Previously Unknown Twinight Record

boba

Strewth man, that's brilliant four you. :thumbsup:

I now have another gap in my Twinight collection : ranting_1.gif But great you got this....Steve

did you see the velma perkins went cheap under the radar recently, it was poorly listed and went for like $70.I had a copy already but would have bid to get a double, but didn't see it. I saw it later when searching someone's bids.

Social source share

Nice interview with Renaldo here..... CLICK HERE

Hi Martin, Hope you're feeling much better pal?

Great find this Radio Sation interview with Renaldo Domino.

That first release of his on Twinight "Not Too Cool To Cry" is brilliant, far better than his earlier Mercury (Smash & Blue Rock) recordings.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

So I had (or thought I had) a complete run of the twinight label, until I got this record today:

post-5120-0-20630900-1327127212_thumb.jp

It's the same recording as the "unreleased" Domino single that Numero Group put out. Anyone ever seen this before?

Said on the interview this is unreleased(obviously not),brilliant record though.

atb,Geoff.

Social source share

Said on the interview this is unreleased(obviously not),brilliant record though.

atb,Geoff.

maybe the artist didn't know it was released (that actually happens a lot, plus it's rare enough that it's not an official "release"). Or maybe the interviewer did a bad job or something.

Social source share

This is on the Twinight discography on Dave Rimmer's site. Wonder when it was added?.

it's been known to have been mooted for release but for whatever reason one side was switched & Two Years Four Days was replaced. Incredibly cool that a promo managed to escape & has surfaced. I think the Twinight discog on Soulful Kinda Music just forgot to include "unreleased" beside the listing as they do say "unreleased" beside it on their Renaldo Domino discog.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This is on the Twinight discography on Dave Rimmer's site. Wonder when it was added?

A great find though as it's a really nice record, making it of more significance than simply an oddity for label collectors.

wait, are you saying people are supposed to do something with records besides collecting catalog numbers? weird.

Social source share

This is on the Twinight discography on Dave Rimmer's site. Wonder when it was added?

A great find though as it's a really nice record, making it of more significance than simply an oddity for label collectors.

where can we hear it Bob?

Social source share

where can we hear it Bob?

It's identical to the numero reissue, which includes another track that really (or probably at this point) didn't come out. It's this record:

https://boomkat.com/vinyl/94067-renaldo-domino-i-ll-get-you-back-two-years-four-days

there are short clips there. It was just a quick google but it's out of stock there. There might be many other web outlets that carry it. On the numero page, it looked like I could add the track to my cart so you might be able to buy directly from them.

Social source share

Thanks - I have that Numero reissue somewhere - love the "I'll Get You Back" side, didn't really register the flip when I bought it... Will have to dig it out for another listen. Nice find my man.

Edited by marco
Social source share

Great find Bob...now if someone could find his release on Arlen......or even post a soundclip.... :wink:

Here are scans of both sides of the Arnell release. "I'm hip to your game" is a totally basement, echoey recording, different than the smash record. The other side is a really good northern track actually, the only thing that takes away from it is the poor production values, I think it still could be played. The labels are reversed on this, I guess they probably are on all copies given the tiny press?

post-5120-0-32742000-1327185821_thumb.jp

post-5120-0-33347100-1327185822_thumb.jp

The other record on Arnell, by the Magnificents, has nothing to do with the Johnny Keyes group. Both sides are instrumental, it was Renaldo's backing band.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

didn't really register the flip when I bought it...

Twas actually a freebie from George M - don't want you to think I've forgotten your generosity mate!

Social source share

sorry off subject.....how rare is the perfections "which one am i" twinight?....do many of you guys that collect twinight have it ??

cheers

franc

I just scanned the perfections, I have never ever seen one for sale.

post-5120-0-14009700-1327188954_thumb.jp

post-5120-0-12656800-1327188955_thumb.jp

The perfections are essentially the same group as the late 60s Norvells, except that Jerry Townes is singing lead on "which one am I". The song was originally called "three sides to a triangle" and was supposed to come out on nickel / penny. Jerry Townes is the same person as Jerry Brown, who was one half of the Dutones on Columbia (the other member was Richard Parker). Jerry and Pegue both worked at the Met record shop so they knew each other from there.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Nºmero don't always get it right- I picked up the 'unreleased' Sonia Ross on Super Sound some years ago....

