Latin Soul / Jazz - Recommendations Please

eddiep

Hi everyone,

After seeing local Essex boy, Snowboy perform this weekend in a 4 piece Latin Jazz group I gotta say I was blown away by the musicianship and grooves they were performing. Although more towards the jazz side of things ( Jimmy Smith, Chick Corea etc) it has kinda inspired me to seek out some of the Latin soul stuff. No very little about this genre and tracks out there so a few pointers from you good people would be appreciated please.

What would you recommend ???

Cheers,

Eddie

Over to you.........

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Worth a punt on getting discograpgies for some of the bigger labels and go from there......Alegre, Fania, Uptite, Cotique etc. You'll find some great tunes and artists, plus credits. That can then take you on to discover some of the smaller label stuff, producers who've had their hands ion many pies which might lead you onto some real latin soul gems.

Plenty of pioneers for latin soul in the UK, just like the peeps who pushed northern. Many of these folk have written a lot about it and published play lists.

One such fellow who lives up my way is Lubi Javanovic, who's basically lived and breathed Latin American/soul music for 30years! He brought Joe Bataan to Leeds for a legendary gig i believe

Social source share

Thanks guys for the leads.

I'm aware of Joe Bataan, Mongo Santamaria, Bobby Valentine, Harvey Averne through the Northern scene but there must be some other great stuff out there along them lines. Will be doing some digging soon !

TOAD..... I checked out that Los Charly's Orchestra tune.

Sounds great considering it's a new recording. Will definately check out some more stuff by them.

Thanks again for your reply's. Any more suggestion's are very welcome. :yes:

Also .... Are there any good compilation CD's out there??

Cheers,

Eddie

Edited by eddiep
Social source share

Latin soul and Latin jazz are totally different.Snowboys live music is definately in a Latin jazz bag.Try these on youtube Bobby Montez-Kontiki,Jack Costanzo-Atu,Candidos Comparsa lp,Cal Tjader-Song Of The Yellow River,Eddie Palmieri and Charlie Palmieri stuff, Tuto Puente-Titos Odyessey.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

los charlys orchestra a new group from london sound sample on crazy beats web site

We have their new 45 in stock "My Barrio" regards Simon.

Social source share

Love a bit of latin/jazz/funk.

You could do worse than this, legend.

Big with the Warrington crown at Berties night club Newquay circa82, loved it then, love it now.

Also try Tania Maria, Come with me, title track, but fantastic album I've never ever tired of.

Few others I like Flora Purim,Bebel Gilberto, Al Di Meola (Land Of The Midnight Sun, great album) Chick Corea.

Cheers ears

Aid.

Social source share

Quite a few of the late 70's jazz funk LP's had latin style tracks on the - here's a few worth checking out -

Willie Bobo - Always There

Cedar Walton - Latin America

Mongo Santamaria - Sambita

John Klemmer - Brazilia

Should be able to pick them all up fairly cheap

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!