Uk Customs Service... Question

Andreas

Hi all,

just one question.. what happens with a parcel that landed at the customs service to pick up by paing fees if it´ll be not picked up, does it go back to the sender or what does they do with it? ..and how long does it take before they take action with the parcel?

any info is very appreciated :hatsoff2:

cheers,

andreas

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest allnightandy

I would imagine they notify the buyer to collect it

keep it a set amount of time , maybe three months and if it's not claimed

Sell It

Like the rail companies sell off unclaimed lost property and baggage as do

HMRC with unclaimed baggage from ports and airports

and the postal service does with parcel that are wrongly addressed and cannot be returned due to no return address being present

the police also sell off property handed in by the public

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

As far as I am aware if excise duty (tax) is payable for release and it is not paid, the parcel will be returned to sender and then you will have to retrieve your payment (less postage). If the parcel has been sent from America, the sellers don't usually declare the value of the contents (and no tax is incurred), however, due to claims being made for damaged/lost items, some sellers are covering themselves by putting the actual selling price as the value and therefore are able to claim their monies back if a claim is made (if a nominal value is not shown it is difficult for the seller to claim a refund).

Hope this helps.

Bob

Social source share

The Post Office will keep the packages for one week if it's Recorded. And all other items for 3 weeks before returning to sender.

I have another question for everybody. Is there a right of appeal? If you think that a Tax + charge has been incorrectly made, can you appeal the charge.

Also, is Tax due on second hand items? Like second clothing?

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Guest julesp1905

As far as i'm aware, certainly for items charged by Royal Mail, there is no right to appeal, the fees are calculated by the value declared on the customs form.

Social source share

As far as i'm aware, certainly for items charged by Royal Mail, there is no right to appeal, the fees are calculated by the value declared on the customs form.

Is Tax due on second hand items? Like second hand clothing?

Edited by denbo
Social source share

The Post Office will keep the packages for one week if it's Recorded. And all other items for 3 weeks before returning to sender.

I have another question for everybody. Is there a right of appeal? If you think that a Tax + charge has been incorrectly made, can you appeal the charge.

Also, is Tax due on second hand items? Like second clothing?

its now 18 days for all items. you can appeal against the vat charges if you think there wrong , all items are returned to sender if there is a return address, if not they are sent to belfast , to somewhere that just deals with items without a return address, they are opened to try and find one,quite a few items do get left just because of the high charges, hope this helps.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!