Butch C/u - Jean Carter

Markw

Dumb question repeated; so how does he get them/find them?

He's been a top level dealer for ages was one of the key men at stafford.

Remember hearing him dj for the first time at the Mexborough niter shortly after stafford stopped . He absolutely blew me away.

Derek

Social source share

• 7 years later...

Guest Byrney

Proper Northern and would have gone big in any era IMO.

8 years after this topic started and this is still a record that without exception drags me to the floor.

Social source share

Me and Arthur were on the balcony a couple of life lines ago when he played this we turned to each other and said fookin hell. I think its the percussion in it that really drives it along the best un released NS record ever imo

proper northern imo cant stop playing it in the car

Social source share

Guest Byrney

You really need to hear this coming out of the speakers at a nighter to get full gist of how good a northern soul record this is.

But still lags behind Butch's Might Lovers Cover Up :)

Social source share

I'm with Byrney on this one. Awesome but definitely not as good as Mighty Lovers.

Somebody put me right on this. Is it actually a cover up or simply unknown artist?

A bit anal I know but unknown artist might suggest it will never be truly uncovered.

Social source share

You really need to hear this coming out of the speakers at a nighter to get full gist of how good a northern soul record this is.

Hear, hear. I love the Jean Carter acetate, and Butch told me the artist is unknown. But the Mighty Lovers acetate is on another level.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Hear, hear. I love the Jean Carter acetate, and Butch told me the artist is unknown. But the Mighty Lovers acetate is on another level.

Answered then Phil - artist unknown. Any clue on the Mighty Lovers as to whether or not its the same deal - unknown or cover up waiting to be uncovered.

Social source share

Guest giant

He's been to the states many times over the years. He's made contacts from the industry, and I believe he has been buying vinyl heavily since the early 70s, when they were dirt cheap. Many of the one off's that he has, he's had for many years. Even his cover up's from 20 years ago, that have been uncovered, are still dog rare i.e. Mellow Souls, Mac Statten, Stormy Winters etc. The man has put the time, effort and money in, and if you haven't heard him, I would recomend you do. You don't get to be No.1 over night, and Butch is number one. No doubt about it.

i think you more or less got it right about what you say about Butch ,number No.1 dj and a extremely knowledgeable guy.

Social source share

Yep, Mighty Lovers is unbelievable!!! Jean Carter isn't though (I'm the minority lol)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nobody would listen to the Antellects if it wasn't rare. No redeeming features whatsoever.

I like Jean Carter, though it's a little too poppy for my tastes it's undeniably a brilliant mid 60s dance record. However Antellects I adored from first hearing, it stands out immediately with its own original sound and is solid atmosphere, I didn't know it was rare when I first heard it (I can be very dim that way) and struggle to imagine how it can be described in this way; each to his own though.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I like Jean Carter, though it's a little too poppy for my tastes it's undeniably a brilliant mid 60s dance record. However Antellects I adored from first hearing, it stands out immediately with its own original sound and is solid atmosphere, I didn't know it was rare when I first heard it (I can be very dim that way) and struggle to imagine how it can be described in this way; each to his own though.

I do think some have a tendency to think that we're all influenced by the rarity of a record rather than its content, which in my case just isnt true. I've heared this said of records like Buddy Smith and the Prophets (Shrine). I had no idea of their rarity when first hearing them, just that they were both utterly amazing records.

Not a big fan of Love Slave though, but can completely get why some would like it, again like JC when bursting out of the speakers at a nighter.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

That recording is slightly slower than the real thing. Wasn't this done by recording from the decks at the Dome? I'm pretty sure Butch would never have allowed it to be done if he had known.

I'm guessing this was done without him knowing, snide trick that IMO.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

reminds me of lorraine silver.....not my cup of tea really.......to uptempo in the complete wrong way........

Social source share

I'm guessing this was done without him knowing, snide trick that IMO.

remember this, there was a big furor at the Dome, about somebody who had somehow got into the system, I mean the cabling in some way, and was recording tracks, this may have bee the one that got recorded..?

I think its a great dancer, we've all spent time Yalloping about to it at the 100 club...

M

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

remember this, there was a big furor at the Dome, about somebody who had somehow got into the system, I mean the cabling in some way, and was recording tracks, this may have bee the one that got recorded..?

I think its a great dancer, we've all spent time Yalloping about to it at the 100 club...

M

Yeah it was Big Gav, he was quite open about it, put it all on a couple of cd's and gave them away to anyone who wanted them.

Social source share

SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT

The underhand/unauthorised recording of Butch's set was NOT done at the Dome/Capitol Soul Club. It was done at the Rocket venue by a guy called Gavin, as previously pointed out by Pete.

Back to 'Jean Carter'...I love it and have done from its initial 100 Club plays many years ago. It is a track that you need to hear loud over a club system to really appreciate it in context. A timeless stomper of a tune, and like others it instantly shuts me up, stops me talking vinyl and commands me to sprint to the dancefloor!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The underhand/unauthorised recording of Butch's set was NOT done at the Dome/Capitol Soul Club. It was done at the Rocket venue by a guy called Gavin, as previously pointed out by Pete.

your right Dave, strangely I had the rocket in My mind, but wrote the Dome... anyhow you were sprinting....

M

Social source share

Sorry, didn't clock that..

Social source share

heard the jean carter many times now......never fails to get me shuffling about ....................... wether drunk sober or whatever medical condition i have got at the time............just a proper niter dance tune no matter who recorded it , white, green, blue ,young or old ....stands out a mile from most of the stuff we hear nowadays .ez

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Sorry, didn't clock that..

Same here, sorry FLynny - I heard it was the Rocket and just didn't register... I think all know the Dome wouldn't ever have pulled a low stunt like that.

Social source share

That recording is slightly slower than the real thing. Wasn't this done by recording from the decks at the Dome? I'm pretty sure Butch would never have allowed it to be done if he had known.

The one from the decks at the Rocket had some feedback at he beginning. If this is slower it is only very slightly.

It's records like this that made me go back to an allnighter every week, and the hope I would hear more new discoveries like it, it is what it should be all about, top notch northern soul. Must be one of the longest cover ups alongside Diane Lewis?

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Same here, sorry FLynny - I heard it was the Rocket and just didn't register... I think all know the Dome wouldn't ever have pulled a low stunt like that.

No need for anyone to apologise...just wanted to ensure that the truth is out there :)

Back to "Jean Carter"....didn't it come via John Anderson and is an uncredited acetate...so does that qualify as a "cover up" per se!?

Damn! All this talk of cover ups and Butch spins has reminded me of another one of his forgotten spins that I still need...."Along came sadness"...and the fact that it is not on YouTube or available as a download or a sound file doesn't bother me...in fact I like it that way...keeping it special, exclusive and elusive! Some tracks need to be untouchable to keep us chasing, keep us interested and keep folk attending nighers!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Back to 'Jean Carter'...I love it and have done from its initial 100 Club plays many years ago.

This is one of the few records that would benefit from having the vocals removed & being turned into an instrumental dancer (the vocals are that poppy and crap).

Can't say its a track I'd ever want to listen to away from a nighter venue, much better sticking with sumat with decent soulful vocals for real listening purposes.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!