Goodbye Larry Saunders

Guest Paul

Reports from the southernsoul list that Larry Saunders (Frankie Sanders) died last Monday.

Sorry no details yet but what a grossly underrated singer he was.

Very soulful and expressive.

Rest in peace, Larry.

Paul

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Gutted to hear that Paul, was only listening to some of his stuff today.

Great artist, his "Three Strikes On Me" knocked me bandy first time I heard it and in fact still does.

:(

Checked this out on the Tube and the comments bear the report out

'Three Strikes On Me' has always been my favourite too, Dave.

I'll never get tired of it.

Nice to see so much about Larry on your facebook group.

Paul

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

Presume people know this but Ledisi 'found' her father a few years ago - Ledisi's mother, Nyra Dynese, sang in an R&B band, which was called "Coronava". Whilst pregnant with Ledisi, she played in this group and she also co-wrote the 70's hit "Pillow Talk" with Larry Sanders. Ledisi was the daughter of Larry Sanders, the outstanding singer/guitarist and is granddaughter of the late blues singer Johnny Ace.

Link to story - https://www.bvnewswire.com/2009/06/19/ledisi-free-after-finding-father-and-forgiving-him/

Social source share

Guest brummiemick

Agree Chalky, an amazing double sider on Sho-Me then Juana from the early 80's (not a lover of much 80's stuff myself, but both sides of this record are superb imho)

sad news again!

steve

https://youtu.be/jxWqH1MJkRM

RIP Larry!

Steve thanks for the "Blues Time in Birmingham" have never heard it till now. What a lovely track. Seems appropriate that I make it my anthem! Would it be easy to get this 45?

Social source share

RIP Larry!

Steve thanks for the "Blues Time in Birmingham" have never heard it till now. What a lovely track. Seems appropriate that I make it my anthem! Would it be easy to get this 45?

The Juana release should be about a tenner mate, the Sho-Me I'd have thought twice as much, but if the side ya into is "Blues Time" then the Sho-Me release gives ya a wee bit more of it at nearly 5 mins against the Juana at less than 3 and a half.

hth

steve

Social source share

Guest Heartnsoul

Yeah just noticed! always thought Sho-Me was a local release before Juana? Mebs they just wanted to issue it again with the longer A side "Blues Time"?

steve

Me too. Mebbe they just thought it's so goo it deserved another release? 'Just another look' blew me away first time I heard it at the end of a Wilton all nighter, sooooo soulful!

RIP Larry

Rich

Social source share

Is the Larry Sanders 45 on Modern, "I'm In Love" / "You're My Girl" (Modern 1053) the same guy?

On repeated listening via youtube I can't decide.

the modern record originally came out on the hot cakes label out of Mobile, AL (weird that modern picked up another record, they didn't really do that). I don't really know the bio of this larry saunders but if it doesn't include being in the south it's probably not the same guy.

Social source share

Thanks for the info about another release of that 45 Bob as that helps to join a few of the dots. I knew there was a local issue but never having seen one I had no idea where it was from.

This Larry Sanders was based in the South for parts of his career. Bits of The Sound Of Soul album were cut at Muscle Shoals Sound and of course "Blues Time In Birmingham" places him in Alabama too (with a Mobile distributor's address) so strong evidence pointing to it being the same artist.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Listening to the Youtube clip of "I'm In Love" I'd say it was deffo the same guy. The Larry Saunders we're dealing with spent most of his life in Mobile, AL.

Beginning of "Three Strikes On Me" ... "I was born in Alabama, in a city called Mobile".

I believe his funeral was on Feb 11th in Saraland, a little north of Mobile

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert