Chico Lamarr - What Do You Think I Am

Quinvy

Just noticed this on Johns auction site, again. Me thinks he must have quantity from the west coast big hit. Seems like an awfull lot of minters around. My mate bought one off him a while back, had a lump in the vinyl, so he sends it back. Guess what, John replaces it with a minter. MMMMMMM. Can't be that rare then, can it.

Same goes for Troy Dodds - mint issues everywhere. :thumbsup: What do you think.

Edited by quinvy
Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Just noticed this on Johns auction site, again. Me thinks he must have quantity from the west coast big hit. Seems like an awfull lot of minters around. My mate bought one off him a while back, had a lump in the vinyl, so he sends it back. Guess what, John replaces it with a minter. MMMMMMM. Can't be that rare then, can it.

Same goes for Troy Dodds - mint issues everywhere. :thumbsup: What do you think.

Great record .A Gary Rushbrooke spin back in the the early-mid 80's if my memory serves me right.

If there are a few copies around it gives me a little hope of eventually owning one :thumbsup:

Derek

Edited by blackwhite
Social source share

Great record .A Gary Rushbrooke spin back in the the early-mid 80's if my memory serves me right.

If there are a few copies around it gives me a little hope of eventually owning one :thumbsup:

Derek

Don't be so sure Derek, John is far more savy than those yanks who flood the market. He sneaks them out now and again. Last I heard at £2000 a time. :thumbsup: Great record though, I agree.

Best Phil.

Social source share

Don't be so sure Derek, John is far more savy than those yanks who flood the market. He sneaks them out now and again. Last I heard at £2000 a time. :D Great record though, I agree.

Best Phil.

Great record ineed. The thing with JM's auctions now is that if ANYONE in UK wants to move a "rarity" then the odds are it's John that does it for them on commission. Of all the dealers (professional and part time), he consistently achieves more for records than others. I daresay that most of the auctioned items over the last few years have not been from JM's "stock" at all, but rather from ours! The "collectors" LOL!

We then of course complain about the price of everything going through the roof! LOL!

Regards,

Dave

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

so how do you tell the difference with the

Sousan bootleg copy from the real deal

I aint ever seen the boot

Don't think I have either Gash :D As good as it is I got tired of hearing this record.

Would prefer to hear the Bessie Banks on his auction to this now...pity it's a UK copy :D

Social source share

If there are a few copies around it gives me a little hope of eventually owning one :D

Derek

Chico Lamarr was also a popular record in the North Wales area in 1975 and was regularly spun, (along with the equally good B side How about you ) in North Wales soul club promotions by myself. I never regarded it then as a top rarity,and i still don't now. If its fetching £2000 now well "Thats inflation man" as our American cousins would say. Also on John Manships auction are two other popular North wales spins from 1975, Minnie Jones & The Fabulous Jades. If you go to JM's back sales list no 903 you'l find Minnie Jones listed @ £200 (excellent condition ) but upon phoning it had gone within minuites of him opening. Possibly the same record...............possibly. Back to Chico Lamarr though & the Penetrations version of how about you entitled Sweet sweet baby is equally as good, and that was issued on two labels Teri Di & Highland. Finally is Chico Lamarr really Len Jewel ?

Regards to all, lRitchie Andrew. :D

Social source share

Chico Lamarr was also a popular record in the North Wales area in 1975 and was regularly spun, (along with the equally good B side How about you ) in North Wales soul club promotions by myself. I never regarded it then as a top rarity,and i still don't now. If its fetching £2000 now well "Thats inflation man" as our American cousins would say. Also on John Manships auction are two other popular North wales spins from 1975, Minnie Jones & The Fabulous Jades. If you go to JM's back sales list no 903 you'l find Minnie Jones listed @ £200 (excellent condition ) but upon phoning it had gone within minuites of him opening. Possibly the same record...............possibly. Back to Chico Lamarr though & the Penetrations version of how about you entitled Sweet sweet baby is equally as good, and that was issued on two labels Teri Di & Highland. Finally is Chico Lamarr really Len Jewel ?

