Guest ollesoulster

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 14
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The 12" has about 30 secs more of the instrumental final bit.

To be honest nothing better to the 45.Only a bit louder..?

I think Keb was playing for a while arthur Fenn's copy? can't remember

Ta

Toni

;-)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Is it a size thing John? If there were 10 copies of the 7" and two copies of the 12".I would suspect the 7"s would fetch a higher price than the 12"s.

Just a thought!

Pete

I suspect that if there were 200 of the 7 and 2 of the 12" the 7 would still fetch more as it tends to be a more collectable medium and the collectors themselves are usually prepared to fork out more for their wants ;o)))

I know Keb was desperate for one a while back but like Toni said there is hardly any difference other than an extended instrumental break.

JoT

BTW It was Arthurs copy that Mr McMad was playing don't know of too many others Paul Phillips from Solar has one but i expect there are a few lying around in collections all over the shop ;o))

Social source share

Guest j a c k o

I guess some people would want the record in it's rarest form whether there's a huge difference or not. While the seven inch was in vogue oop north, I'd imagine many twelves never got a second look at the time and are still waiting to be found.

By the way does anyone know if Alan Harris "Get Ready" was ever released on 7". I can't remember ever seeing one but the 12" i've got is over 7 minutes long and I'm sure it was never that long when I used to hear it played out.

Andy

Social source share

The 12" has about 30 secs more of the instrumental final bit.

To be honest nothing better to the 45.Only a bit louder..?

You can get several minutes of music on to a 7", I can't remember exactly how much, I'm sure it's over six minutes, but the volume is low. That's the reason 12" were ''invented'' in the mid 70's for disco. The needle moves from side to side to generate the sound and heavy bass lines need the most movement and hence you often find short tunes pressed up on 12" e.g. "dance hall" ragga stuff.

On the Northern side check out the difference between the volume and the track width on originals of Gwen Owens; the first press is very quiet with the grooves very close together and that's the reason those buggers skip!!

Social source share

By the way does anyone know if Alan Harris "Get Ready" was ever released on 7". I can't remember ever seeing one but the 12" i've got is over 7 minutes long and I'm sure it was never that long when I used to hear it played out.

Andy

Yes. I saw one many years ago, Robin Salters's? (It was about 20 years ago!)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!