Garlon Davis Or Garland Davis On Kick Off?

Denbo

Seen copies with Garlon Davis and one with Garland Davis.

Can others confirm this?

And, I take it the Kick Off and Merging labels are from the same stable?

And did, by any chance, "Don't Worry About Dancing For Me" come out on Merging also?

Edited by denbo
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Seen copies with Garlon Davis and one with Garland Davis.

Can others confirm this?

And, I take it the Kick Off and Merging labels are from the same stable?

And did, by any chance, "Don't Worry About Dancing For Me" come out on Merging also?

the label designs look similar and he recorded on both labels so at a guess they are from same stable. As far as I know the kick off sides only came out on that label. His merging 45 is different sides.

I have the merging one at home so could comfirm tonight.

Social source share

the label designs look similar and he recorded on both labels so at a guess they are from same stable. As far as I know the kick off sides only came out on that label. His merging 45 is different sides.

I have the merging one at home so could comfirm tonight.

Thanks Dylan.

But did the one on Kick Off get released with Garlon and Garland Davis on the label?

Social source share

Hey Denbo, you remember a year or 2 ago we both moaned about Billy Daniels - Woe, woe, woe being way way too short a recording, well same def goes with this one, for ages I "cheated" by playing the Garlon Davis version (1 minute 50 secs) back to back with Carl Underwood's (1.52) to stretch it out more but it's always a bit of a pain it ends so quickly

Have a few oddball Zeke Strongs on the label too (a red vinyl one even) and another GD that's a bit ballady for me,

Social source share

Hi Mike, Nice to hear from you again after so long.

Yes, I remember that. :yes:

Tell me, does your Kick Off "Don't Worry About Dancing For Me" read Garlon or Garland Davis?

Only, I'm convinced mine reads Garland but I can't check 'cos I'm away from home just now.

I'm hoping to get some more responses to satisfy my doubts.

Denbo.

Social source share

"Garlon", there are recordings from Texas from the 50's of a Garland Davis but no idea if the same guy, only thing I've seen that varies is the shade of red on the label, sometimes more orangey

The red vinyl 45 on the label is Zeke Strong w Patricia Brew - a diff version of his "I laugh and talk (but I don't play)" cut

Social source share

Hi Mike, Nice to hear from you again after so long.

Yes, I remember that. :yes:

Tell me, does your Kick Off "Don't Worry About Dancing For Me" read Garlon or Garland Davis?

Only, I'm convinced mine reads Garland but I can't check 'cos I'm away from home just now.

I'm hoping to get some more responses to satisfy my doubts.

Denbo.

Kick Off 188 was released twice (first, I believe, as "Garland Davis" (error?), and with B-side title "Leave Me alone", and 2nd as "Garlon Davis", with "I'm Begging You(leave Me Alone).

I'm pretty sure he was the same Garland Davis from Texas, who started singing in the 1950s. Yes, Merging (Peace and Soul) Records was a sister label to Kick Off Records, as well as to Progress Records. All 3 were located in L.A., and seemingly run by Zeke Strong A&R man, producer and arranger, and a local band leader. I don't know if Strong owned the labels outright, had a financial partner fund the labels, or was not an owner, but just ran the labels. Larry Johnson also produced and was involved at Progress Records (He may have been a part-owner). All scans below containing NO black backgrounds courtesy of Sir Shambling's Deep Soul Heaven.

gdavis4.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

gdavis1.png

By rob_k at 2012-01-16

gdavis3.jpg

By rob_k at 2012-01-16

gdavis5.jpg

By rob_k at 2012-01-16

gdavis2.png

By rob_k at 2012-01-16

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

well same def goes with this one, for ages I "cheated" by playing the Garlon Davis version (1 minute 50 secs) back to back with Carl Underwood's (1.52) to stretch it out more but it's always a bit of a pain it ends so quickly

Christ, that's like having Tesco's value mincemeat served up on the same plate as Chateaubriand Steak.... :wicked:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Agree Mace my man, ended up selling the Garlon, but also been known do this with I'm gonna make you mine and your old goodie Shake me down, always a bit of a sucker for a version excursion, did you ever get the garage record that writer did, not expensive and not too shabby

Social source share

Oooh, Bitchy :P :P :P

Can't resist a spot of baiting me... :wicked:

The Kick Off 45 is okay, but not a patch on Carl Underwood......and you know it :D

As for Garlon Davis, got a pretty decent track by him called 'Oh my soul' that seems quite tough even though it came out on 2 labels (Progress and Vended if I remember correctly)

Social source share

Can't resist a spot of baiting me... :wicked:

The Kick Off 45 is okay, but not a patch on Carl Underwood......and you know it :D

As for Garlon Davis, got a pretty decent track by him called 'Oh my soul' that seems quite tough even though it came out on 2 labels (Progress and Vended if I remember correctly)

I haven't got a copy of the 'other' version so I like this one the best. :P:thumbsup::D

Social source share

Kick Off 188 was released twice (first, I believe, as "Garland Davis" (error?), and with B-side title "Leave Me alone", and 2nd as "Garlon Davis", with "I'm Begging You(leave Me Alone).

I'm pretty sure he was the same Garland Davis from Texas, who started singing in the 1950s. Yes, Merging (Peace and Soul) Records was a sister label to Kick Off Records, as well as to Progress Records. All 3 were located in L.A., and seemingly run by Zeke Strong A&R man, producer and arranger, and a local band leader. I don't know if Strong owned the labels outright, had a financial partner fund the labels, or was not an owner, but just ran the labels. Larry Johnson also produced and was involved at Progress Records (He may have been a part-owner).

gdavis4.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

gdavis1.png

By rob_k at 2012-01-16

gdavis3.jpg

By rob_k at 2012-01-16

gdavis5.jpg

By rob_k at 2012-01-16

gdavis2.png

By rob_k at 2012-01-16

YES!!! I knew I was right. :yes:

Thanks Rob. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Denbo (The Vinyl Junkie) came up with this interesting thread, pointing out that there were two different pressings of "Don't Worry About Dancing For Me"/"Leave Me Alone("I'm Begging You"). Let's hear it for members posting interesting threads!

Hear! Hear! :thumbup:

Amazing! You've even got me using a (shudder) smilie!!!

Social source share

Denbo (The Vinyl Junkie) came up with this interesting thread, pointing out that there were two different pressings of "Don't Worry About Dancing For Me"/"Leave Me Alone("I'm Begging You"). Let's hear it for members posting interesting threads!

Hear! Hear! :thumbup:

Amazing! You've even got me using a (shudder) smilie!!!

Why, thank you kindly good Sir.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!