On the same lines as the Minnie Jones incident, same thing happened a couple of weeks ago when a copy of the Ster-phonics was on his list. When I rang to purchase said 45, the girl checked the computer and said,that's funny it was sold two days ago. So should be on the auction in a couple of months then. :D

Social source share

Great record ineed. The thing with JM's auctions now is that if ANYONE in UK wants to move a "rarity" then the odds are it's John that does it for them on commission. Of all the dealers (professional and part time), he consistently achieves more for records than others. I daresay that most of the auctioned items over the last few years have not been from JM's "stock" at all, but rather from ours! The "collectors" LOL!

We then of course complain about the price of everything going through the roof! LOL!

Regards,

Dave

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Dave, I know you are right in what you say, because John has sold records for me on his auction, and, has achieved top prices for them. But I've also bought from the auction, and when I rang to pay, I have asked about trades. The girl then checks to see if the item won is a customers or Johns. He will trade on his own stuff but not for cutomers records. Obviously, he has to pay them, so cash only. So some of the auction items are his, believe me.

Best, Phil.

Social source share

Back to Chico Lamarr though & the Penetrations version of how about you entitled Sweet sweet baby is equally as good, and that was issued on two labels Teri Di & Highland. Finally is Chico Lamarr really Len Jewel ?

Hello Ritchie,

The Chico Lamarr flip,"How about you" & The Penetrations "Sweet, sweet baby" are exactly the same record/recording. So The Penetrations was just another name Leonard Jewell was calling himself. It's definitely him, he had such a distinctive voice.

pottsy.

Social source share

Hello Ritchie,

The Chico Lamarr flip,"How about you" & The Penetrations "Sweet, sweet baby" are exactly the same record/recording. So The Penetrations was just another name Leonard Jewell was calling himself. It's definitely him, he had such a distinctive voice.

pottsy.

Sorry mate no offence meant with the post. :thumbsup:

Edited by quinvy
Social source share

Guest Soulfood33

so how do you tell the difference with the

Sousan bootleg copy from the real deal

I aint ever seen the boot

There is no Soussan bootleg to may knowledge and i'm old...

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33

Hey Pottsy,

Please will you stop cueing your records up when DJing, I won your Appreciations on John's auction the other week, thought I'd got a bargain an ole till I put the needle to the groove. sssssssssssss cue burn. Can't wind them styrene records back without knackering em. Had to send it back, can't abide cue burn. Kindly stop it. :shades::thumbsup:

Best Regards, Phil.

Expensive styrene 45 I's never dream of DJ with unless I took my own needles but then nobody asks me to DJ so my styrene babies are "hiss free"

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33

They said that when he was selling Donna King for £8 and Gerri Hall @ £1.50 don't buy them and didn't Pete S tell us 3 years back not to buy Teri Goodnight (and every other West Coast record ever made) cause it's in quantity, still waiting to see one for sale.. Chico Lamar is just my typa tune.. pure class. Do you think JM would replace my warped copy of Danny Moore for a mint Chico?

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33

Regards to all, lRitchie Andrew. :thumbsup:

puzzled by "903 you'll find Minnie Jones listed @ £200 (excellent condition ) but upon phoning it had gone within minutes of him opening. Possibly the same record" ???

So he waits two years to list it again?? more likely he has 100s of copies and just says no it's sold because he doesn't like selling records and really wants to be postman. Question 2. Is Chico Lamar - Len Jewell, well according to Steve Cooper who met him in los angeles and bought his spare vinyl back in the 70s says Len Jewel told him he was Chico Lamar.

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33
a few of us talking about this yesterday and none of us knew of one. One did say they had seen copy with black label :shades:
there certainly is no Simon bootleg, the "black copy" must have been on the same list as the "Thumb A Ride" demo.. :thumbsup:
Social source share

They said that when he was selling Donna King for £8 and Gerri Hall @ £1.50 don't buy them and didn't Pete S tell us 3 years back not to buy Teri Goodnight (and every other West Coast record ever made) cause it's in quantity, still waiting to see one for sale.. Chico Lamar is just my typa tune.. pure class. Do you think JM would replace my warped copy of Danny Moore for a mint Chico?

