Denbo

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It's from 1967, out of Pitsburgh,- produced by Joe Rock (producer of The Skyliners). Pressed (and seemingly distributed by Atlantic/ATCO Group). "Tell Her" is a ballad. I'm pretty sure that I remember "Letter Full of Tears" being the same mid-tempo song as Gladys Knight v& Pips version. It sounds like early '60s R&B/Soul transition recordings (more of a shag/beach sound than a NS beat. But, I guess those are considered NS "crossover" now. Sorry, I don't have sound files to upload.

marcels6.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Social source share

It's from 1967, out of Pitsburgh,- produced by Joe Rock (producer of The Skyliners). Pressed (and seemingly distributed by Atlantic/ATCO Group). "Tell Her" is a ballad. I'm pretty sure that I remember "Letter Full of Tears" being the same mid-tempo song as Gladys Knight v& Pips version. It sounds like early '60s R&B/Soul transition recordings (more of a shag/beach sound than a NS beat. But, I guess those are considered NS "crossover" now. Sorry, I don't have sound files to upload.

marcels6.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Robb,

That looks like the standard Gateway pressing labels and font. They were similar to the Atlantic distributed labels. It does say manufactured by Gateway, although it's missing the usual GQP code on the label, maybe it's in the deadwax. I don't have this but I have a different 45 on Chartbound, an excellent 'Pittsburgh sound' instro by Simon and the Piemen.

Social source share

Music - The Marcels

try here for sound files, they are short.

ricky.

Thanks Ricky BUT . . .

Only one of the two sides I'm after sound files of was available on that website and that one was a recent re-recording. :(

So, still holding out for sound files of this record, both sides if at all possible.

PLUS, if anybody has a copy for sale, please PM me.

Thanks.

Social source share

This is the 5 strong multi-ratial group that hit big with "Blue Moon" in 1961. The two white guys quit after trouble when they toured the southern States. When they cut their last 45 for Colpix in 1963 the group members were Fred Johnson, Richard Harris, William Herndon and Walt Maddox.

I'd guess it was the same guys in the group when they cut "Letter Full of Tears" for Chartbound in 1967.

As Walt Maddox & the Marcels they re-cut "Letter Full Of Tears" for Super M in 1982.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

There is a great version of the same song by NANCY WILCOX on 70s KING, nice crossover midtempo, lovely record...Have one but cannot find the clip on youtube now...It was there a while ago and I loaded it up in the 'RECORD OF THE DAY VOL 1' thread... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Still after a copy of this.

Thought I had one but the guy had sold it at a local flea market about a month ago. Oh well, back to the drawing board. :(

Somebody out there must have a copy for sale. Please . . . . . .

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!