Butch C/u - Jean Carter

Markw

Guest marco

This is one of the few records that would benefit from having the vocals removed & being turned into an instrumental dancer (the vocals are that poppy and crap).

Can't say its a track I'd ever want to listen to away from a nighter venue, much better sticking with sumat with decent soulful vocals for real listening purposes.

I tend to agree with you - but boy does it (and she) sound good when you're blocked on the dancefloor at a nighter!

Social source share

:yes:  :yes:  :thumbup: no

yes is the ultimate tune ever,but never brings it to Berlin,maybe this July he will,

yeah, remember Mick when he turned to us & said "you expecting an oldies night" kin brilliant! only one person on this planet could say that :thumbup: , oh! & for me Jean is one the all time greats, energy & atmosphere thats why we travel :yes:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest giant

I'm guessing this was done without him knowing, snide trick that IMO.

snide is understatement ,no doubt someone snide will do a carver  from that youtube clip.

Social source share

I do think some have a tendency to think that we're all influenced by the rarity of a record rather than its content, which in my case just isnt true. I've heared this said of records like Buddy Smith and the Prophets (Shrine). I had no idea of their rarity when first hearing them, just that they were both utterly amazing records.

Not a big fan of Love Slave though, but can completely get why some would like it, again like JC when bursting out of the speakers at a nighter.

Right there Byrney, but IMHO Buddy Smith is not up for debate, plain and simply an incredible SOUL record, some might say its Northern, some would even say its Deep, rare or not rare just incredible. Antellects on the other hand does nowt for me, and can understand debate rarity over quality etc

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 5 years later...
46 minutes ago, simon t said:

WTF the vocals compliment the superb orchestral backing IMO.....maybe bit poppy but crap, go get your hearing checked out lol.....like in previous posts when you hear this over a good sound system and loud it has that special vibe that most appreciate.....not heard it out for a long time about time Butch sold it on to a dj that plays it out lol.....

Social source share

2 hours ago, Steve L said:

Just re-read this old thread, all those who said this record was "poppy" and not very good need to go & give their head a sheck to coin a phrase! 

One of the finest northern tracks ever to grace the scene, a perfect dancing record which sadly I haven't had the opportunity to do so for a long time now.......☹️

Better than the Parliaments, Steve? LOL. Always said it was one of the best.

Northern perfection. 

Edited by KevH
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, chalky said:

The only people dissing a record like this don’t do all-nighters.  Its a fantastic dance track?  Records like this is what the scene is all about. 

Somebody put me out of my misery, what is the record being discussed here? Not The Antellects or Mighty lovers, the c/u. I need to hear it! :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Karl. Well said mate. Proper nighter tune 

Steve 

I find it laughable mate when records like this get slagged off.  Ok it might not be as black or soulful as some southern soul artist, but we aren’t talking chill out rooms here. It is a full on dancer, the type of record the niter scene has thrived on and the thpe of record it is crying out for now. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
51 minutes ago, markw said:

It's a one-off Decca acetate - unknown artist, title "I Wanna Know"

has a Lorraine Chandler vibe to me but I know nothing

Social source share

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2013 at 17:03, Roburt said:

This is one of the few records that would benefit from having the vocals removed & being turned into an instrumental dancer (the vocals are that poppy and crap).

Can't say its a track I'd ever want to listen to away from a nighter venue, much better sticking with sumat with decent soulful vocals for real listening purposes.

No, not having that. Its the whole package that makes it a classic. Poppy and crap? Never heard such poppy cock. Hearing this out at 3 am full blast is what it all about. Can't argue with the last paragraph though.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

6 hours ago, ezzie brown said:

just an awesome niter tune...........end of.............dancing around the room listening to it on the tape mark...brill...hope alls well...........heard you got hold of that certain tune we used to talk about...good 😀

All good here thanks Ezzie mate. Been missing you at GoGo Children niters. You’d like the new venue. Hope you’re well and hope to see you soon. I did indeed land that cracker in the end! 😉🤓

Social source share

10 hours ago, markw said:

All good here thanks Ezzie mate. Been missing you at GoGo Children niters. You’d like the new venue. Hope you’re well and hope to see you soon. I did indeed land that cracker in the end! 😉🤓

yep im fine bro..starting to think i should get out a bit again before it really is to late  lol.................listening to butchs stuff gets me going 😉

Social source share

• 2 months later...
On 07/02/2019 at 21:55, Ted Massey said:

Jean Carter and the Mighty Lovers are the 2 BEST NORTHERN SOUL RECORDS EVER 

Two very good tunes Ted but still outclassed by Martha Jean Love’s ‘Old Time Lover’, Joseph Webster, Walter and the Admerations, Parisians and a few others. Of course it depends on the tempo you prefer at whatever stage of the night you’re at, but whether it’s an exclusive to Butch or one of three known copies, he sure has the magic touch.

Social source share

1 hour ago, corbett80 said:

I'm sure there was a WCD cover up that someone (i thought Butch) was playing. Maybe i've made it up! Hazy memory...

I think there is  have  seen it on a 100 club review from a while back and I was thinking "i like the sound of that " ,im sure someone will put us right. Listening to this clip again from above just immense.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!