Rugby's 9Th Anniversary All-Niter Playlists

Exhumed - to reveal; disclose; unearth - the floor spoke for me and the soul scene reckons you want to encourage young blood...hang your head in shame.

Calm down, calm down.

It was the word "exhume" I found amusing, given its' usual meaning.

Each to their own passions and "scenes", no shame here.

John

Edited by johnmcc
Social source share

hang on to your hat, lad...no one's deriding you for being 14 and putting up a set that lacked this or that or wasnt expensive enough. the fact is somebody ( rugby promoters ) had the forward thinking bravado to give you the opportunity and bearing in mind the majority of praise you've recieved here, you'll get plenty more chances to express yourself...you DONT have to challenge people, ( though sometimes i do think its like banging your head against a brick wall), you've caused a stir and you will be taken notice of, its not just about inducing new blood to the dancefloor but about people like yourself, interpreting how far you've come and how much you've learned and getting behind the decks to entertain folks, especially several hundred, who are hanging on your every introduction, is daunting, full stop. you obviously took it in your stride, but you've got to allow commentary on here, to float over your head, wether good or indifferent..just look forward to your next adventure...you never know...kings - tower - lowton might come calling.

Far too angry, read the posts again, nearly all are supportive, here and in the lookbacks on Rugby. If you're gonna be a DJ you are on occasion going to get criticised, happens to all of them, they take it with good grace, nothing to go off on one IMO.

I know that OVO is a touchy subject, I'm afraid I am not one of those OVO freaks I think the person who said I will be known from this and hopefully it will work in my favor. I lost my temper, which was maybe wrong, but we all make mistakes. However, I am still finding myself and because at the moment Northern Soul is basically my way of life any digs at anything are going to hurt me. A few people have made digs but on the other hand, I have had a lot of praise and its the little things that can niggle away at you KTF! Tom x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Woah laddie, djn some are gonna like your sets some wont. Weve already gone overboard to say fair f9cks to ya for playin at 14 but with over 800 quid to spend no need to play boots.

The best buzz as a dj imo is when after a good floor reaction someone asks ya what was that last record you played.

For the record i dont care if you play boots or originals as long as i know in advance then i can make an informed decision, now am aware Rugby is any format night be it a 14 year old, 44 year old unemployed trying to collect and feed his kids or someone on a pension. I prefer nights where i'll go up to the dj hopefully once and say "what the feck was that"

Social source share

I think a lot of you are missing the point, you may not be bothered about how old I am or how much I had to spend on what you played, but a lot of people on the soul scene DO CARE about this sort of stuff. I like the 'big sounds' as that is what puts the 'Soul' in Northern Soul it has the heavy beat and fast tempo of the mid-1960s Tamla Motown sound that makes them 'big sounds' and that is what I like and I am going to play. Okay yes the record may however, generally eschew Motown or Motown-influenced music that has met with significant mainstream success but thats the whole point of it. Most of the records I played have been exhumed and exalted in the 70's and that is still the case today. I don't see the point of bringing something different to the scene as why try and fix something that works? To begin with the notoriety of DJs on the northern soul scene was enhanced by the possession of rare records, but today the next generation are slowly making there way through. Now to be fair some people are giving me seconds thoughts of even bothering so, if anyone has a problem with me playing a set with Re-issues, sequencing together a collection of records to create euphoric highs and lows for the crowd, and trying to live up to the high expectations of the Northern Soul while doing this, they quite frankly know where to go.

Foookin' hell only 14!!

Big pat on ya back kid for having the bollocks to stick a PDD/ Grapevine/ CSP on the decks and then to put the playlist up with labels!! Quality!!

Keep doing what your doing, the labels come when a job that pays well comes along, anything you get in the mean time is all a bonus.

Don't ya just love it when fresh faced youth comes along and sticks the middle finger in ya face!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Just opened my box after the weekend to put em away so here you are between 3-4am

Billy Sol "Time Time" Domar.

Freddie Williams "I've Got To Live Wile I Can" Holywood.

Jesse Davis "Gonna Hang On In There Girl" Era.

Patti & the Emblems "It's The Little Things" Congress.

Clarence Hill "A Lot Of Lovin' Goin' Round" Mainstream.

Elbie Parker "Please Keep Away From Me" Veep.

Chryslers and the Monarchs Band "I'm Not Gonna Lose You" JeJody.

The Soul Set "Will You Ever Learn" BI-ME.

The Chaumonts "Love Is The Thing" Caravelle.

Joy Dawn "Love" Unissued Studio Acetate.

The Exceptions "Baby You Know I Need You" Groovey Grooves.

Moses Dillard and the Dynamic Showmen "I'll Pay The Price" Mark iv.

The Intros "Stop Look and Listen" Jamie.

The Cashmeres "Show Stopper" Hem.

Paris "Sleepless Nights" Doc.

Wayne Lo Guidince "Eye To Eye" Unissued Studio Acetate.

Joey Gee "Don't Blow Your Cool" ABC Paramount.

The Fiestas "Think Smart" Old Town.

The Mods "Dry Your Eyes" Fona.

Adams Apples "Don't Take It Out On This World" Brunswick.

Ray and the Blue Satins "She Dosen't Love Me" Arv.

The Sinceres "Girl I Love You" Pzazz.

Irma Routen "I Will Sacrifice" MGM.

The Blossoms "That's When The Tears Start" Reprise.

The New Yorkers "Don't Want To Be Your Fool" Tag Ful.

The Sonics "Find Myself Another Girl" Valmon.

Hummm... that's sounds so good my friend

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!