anything more than that at present would be pure speculation by us.

ATB

Mark

Social source share

We are as much in the dark as anyone else on this event ongoing as organisers of the event as it was - we were made several assurances / promises back in the Autumn last year by the new owners, none of which have materialised.

No communication has been returned despite several attempts to request information since - on that basis I'm assuming the event will not happen (that may not be the case though) - what Brittania intend doing maybe something totally different.

We would like to be able to let people know what is happening and we would also like to know ourselves ! - as we've not been told we cannot pass anything on.

There has been alot of conflicting speculation recently - I cannot comment on this in any certainty and am not prepared to speculate (as that is all it would be) on something that I have no details or information on and would suggest contacting Brittania Hotels for further information on anything regarding this event at present - good luck !

If the above situation changes and Brittania Hotels decide they want to tell us what is planned or not as the case may be we will be able to let the good people on here no exactly what is happening, but until then....

Thanks for the reply Mark :thumbsup:

Social source share

No Mark, you did not speak to me, I was not there for one thing.

Graham Harland 1st words when giving me a report of the Hilton and I quote "Fish says Prestatyn is not happening"

So that is way I posted this, sorry if it was took the wrong way.

Yours Dave T.

Social source share

Guest dave nowell

Pontins have been telling us for months over the phone that "it will be on".

When you ask for a date they say "not confirmed yet"

We keep hearing from Djs and insiders that it may still happen

I was told only last week that "contracts were about to be signed"! :g:

Personally I assume it won't happen - and anyone trying to promote a 3,500 capacity weekender at two months notice wants their heads looking at!

We're off to see Billy Connolly in Cardiff that weekend instead :D

Edited by dave nowell
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I assume it won't happen - and anyone trying to promote a 3,500 capacity weekender at two months notice wants their heads looking at!

We're off to see Billy Connolly in Cardiff that weekend instead :D

Where's Billy DJing Dave ?

I've sent an email to the new owner of Pontins Mr Alex Langsam, let's see if he responds !

Social source share

This morning I emailed the new owner of Pontins and recieved a reply from a member of his team, they informed me that the Nothernsoul Weekender will not take place this March.

If anyone on Soul Source was part of the team that helped organise previous weekenders (Pontins would like to hear from you), someone from the Northern Soul Scene did try their best to organise the event for this year (but unfortunately we have run out of time to host the event in March). So we don't have an event in March but if anyone is willing to take up the challenge for next year (or later this year) please let me know and I will give you a contact name and telephone number.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Rgds D

Social source share

First if this is true , its a great shame, Ive only been to 3 out the last 4 years and really enjoyed the events . The basic accomadation on a windy stretch of N.Wales in March was easily overcome by the great vibe, company of friends , and great range of music choice and some memorable performances .(and a few we'll forgive) Im sure I wont be alone in thinking ,,, 'You Blew a Good Thing' ! , which I can only assume was the result of poor choices by Pontins or the holding company, and sadly greed is often a common factor in these issues. Im a bit puzzelled why they are asking for ' contacts ' for future events .does it suggest a breakdown with existing promoters ?

I was looking forward to this so much , catching up with friends and putting some footwork in on the dance floor , and given it hosted 3,000+ Im amazed there hasn't been more of an outcry that an event of this size couldnt be confirmed 6 weeks before its due to happen. Imagine if this was a tour company ? As one of our party has suggested ... someone has coined it in the past years from Soul fans but isnt exactly keeping the faith. It was the Soul community that made the vibe and Id suggest promoters turn their backs on em,

Id hope the promoters can put the record straight and everyone gets thier deposits back.

Keep the Faith . Coolnotes

Social source share

Guest dave nowell

Let's get this right....................Pontins were happy to take people's deposits for an event they knew probably wasn't going to happen.

And now they don't have any contact details for the organisers of the previous weekenders?!?!?!

Even though one of the main organisers was working for them until last year!

hmmm....... :g:

Social source share

And now I've got to get my deposit back as well.

Luckily it was with my CC so any crap and the CC company can sort it.

I'd rather be at Prestatyn though....

THANKS TABS AND FOR ALL THE OTHER COMMENTS,

LOOKS LIKE I'VE GOT MY ANSWER,

JOE.

Social source share

Well I will as I paid by CC so have some protection, the receipt and of course their letter confirming it's cancelled. And so should everyone else but it might be more difficult. See you next Sat hun. xx

Deffo mate..just hope you and others do get yours money back...xxx

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I emailed the new owner of Pontins and recieved a reply from a member of his team, they informed me that the Nothernsoul Weekender will not take place this March.

If anyone on Soul Source was part of the team that helped organise previous weekenders (Pontins would like to hear from you), someone from the Northern Soul Scene did try their best to organise the event for this year (but unfortunately we have run out of time to host the event in March). So we don't have an event in March but if anyone is willing to take up the challenge for next year (or later this year) please let me know and I will give you a contact name and telephone number.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Rgds D

please cant someone try to organise an event sometime this year at prestatyn, we are so going to miss this event in march ....
Social source share

Guest colin brown

The Mob that run Pontins are asking for Promoters to organise a Weekender,at Prestatyn?The way they treated the Original Promoters was not too Professional.If I had the Cash,I would certainly not entertain Brittania Hotels.Stick to Hotels people,you certainly do not know how to run Weekenders.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!