Lover Come Back Please Help Find Singer Thank

Salvosoul

• 1 month later...

Rarest version is The Cameros on Dar-chi.. Flip of We're Not Too Young.. Massive Butch play.. Deffo my fave version, great double side rarity...

Second that, best version bar none, absolute sheer class, never tire of listening to it and one of the most sublimely sweet girly vocals I've ever heard, just need a spare £1500 or whatever....in fact....

Edited by mark w.
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Second that, best version bar none, absolute sheer class, never tire of listening to it and one of the most sublimely sweet girly vocals I've ever heard, just need a spare £1500 or whatever....in fact....

If it's "We're Not Too Young" you mean then I hope that's an opinion and not a fact.

At the end of the day it's horses for courses but I think it's the worst I've heard. Honestly, I couldn't listen to that all the way through. Even prefer the Karen Stribling to this and I don't really like that a lot.

For me Jackey Beavers and Continental Showstoppers kick the shite out of it (IMO of course)

:)

Social source share

If it's "We're Not Too Young" you mean then I hope that's an opinion and not a fact.

At the end of the day it's horses for courses but I think it's the worst I've heard. Honestly, I couldn't listen to that all the way through. Even prefer the Karen Stribling to this and I don't really like that a lot.

For me Jackey Beavers and Continental Showstoppers kick the shite out of it (IMO of course)

I'm speechless and that doesn't happen very often. Well done for that at least :lol:

Social source share

If the Camaros was a ten quid record no-one would be interested. It's pretty unremarkable. (IMHO etc etc...)

Sorry to be direct, but thats bollox, I respect your opinion & all that but the Camaros, both sides is fantastic, I dont give a hoot if its £10 or £1500, its not whats in ya wallet, but in the grooves, when I first heard this many years ago, I had no idea of its monetary value, just that it took me to soul heaven & back......f*ckin sublime in every way, wash ya ear oles out mucka.......

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Sorry to be direct, but thats bollox, I respect your opinion & all that but the Camaros, both sides is fantastic, I dont give a hoot if its £10 or £1500, its not whats in ya wallet, but in the grooves, when I first heard this many years ago, I had no idea of its monetary value, just that it took me to soul heaven & back......f*ckin sublime in every way, wash ya ear oles out mucka.......

Best Russ

It's all opinions though ain't it Russ. One man's classic is another man's shite. Anyone's taste is no better than anyone else's, just different.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

LOVE THE KAREN STRIBBLIN VERSION ON JABER......JAckie BEavers Records.....JABER there ya go

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

It's all opinions though ain't it Russ. One man's classic is another man's shite. Anyone's taste is no better than anyone else's, just different.

Absolutely! But to say I wouldn't like the record if it cost a tenner is an insult (not aimed directly at me but near enough)

I am perfectly able to make my mind up about a record without being told how much it costs thank you very much, as if that would make the slightest bit of difference.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Absolutely! But to say I wouldn't like the record if it cost a tenner is an insult (not aimed directly at me but near enough)

I am perfectly able to make my mind up about a record without being told how much it costs thank you very much, as if that would make the slightest bit of difference.

Joan, I didn't actually make that post did I, although I admit I "thumbed it up".

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I respect your opinion of the musical content, but not the inference that others may only like it because of is rarity & value.

Best Russ

Again Russ, I didn't post that comment. Thumbed it up as that was my line of thinking as well but I didn't infer anything.

Social source share

The 'inference' bit was a general comment, however you did 'like' the comment, so assume you agreed with it....no biggie at all, I just get fed up of folk who bring monetary value into the quality or not of records.....theyre either good or bad & thats personal & has nothing to do with value.

Best Russ

Social source share

The 'inference' bit was a general comment, however you did 'like' the comment, so assume you agreed with it....no biggie at all, I just get fed up of folk who bring monetary value into the quality or not of records.....theyre either good or bad & thats personal & has nothing to do with value.

Best Russ

Almost as absurd as saying you wouldn't like a cheap record if it cost 2 grand. How stupid does that sound?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

With all due respect please do not insult my taste and knowledge.. I like all versions of said record and when The Camaros first started getting played it did not carry the huge price it carries now.. If my memory serves me well it was a £500 pound record. I actually first heard the flip 'Lover Come Back' on a tape recorded live at Yarmouth weekenders so hadn't a clue on price and rarity. My taste and my collection carries both cheapie tunes and some bigger money ones too, the bigger money ones having increased in value over the past decade. I would love to be in a financial position to purchase some of my rarer wants list items but I am a genuine soul fan, loyalist and collector and appreciate a tune for it's pure class and not price.. Please accept my apologies for being so direct but I had to respond.. Respect. Julie Molloy

Edited by Mrs M
Social source share

Best Russ

Social source share

Best Russ

When I "washed my ears out" I heard a pretty uncommitted and amateurish vocal with a half-decent backing track. Hey-ho! Such is the Rare Soul scene.

