Tyrone Davis - (Artist Of The Week)

45cellar

• Replies 44
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

'I Had It All The Time' has always been a special favourite...

Here they go, the same two feet

Walkin' back down that one-way street

Here goes this heart of mine,

It said 'you got to get her back one more time'

Another favourite of mine is 'I Can't Make It Without You' but there are many more.

Paul

Social source share

Hi!

Leo Graham talks briefly also about Tyrone at

https://www.soulexpre...ttans_part4.htm

Best regards

Heikki

not that relevant in this thread, but since you have a writeup of him... Leo Graham produced the Love Column record on Duo. I asked him if he remembered the group and who they were and he didn't remember the record at all. I made him a CD and sent it to him and he never got back to me. I know he's done much more important things like his work with Tyrone, which overshadows his smaller productions, but I'm trying to document the smaller stuff. If you ever talk to him again, please ask him about that record, maybe talking to him the first time or sending him a CD stirred up some memories.

I still have to email you my dramatics question btw. Thanks.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

In spite of enormous R'n'B chart success over a long period, Tyrone Davis was curiously overlooked, even by Blues and Soul (featured in #36 (1970) and then not to #298 (1980)), even though John E Abbey was a fan and later signed him to his Ichiban label.

His Dakar material has been released over and over again, including all of his known Dakar material on the Ladies Choice triple CD, but even this did not include any previously unreleased material.  Was nothing left "in the can" at Dakar?

There are few really obscure Tyrone tracks.  Perhaps the least well known are "How Can You Call That Love" and "Don't Fight The Feeling" which appear on the UK Manhattan 5033 LP "Doris Duke and Friends".  These were recorded at the same time as the Sack 4359 single "I'm Running A Losing Race" and "I Tried It Over (And Over Again)", which are also included - with slightly different titles - on the album, along with tracks by Jean Bland and Mamie Galore (nothing by Doris Duke). 

And the earliest known version of Can I Change My Mind, with great guitar work, but no horns, and an abrupt ending, which was included on the UK compilation Soul Bible chapter one (Probe SPB1061). 

Here are three of my favourite, perhaps lesser-known, ballads from the Dakar era: "This Time"; "You Wouldn't Believe"; and "You Don't Have To Beg Me To Stay". 

Kevin in Chester

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!