Oh here we go yet again. I named about 20 records and 15 of them are for sale almost every week from various places. So I was wrong on 5, big deal. How many Jackie Days were there????

Social source share

puzzled by "903 you'll find Minnie Jones listed @ £200 (excellent condition ) but upon phoning it had gone within minutes of him opening. Possibly the same record" ???

So he waits two years to list it again?? more likely he has 100s of copies and just says no it's sold because he doesn't like selling records and really wants to be postman. Question 2. Is Chico Lamar - Len Jewell, well according to Steve Cooper who met him in los angeles and bought his spare vinyl back in the 70s says Len Jewel told him he was Chico Lamar.

Dear Soulfood33.... 100's of copies of Minnie Jones.........and the band played "beleive me if you like". But thanks for the comfirmation i was after, regarding Chico Lamarr from yourself & Pottsy.

Regards to All Ritchie Andrew. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Gerri Hall - one of the best blind buys I ever bought off JM. I promptly filed it with the rest of the rubbish in me mams attic for years - and then old Gerri kindly went big. :D It paid for a great fortnight eating and drinking in Italy for me an our lass sad.gif

Social source share

didn't Pete S tell us 3 years back not to buy Teri Goodnight (and every other West Coast record ever made) cause it's in quantity, still waiting to see one for sale.. Chico Lamar is just my typa tune.. pure class.

No sane person should buy Terri Goodnight full stop. Pete's advice was very sound in this respect. Rare or not it's just one of those records that makes me angry when I hear it. It has no redeeming features whatsoever, except its uncanny ability to get collectors with more money than sense to buy it. Jackie Day is pretty poor too. Phelectron was one hell of a label! All IMHO of course.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

No sane person should buy Terri Goodnight full stop. Pete's advice was very sound in this respect. Rare or not it's just one of those records that makes me angry when I hear it. It has no redeeming features whatsoever, except its uncanny ability to get collectors with more money than sense to buy it. Jackie Day is pretty poor too. Phelectron was one hell of a label! All IMHO of course.

sad.gif:D

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33
a few of us talking about this yesterday and none of us knew of one. One did say they had seen copy with black label :)
There is a Black label called Fuller is that the confusion, maybe? And Johnny Fuller did a R&B dancer on Veltone which is also black in colour....so we're now all confused.. Edited by Soulfood33
Social source share

Regards to all, lRitchie Andrew. :lol:

Ritchie I feel I must defend our beloved ovenchips here as he is auctioning the Minnie Jones & the Minuettes for me. also list 903 is a very old list with inflation plus mine being in better nick I should be £££££££££££££££££££££ in.

my post comes at twelve o clock so you have a good chance of buying set sale

so why not bid on this one if your still after it

ps I think you owe Mr Manship an apology :lol:

best regards Flanny

Social source share

Hello Flanny,

This is the post I've been waiting for. This posting confirms that the record on auction is not the same one on list 903. I did try to buy that one on list 903 early on but was unsucesssfull. If you bought your copy of Tim Asibendee, its my old one. I sold it to him in Burslem record fair S. O. T. in i think 1977. Regarding our friend JM i purposly put "posssibly" the same one. There was nothing untoward intended by this.

Best Regards-Ritchie Andrew. wink.gif

Social source share

• 13 years later...
On 03/12/2005 at 13:18, RitchieAndrew said:

I am new to this site and found this thread (let me apologise if this has been covered elsewhere) in answer to the last question

I also found this amazing link about the Platters

https://www.celebritydirect.biz/monroe/bio.htm

Am I OK to assume he is the same Chico

CHICO.jpg

Chico.jpg

CHICO  PLATTTERS.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source