Ben E. King - Views On His Career, Photos, Picture Sleeves?

nixon

Hi, I'm currently writting an article on Ben E. King's 60s output for a German independent pop culture magazine: https://gethappymag.de/?q=en

If you have interesting personal experiences (meetings, shows...) or views on his recordings (also beyond the 60s), I'd be curious to hear.

I'm especially looking for interesting photos, picture sleeves etc. I could use. (I already have the ATCO-LPs and the French PS of "I Can't Take It Anymore".)

During the course of research, I've discovered his late 60s Southern Soul sessions in Muscle Shoals and Memphis and am quite excited by the quality of "She Knows What To Do For Me", "Hey Little One" and "It Ain't Fair". I wish Atlantic had had recorded much more "deep soul" with Ben in those years.

Cheers

Frank

Edited by nixon
Social source share

Some of his Atco 45's are superb, the later ones being very soulful, sadly not on LP. Forgive This Fool being one of his greatest records

His 2 mid 70's LP's are fantastic, some fantastic deep soul on them, a couple of Sam Dees songs and the superior version of Lou Courtney's I Don't Need Nobody Else.

I have most of them recorded at home if you need to hear any for your research.

I also have a Greek atlantic release of I Can't Break The News if thats any good for your unusual 45's?

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Thanks, jocko. "Forgive this fool" should definitely appear in my list of recommended 45s. And I will look for his 70s LPs (only know "I Can't Take It Like A Man" and "Supernatural Thing" so far). For the article, though, I will have to stick to the classic ATCO years. It's embedded into a broader New York special covering different genres and decades. I chose King not only because I like his recordings but also because he's linked to the Brill Building sound, Leiber & Stoller, Doc Pomus, Spector etc., so one can give a bigger picture of what happened there in the 60s.

Edited by nixon
Social source share

"That's When It Hurts" has always done it for me as a sublime soul ballad. One thing that has blown me away is that in 20 years of collecting I have never ever seen the original Atco 45 of Stand By Me in real life to buy, it's on ebay all the time but it's kind of like a running task for me to avoid this 45 now, i have looked at hundreds of thousands of 45s & never flipped past that one, it's like my real life nemesis.

Social source share

Kris, you don't use Ebay, at all? Got my copy from Craig Moerer, I think.

"Stand by Me" is one of my all time faves since I discovered it as the soundtrack to that Rob Reiner film in the mid 80s. Back then I thought King was a "one hit wonder". Like that guy from the Jeans commercial with "Wonderful World", Sam Cooke.;-)

Social source share

Ben E. King is a truly incredible artist in my opinion and despite his huge hits during the early 60s, he is still one of the most mis-represented and undervalued artists of the "soul giants" as far as his later career is concerned.

The majority of his ATCO recordings from 1964 to 1969 are nothing less than exceptional, but I've never seen a decent compilation (put together by someone who is serious about what they're doing) made out of that material. They are always too heavily focused on his early recordings.

I once did a CD for myself with 28 of his lesser known tracks (24 of those were from 1964-1969, and no "Stand By Me" in sight). It is one of my most played CDs.

Ben E. King deserves a compilation just like the one that Kent/Ace recently did for Arthur Conley.

Just a few mentions from me: "It's Amazing", "Forgive This Fool", "It's No Good For Me", "So Much Love", "'Til I Can't Take It Anymore", "What Can A Man Do", "It Ain't Fair", "We Got A Thing Going On" (with Dee Dee Sharp) etc.

Fantastic stuff.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sebastian, I totally agree.

"Where's The Girl", a 45 from '68, keeps puzzling me. A beautiful production by Leiber & Stoller, more sophisticated pop than soul.

I wonder when this was recorded, as Leiber/Stoller had left Atlantic as early as '63. So far, I couldn't find any session information about this particular take.Probably a left over from the ATCO vaults, but it doesn't sound like early 60s at all to my ears - more like later Bacharach/David-productions.