Great find Bob, and as Gareth says all the better for being a fantastic song....

Thanks a lot. I do think Numero invests a lot of time trying to document the history, probably more than any other label. They contact whoever they can and do a lot of interviews for each release. It's very difficult to get everything correct as new info always comes out. thanks.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks a lot. I do think Numero invests a lot of time trying to document the history, probably more than any other label. They contact whoever they can and do a lot of interviews for each release. It's very difficult to get everything correct as new info always comes out. thanks.

I agree Bob, I think Nºmero do an amazing job and seem to go to incredible lengths to make sure no stone is unturned, and yet things still manage to slip through despite despite that.....

I was in no way criticising them, but making the point that it seems that it's difficult to make a definitive statement that something wasn't released based on the memories of artists or label owner's recollections.....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I agree Bob, I think Nºmero do an amazing job and seem to go to incredible lengths to make sure no stone is unturned, and yet things still manage to slip through despite despite that.....

I was in no way criticising them, but making the point that it seems that it's difficult to make a definitive statement that something wasn't released based on the memories of artists or label owner's recollections.....

I agree. That's what makes this thing of ours such an interesting thing to do, there's always another record out there, it never ends. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here are scans of both sides of the Arnell release. "I'm hip to your game" is a totally basement, echoey recording, different than the smash record. The other side is a really good northern track actually, the only thing that takes away from it is the poor production values, I think it still could be played. The labels are reversed on this, I guess they probably are on all copies given the tiny press?

post-5120-0-32742000-1327185821_thumb.jp

post-5120-0-33347100-1327185822_thumb.jp

The other record on Arnell, by the Magnificents, has nothing to do with the Johnny Keyes group. Both sides are instrumental, it was Renaldo's backing band.

Seem to remember the "Love" side was the one that caught my ear.As you say,sparse,but that's the street level sound of some tracks i like.

Would love a soundclip to remind me what i'm missing.(unless it is on the radio clip earlier?).

Social source share

Seem to remember the "Love" side was the one that caught my ear.As you say,sparse,but that's the street level sound of some tracks i like.

Would love a soundclip to remind me what i'm missing.(unless it is on the radio clip earlier?).

I think there's one in the interview, if not PM me. Surprised nobody plays it actually, it is a pretty good northern record.

Social source share

It was always listed, but this particular combination of titles had '(Unreleased)' after it, until earlier this week :lol:

Social source share

it's been known to have been mooted for release but for whatever reason one side was switched & Two Years Four Days was replaced. Incredibly cool that a promo managed to escape & has surfaced. I think the Twinight discog on Soulful Kinda Music just forgot to include "unreleased" beside the listing as they do say "unreleased" beside it on their Renaldo Domino discog.

See my last post :lol: I had Friday off work, so did quite a few updates Thursday and Friday. I missed the fact that it's also listed in the Renaldo Domino discography, as unreleased, so I'll go and change that now !

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Nice find Bob! Really like this. What is the flip? Also I thought the Numero re-issue had a bad "metallic" sound to it and it made it barely palyable. Is this the same? Or is it just me and my ears.

other side of it is "you need to be loved on". I never noticed a 'metallic' sound on the numero record so i probably wouldn't notice it on this, but i will try to a/b it. thanks.

Social source share

Nice find Bob! Really like this. What is the flip? Also I thought the Numero re-issue had a bad "metallic" sound to it and it made it barely palyable. Is this the same? Or is it just me and my ears.

now that I think about it, I remember reading that they have had some pressing problems with some records. If your record is unplayable, it's probably mispressed. you should contact them for a replacement.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rob_Sevier

Sadly, the metallic sound is present on the record, but I'm surprised that it's a major problem for you. Apologies, but that was a failing of the source material. Thanks for your support, the other side should sound good, however!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!