Northern Soul Monster Tempests Someday (On Stardust)

I love soul music but what I don't like is the prestige held by owning rare records that aren't freely and cheaply available. It's just a sad waste to see these records gathering dust in some record collection. Obviously, if I was minted (do people say that still) my opinion might change!

Words of a Non Collector!!

If you collected maybe you would get it

Very few of us are " minted" and THAT is part of the passion!

N x

Social source share

Well that all depends Kev, I could tell you of one event in our neck of the woods where at least some of the DJs including the promoter play boots

I know what you mean Dave, but it's your neck of the woods and no longer mine. Spain beckons. Tempests on the terrace but not on the dancefloor!

:hatsoff2: - Kev.

Social source share

I love soul music but what I don't like is the prestige held by owning rare records that aren't freely and cheaply available. It's just a sad waste to see these records gathering dust in some record collection. Obviously, if I was minted (do people say that still) my opinion might change!

This has nothing to do with being minted or even being a really rare track the point is that someone has paid 150.00 quid for at best a reissue when you can find the original Smash albuim for anythng fromm 50.00 to 100.00 getting the said track in it's original format and a blinding album, who says you have to be minted to collect? more to do with knowing the subject being able to learn and have your own mind rather than taking short cuts and paying way over the odds for something that has no actual collectable value more to do with must have than actually doing a little leg work and digging for the original album, of course people do what they do with their own money but this is just silly and a total waste of their hard earned, the funny thing is they could have got the album and had change to buy some other records lol

Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Also thought there was some sort of Kopell connection Nige but never had a solid answer.

Reason I want to know is that I sort of aquired a Stardust test press off the Mrs of Timi Yuro. Not really my thing at all but if it is legit it must be pretty scarce as never seen another Stardust test press & Liberty copy's go for close on a grand now.

Does look quite good too as label printed & all artist / title info hand written.

Might be off to the bay if it is as scarce as I'm hoping.

I've had one of those as well.

Social source share

I sold 2 copies in December for £50 and £60 respectively, one mono, one stereo. One had a little scratch but was otherwise mint, the other was ex.

I know, there was a couple of albums off that particular list I wanted to buy, but was under 'lockdown' from the wife!

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

Bought both a mono and stereo copy of the Tempests LP in 2009, so I immediately sold my Stardust copy of Someday on Ebay - I got £8 for it frusty2.gif

There's some silly money being paid for bootlegs at the moment.

One thing I have noticed, the Gwen Owens 'Just say you're wanted' 70's boot used to sell for £40 or more on Ebay, but the new Outta Sight lookalike re-issue has knocked it back to around £15 - maybe that's a good thing, but I had been planning to cash-in and sell my 70's Gwen Owens bootleg. Seems I can't win!

Thing is a lot of these boots are getting scarce remember most are over 30yrs old .plus stuff like Narbay on Grapevine are very collectable,Soul Sam played Sam Williams on a Grapevine demo at the recent Winter Gardens Nighter
Social source share

not sure If mentioned before, but my lp is Stereo, are they rarer than the mono version?

You generally see more stereo copies around, It took me longer to get hold of the mono version.

Not sure, but I think the rarest version is the European issue on Phillips, 'Well Tempered Soul'.

The American mono white demo is next in the pecking order I think.

Mine are both USA standard issues, with the promo stamps on the rear cover.

I've compared them side by side and the mono one sounds thicker, but has more of a 'ballsy' quality. The stereo one reveals more detail on the vocals and musical arrangement, but has less of a punch sonically - a bit of a 'Hole in the middle' effect.

I Told SWMBO that I'd keep the one I preferred and then sell the other one on - Two years later I still find I'm unable to part with either one of them.

Social source share

You dont always need to pay to $$$ for good records.......get diggin'.

Russ

Social source share

You dont always need to pay to $$$ for good records.......get diggin'.

Russ

Your dead right Russ , ive got records that cost me a fiver that sound better than thousand pound records to me. Just because its a four figure sum doesnt mean its good , everyones tastes differ. I like ALL soul music , whether it be northern , modern, crossover, r'n'b etc , but i find the rarer the record , it just doesnt float my boat somehow.

Social source share

i think we`d all buy the top flight rarities if we were minted. as it is you just have to be the best that you can be and be happy and satisfied with it

Social source share

Guest franky m

These high sale prices on boots seem to get a lot of comments on here , are the bids for real? has anyone here sold a reissue / boot correctly descibed and got one of these crazy bids and got payed?

Social source share

• 6 years later...
On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2012 at 12:42, Steve Plumb said:

I have a 70's Gwen Owens boot on the bay at the moment https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/grumble1991/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

I know the new reissues have affected the price BUT i have been offered £25 to end it now so maybe there is life in the old dog yet?

The Re-Issues Of The Seventies Pressing ? Don't Have The Brilliant " Still True " On The B-Side ( So I Will Definitely Be Keeping Mine ) As an original Is Out Of The Question !! .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2012 at 11:36, Nige Brown said:

A Couple Of Weeks Back , I Noticed A " 100 Club Anniversary " Copy Of " What's With This loneliness "on John Manship Auctions , A Top Price For The Seller ( Can You Guess How Much It Went For ) ? ?? . 

I never knew this had a Stardust release,,,, only seen the 100 Club Anni single which are quite hard now

Edited by earlvandykes6
Add To The Comment !
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!