Edited by nixon
Social source share

"Where's The Girl", a 45 from '68, keeps puzzling me.

Even more puzzling is that there are different takes under the same catalogue number, both appearing to be the same press!

Other faves of mine by him are, 'The beginning of time' and 'Hermit of misty mountain'... wonderful!

Social source share

Hi, I'm currently writting an article on Ben E. King's 60s output for a German independent pop culture magazine: https://gethappymag.de/?q=en If you have interesting personal experiences (meetings, shows...) or views on his recordings (also beyond the 60s), I'd be curious to hear. I'm especially looking for interesting photos, picture sleeves etc. I could use. (I already have the ATCO-LPs and the French PS of "I Can't Take It Anymore".) During the course of research, I've discovered his late 60s Southern Soul sessions in Muscle Shoals and Memphis and am quite excited by the quality of "She Knows What To Do For Me", "Hey Little One" and "It Ain't Fair". I wish Atlantic had had recorded much more "deep soul" with Ben in those years. Cheers Frank

I'll send you the sleevenotes to the Gettin' To Me CD that featured the track. PM me your Email and I'll send a scan of the acetate amnd Lieber Stoller sheet music to.

Cheers

Ady

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I suspect "Where's The Girl" and "Getting To Me" were recorded at the same session. The texture of the brass, strings, vibes etc. and their prominence in the mix sounds practically the same, as does the rhythm section on both. Also Ben is singing in his lower, crooning register on both. Quite different to his more obviously gospel-inflected voice on other, more 'soul-oriented' material.

Social source share

I suspect "Where's The Girl" and "Getting To Me" were recorded at the same session. The texture of the brass, strings, vibes etc. and their prominence in the mix sounds practically the same, as does the rhythm section on both. Also Ben is singing in his lower, crooning register on both. Quite different to his more obviously gospel-inflected voice on other, more 'soul-oriented' material.

Correct squire

Social source share

From jazzdisco.org:

Ben E. King with Artie Butler's Orchestra

Irving Markowitz, Ernie Royal (tp) Harry DiVito (tb) Phil Bodner (ts, cl) Joe Grimaldi (bars, cl) Artie Butler (p, arr, dir) Kenny Burrell, Trade Martin, Bill Suyker (g) Milt Hinton, Jimmy Tyrell (b) Gary Chester (d) Ray Barretto (cga) George Devens, Phil Kraus (per, vib) Ben E. King (vo) unidentified 6 strings

NYC, February 3, 1966

9905 Where's The Girl Atco 6596*

9906 Gettin' To Me Atlantic unissued

* Ben E. King - Where's The Girl b/w It's Amazing (Atco 6596)

Edited by garethx
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Fact check: Would you share the view that "I Can't Break The News To Myself" only broke on the Northern dancefloors as late as the mid Eighties? That's what I understood from Richard Searling's liner notes to the "After Hours" compilation where the track is featured. How come? It was not that rare or unknown before, was it?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I met Ben E King around 1974 after a show he did at The Stables in St Asaph, North Wales! I saw him in his dressing room and I'd taken all my 45s with me hoping to get the sleeves signed. He was more than obliging and told me had none of his records at home as his children wrecked them when they were young. We talked about his past records and where his future lay in terms of bringing it up to date. He told me there were a few things happening and he hoped to get some more stuff out soon. Soon after he released Supernatural Thing which was brobably his biggest ever selling record and gave his carrer a new lease of life. I saw him sing that when he was part of the Atlantic Records tour with The Spinners, Jimmy Castor etc. In terms of his records don't forget his Drifters outings especially Oh My Love the flip of There Goes My Baby. Such powerful vocals with very little orchestral backing, superb. Another of my solo favourites is Hermit Of Misty Mountain, way ahead of its time IMO. Attached is the Stand By Me 45 with signed sdleeve and a hand bill for one of his Twisted Wheel appearances.

post-430-0-51710700-1328348479_thumb.jpg post-430-0-39438100-1328348534_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!