Sadly you don't seem to "respect my opinion", but I'll get over it...

I will concede that the label design is quite nice - it looks like a rare record should.

Getting back on topic - Jackey Beavers version on SS7 is very nice - So is the Jaber version. One is a tenner or thereabouts - the other is a lot more.

You pays your money and takes your choice... ;-)

Social source share

With all due respect please do not insult my taste and knowledge..

The label is Dar-Cha not Dar-Chi

sorry, I couldn't resist after this:

This is actually the first time I really listened to the camaros version, it's great, a total reworking of the song, it gives it a totally different feel. I don't really feel the need to rank this, it's so different from the other versions.

Social source share

The label is Dar-Cha not Dar-Chi

sorry, I couldn't resist after this:

This is actually the first time I really listened to the camaros version, it's great, a total reworking of the song, it gives it a totally different feel. I don't really feel the need to rank this, it's so different from the other versions.

Social source share

Yeah it is a nice label... And I agree, you pay the money for any sought after record be it a tenner or a thousand so all down to personal choice.. I also acknowledge the scene does have ego filled collectors who like to buy 'big money' sounds only but a small minority in comparison. Good to see this thread attracted a host of passionate opinion and genuinity.. X

Social source share

When I "washed my ears out" I heard a pretty uncommitted and amateurish vocal with a half-decent backing track. Hey-ho! Such is the Rare Soul scene.

Sadly you don't seem to "respect my opinion", but I'll get over it...

I will concede that the label design is quite nice - it looks like a rare record should.

Getting back on topic - Jackey Beavers version on SS7 is very nice - So is the Jaber version. One is a tenner or thereabouts - the other is a lot more.

You pays your money and takes your choice... ;-)

I said that I respect you opinion, so whats the problem....my issue is not whether you like or dislike a record, but that apparently you base this on how much said record costs & not the musical content ?.

Hope that I have made myself clear.

Best Russ

Social source share

Well, I for one like all the versions of both sides...they are different enough to appeal to my varied taste :thumbup:

I also agree with Boba's observation of the Camaros having a more 'Detroity feel' to it on LCB, compared to the other versions :hatsoff2:

To each their own...here's a scan of the Camaros:

post-9555-0-11828300-1330264063_thumb.jp

Social source share

Well, I for one like all the versions of both sides...they are different enough to appeal to my varied taste :thumbup:

I also agree with Boba's observation of the Camaros having a more 'Detroity feel' to it on LCB, compared to the other versions :hatsoff2:

To each their own...here's a scan of the Camaros:

The "detroity" comment was RobbK not BobA. This version sounds totally different than the other ones, made it more like a midtempo girl group cut vs. a storming northern cut.

Social source share

The "detroity" comment was RobbK not BobA. This version sounds totally different than the other ones, made it more like a midtempo girl group cut vs. a storming northern cut.

Apologies to RobbK...the man with impeccable taste...not that I'm saying you haven't Boba! :D

Social source share

I said that I respect you opinion, so whats the problem....my issue is not whether you like or dislike a record, but that apparently you base this on how much said record costs & not the musical content ?.

Hope that I have made myself clear.

Best Russ

I was absolutely basing it on the musical content rather than the value.

I've never discriminated against a record based on its financial cost merely it's perceived quality. I wouldn't bother buying Rare Soul records if this was the case.

Like it or not we inhabit a scene where poor quality records are highly valued because of their rarity. I believe this is a case in point.

You believe differently. Neither of us is right or wrong.

Social source share

Like it or not we inhabit a scene where poor quality records are highly valued because of their rarity. I believe this is a case in point.

I love how both of you are accusing each other of liking records based on their value. I do see that happen with many mediocre records on here but it's pretty awesome that you can't grasp that anyone has a different aesthetic of evaluating the quality of records and your opinion about the quality of this record is absolute. If someone explains why they like a record (versus just saying "it's better"), either argue with those points or give reasons why you like it better under your own personal values.

I collect group harmony soul, including girl groups. Both sides of this record sound great to me. The lead has a great voice and the harmonies are great. It's a really nice midtempo reworking of a track versus the sound of Jackie Beavers on Jaber / Mainstream, which is a storming track without any backing vocal. Each version has it's positives and negatives given my values, but if you're going to tell me I'm wrong, do it based on arguing with with my reasons for liking the record or do it by presenting your own aesthetics under which the record is bad, but saying that there's some kind of absolute where the record is inherently the worst is silly.

One of my favorite groups of all times is the Sensations. The rare, expensive record sounds totally different and is just mediocre to me, just a pounding beat without good change ups or harmonies. You might disagree, but I'm not gonna tell you that you only like it because it's expensive if you give specific musical or personal reasons why you like it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!