Butch C/u - Jean Carter

Markw

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Jen said:

Martha Jean Love, Old Time Lover. About the best clip online of it recorded at the Blackpool International Soul Festival this year

Been waiting for a nice clear clip for a while. Still one of my favourite sounds. On a 10 inch acetate so a tricky record to cart around. A true ‘one-off’ that I hope one day will be released on the Butch label, hint, hint...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Been waiting for a nice clear clip for a while. Still one of my favourite sounds. On a 10 inch acetate so a tricky record to cart around. A true ‘one-off’ that I hope one day will be released on the Butch label, hint, hint...

It would be great if all his cover ups could be issued for our enjoyment.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, Jen said:

Martha Jean Love, Old Time Lover. About the best clip online of it recorded at the Blackpool International Soul Festival this year

I was there for this, on the dance floor. Butch's whole set was excellent and he played many of my (and I'm sure many others) favourites: Jean Carter, Martha Jean Love, Ruby Andrews, Mighty Lovers, Vessie Simmons (didn't know that one, really good) plus Barons Of Soul, Mill Evans, CODs, etc. Absolutely brilliant, and so was the set an hour later in the Crossover room. Glad I was there for this even though I'm still tired now.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

57 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Absolutely not , the so-called 'scene' is so "watered down" these days that it would be a dreadful thing if every 'Tom' , 'Dick' and 'Harry' had access to Mark's wonderful collection of unknowns and one-offs ( along with all the other exclusives owned and played by that small band of brothers such as Kitch and Colin Law to mention just two )

The fact that you have to make the conscious effort to rack up the miles in order to catch those brittle 10"  bundles of joy , that you can't hear at every Mickey Mouse soul night or tired oldies nighter , is all that is distinguishing the "proper scene" from the sanitised sadness that is tagged 'Northern' these days .

Long may Mark continue to keep his one-offs as one-offs and his cover-ups well covered up ... :thumbup:

You may be right, but sadly Butch doesn't play them that often, but maybe that's what makes them great.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!