Northern Soul Tracks You Have Heard On The Telly

Guest allnightandy

Guest allnightandy

I don't know if it's been done before

anyway a few years ago Sky sports used Billy Butlers Right track for an article !

Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Ian 1930

There was a documentary last week about Muhammed Ali and some of the backing tracks were The Champion, Thumb a Ride ( I think) and a couple of others that I can't remember. I'd had a couple of glasses of red by then and my early-onset Alzheimer's is clearly also affecting my memory!

Social source share

anyway a few years ago Sky sports used Billy Butlers Right track for an article !

Yes, the Levi adverts used a number of tracks, as did Burger King, Rubin on the cat food add as mentioned by MrsWoodsrules, Hold on I'm coming was played tonight, cant for the life of me rember what was being promoted, only the Mrs telling to stop bopping on the sofa :D (OK I'll acccept its not strictly Northern BUT :thumbup: ).

Should we be surprised?, i think not, soul music, more specifically what is euphemistically referred to as Northern Soul, has been more under ground than under ground rock was in the late 60T's early 70T's (Floyyd, Genesis, Starship etc).

The genre has got to have vast untapped potential, we've got to have, these days, Northern Soulies working for the advertising industry able to impose their musical tastes on all manner of television/advertising/radio audio tracks and lets face it there is a wealth of product posted on You Tube they can refer to if they run out ideas :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Social source share

Defo remember a beer advert? i think it was for Tetleys ? on the telly approx 1977 -used Jeanette White "Music" as the backing track to the advert....

ktf

tfk :rofl:

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

The obvious ones (lets get em out the way)

Kentucky fried chicken

Frank Wilson Do I Love You

Bobby Garrett My Little Girl

Flirtations Nothing But A Heartache

Laura Greene Moonlight Music and You

One of the Power Companies using Rescue Me at the moment

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

There was a documentary last week about Muhammed Ali and some of the backing tracks were The Champion, Thumb a Ride ( I think) and a couple of others that I can't remember. I'd had a couple of glasses of red by then and my early-onset Alzheimer's is clearly also affecting my memory!

Only saw a bit of this myself , played some crackin stuff, great doc too. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I was probably in the same rouge mist as you Ian.....I remembered exactly what you did :rofl: but there was a couple more.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

That WIFE SWAP programme played the Delites Lover during the segment when the 2 couples reunite and talk about the swap at a hotel.

Wife swap always seemed to play some sort of soul song at the end
Social source share

Guest BintofSoul

That nurse series which was on Channel 4 a few years back..seem to play quite a lot of soul on it...also...a couple do pop up on Come Dine With Me....or is that another programme??? :huh: ..Delxxxx

I bought the soundtrack Dell! Youth club tracks mainly. Yes very sad indeedy :D !

Social source share

I bought the soundtrack Dell! Youth club tracks mainly. Yes very sad indeedy :D !

When No Angels first came on Channel 4 years ago probably the first series the music played was mainly soul of the deeper side and i just used to watch it for the music , even though the show itself was not too bad.

Edited by shinehead
Social source share

Guest john boland

Heard The Champion last night on Cowboy Builders , its more of a surprise not to hear some northern used as a backing to tv shows these days.

Social source share

Guest toffee lady

That nurse series which was on Channel 4 a few years back..seem to play quite a lot of soul on it...also...a couple do pop up on Come Dine With Me....or is that another programme??? :huh: ..Delxxxx

Was it called No Angels?

Janette

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I remember hearing Sue Lynn Don't pity me on Coronation Street a while back with Deirdre and Ken sat in the Rovers.

I never watch it , but i do remember a few years ago there was a (disco) in the Rovers and it was all northern soul , but i can't for the life of me remember how i got to know it was on or even remember a single sound !
Social source share

Guest mickmac

That Beating Rhythm was played on the last episode of some TV solicitors Drama, set in Leeds approx 10-12 years ago. The series was written by the same guy that wrote "Silks" seen on TV last year I think.

Social source share

On one episode of Heartbeat every tune was a Northern record,first one was Lillian Dupree Hide and Seek,The Spy Guys From Uncle.Cant remember the rest but I remember thinking at the time they might be putting a Northern compilation to go with the other Heartbeat CD series

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest allnightandy

There was once an episode of Coronation Street which included a disco in the rovers and every record was a northern track can't remember any of them though ! LoL

Sky sports used to use Right Track by Billy Butler on some sports programmes

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

On one episode of Heartbeat every tune was a Northern record,first one was Lillian Dupree Hide and Seek,The Spy Guys From Uncle.Cant remember the rest but I remember thinking at the time they might be putting a Northern compilation to go with the other Heartbeat CD series

Nothing to do with this topic !

My son appeared in two episodes of Heartbeat ! :yes:

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

"Come on train" was used in an advert fairly recently, seem to remember it had some bloke skating around.

Youre right I had forgotten all about that one till you jogged my meory,was it a bank advert or something as he was skateboarding in some city centre setting?
Social source share

Youre right I had forgotten all about that one till you jogged my meory,was it a bank advert or something as he was skateboarding in some city centre setting?

It was an ad for Barclaycard, and it wasn't the original Come On Train, it was a remixed version that was available on iTunes.

Social source share

Guest madmarx

Bari Track, On Come Dine With Me

Come dine with me from Bradford this week

Wade in the water and in crowd Ramsey Lewis

Then Landslide on same episode

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Harry Betts orch Theme from the fantastic plastic machine, I have heard it played a lot lately on "Storage Wars", on one of the cable channels,they seem to use it a lot as background.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Sat watching No Angels when I heard an old favourite, couldn't remember title (not unusual these days)

Bought 2 voluimes of soundtrack - wasn't on but CD's worth having.

Remembered about a week later - Track was Cold wave by Daisies

post-12950-0-51198500-1337446333_thumb.j

post-12950-0-43418500-1337446342_thumb.j

Edited by DerekG
Social source share

Harry Betts orch Theme from the fantastic plastic machine, I have heard it played a lot lately on "Storage Wars", on one of the cable channels,they seem to use it a lot as background.

Remember this at Wigan, covered up as Jealously, nigh on impossible to dance to, unless you'd had shed full of Riker.

Aid.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest manusf3a

The other night on the programme about the original wags,the players wives of 1966 Landslide ,well large sections of it got played numerous times throughout,Tina Moore was absolutely lovelyshining out brighter than all the other wives combined,,,,,,,,,,,,,j.I have vivid memories of watching the world cup all sat round the black and white telly at home my dad jumping up and going wild whenever we scored,and how brilliant the mood was when we won for days on end.I also remember going to the pictures(cinema to some ,pictures to me)to watch the film goal some months later showing the final and competition in "living techniclour"and it was brilliant, people cheering the goals,weaing scarves etc.Well at least I wil have seen England win a competition once for football in my lifetime!.Till then it will be the same old getting up hope with an opening result or results in the competition then just as Tony Clarke puts it"Misery coming down on me!",as England f..k it oop in the later stages but so what ,I will not stop supporting them.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!