Northern Soul Monster Tempests Someday (On Stardust)

I know this is covered regularly but just seen this on EBAY currently selling at £60 with 2days and 23hours to go.

The record is described as "The ONLY way to own on a single , now long deleted , one of the rarest stardust issues"

Surely cant be that rare or command such money realisticly, and who buys these at these prices?

Any thoughts?

TOTP

Social source share

Bought both a mono and stereo copy of the Tempests LP in 2009, so I immediately sold my Stardust copy of Someday on Ebay - I got £8 for it frusty2.gif

There's some silly money being paid for bootlegs at the moment.

One thing I have noticed, the Gwen Owens 'Just say you're wanted' 70's boot used to sell for £40 or more on Ebay, but the new Outta Sight lookalike re-issue has knocked it back to around £15 - maybe that's a good thing, but I had been planning to cash-in and sell my 70's Gwen Owens bootleg. Seems I can't win!

Edited by Soul16
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

i sold my stardust copy for £5 @ an alldayer in glenrothes,the same day i got a sealed stereo copy lp for £25 @ a record fair in glasgow.

think was black knight records & he had a good pile of the tempest's & the hesitations lp's.

should of bought them all,lol.

Social source share

This should be now moved to Comedy Sale of the Day post,,,, never thought id see the Day when the Stardust Re Issue goes for more than the original LP!! :facepalm:

Wonder if the seller has a a few copies :g:

N x

Lunacy Nige, didnt the Frank Wilson' Stardust fetch a few bob too a few years back?

Social source share

Bought both a mono and stereo copy of the Tempests LP in 2009, so I immediately sold my Stardust copy of Someday on Ebay - I got £8 for it frusty2.gif

There's some silly money being paid for bootlegs at the moment.

One thing I have noticed, the Gwen Owens 'Just say you're wanted' 70's boot used to sell for £40 or more on Ebay, but the new Outta Sight lookalike re-issue has knocked it back to around £15 - maybe that's a good thing, but I had been planning to cash-in and sell my 70's Gwen Owens bootleg. Seems I can't win!

I have a 70's Gwen Owens boot on the bay at the moment https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/grumble1991/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

I know the new reissues have affected the price BUT i have been offered £25 to end it now so maybe there is life in the old dog yet?

Social source share

This is getting beyond a joke... take a deep breath everyone:

https://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

I'm going for another lie down..

Just noticed this up on ebay......unbelievable £159 and the auction aint finished yet.....a bit of scouting and youll get the Smash lp for 70 quid.....surely this stardust 45 has the same credability as makin a carver of 'someday'.....hard to comprehend really

Social source share

just a thought !! , whoever is buying this are they buying it to dj with ? if so is this considered ok at an ovo night only as the original is lp only ? :g:

No it's not OK.

I've got a Stardust copy that I paid £2.50 for. I would gladly have paid twice that so that I can stick it in a jukebox when I get one. Fine to play at home - and that's about the only place for it.

:hatsoff2: - Kev.

Social source share

just a thought !! , whoever is buying this are they buying it to dj with ? if so is this considered ok at an ovo night only as the original is lp only ? :g:

I sincerely hope they're not planning to DJ with it and no, IMHO it's not acceptable at an OVO night. Home use only. The LP sounds better, has other great tracks on it and is far cheaper. It's a no-brainer, much like the buyer of the Stardust 45 I guess. :)

Social source share

i asked the very same question on facebook the other day , the replys i got from djs was that it was fine to play this at an ovo night as the sound quality is better than the lp !! also it ruined the sleeve by taking the lp out to dj with !!! :huh:

whoever has bought this imho hasnt bought it for home use , so if djs feel that its ok not to take an original lp out coz you might bend the sleeve and use there crappydust copy instead is it ok to have the originals at home and use boots/reissues so you dont ruin there orig :ohmy:

Social source share

i asked the very same question on facebook the other day , the replys i got from djs was that it was fine to play this at an ovo night as the sound quality is better than the lp !! also it ruined the sleeve by taking the lp out to dj with !!! :huh:

whoever has bought this imho hasnt bought it for home use , so if djs feel that its ok not to take an original lp out coz you might bend the sleeve and use there crappydust copy instead is it ok to have the originals at home and use boots/reissues so you dont ruin there orig :ohmy:

for what the fcuk wit has paid for that he could have bought a copy of the album and some pvc sleeves to protect his album covers and still had enough left over to buy a sturdy box to carry his albums around in

Social source share

Just wanna Say had seveal PMs and Face book Pms about this

It was NOT me who sold this for deffo!!

In some ways i wish it was then in some ways im glad it aint me

Nige Brown

even if it was you(which it's not) what do you do as a seller turn the buyers money down,don't forget there must of been 2/3 bidders at least prepared to pay more than a ton
Social source share

Could someone finally please clear up how legitimate these Stardust releases are?

Have heard on a number of occasions that they are legally pressed in Canada so therefore they are not bootlegs.

Also have a very good reason for asking (& it's got nothing to do with The Tempests release).

Social source share

Could someone finally please clear up how legitimate these Stardust releases are?

Have heard on a number of occasions that they are legally pressed in Canada so therefore they are not bootlegs.

Also have a very good reason for asking (& it's got nothing to do with The Tempests release).

Im may be totally wrong the first ones came from Anglo American in Todmorden over 10 years ago,, so i always assumed the Canada Conection was Martin Kopell Tims partner in Canada

As for how legit they are god knows!!

N x

Edited by Nige Brown
Social source share

Im may be totally wrong the first ones came from Anglo American in Todmorden over 10 years ago,, so i always assumed the Canada Conection was Martin Kopell Tims partner in Canada

As for how legit they are god knows!!

N x

Also thought there was some sort of Kopell connection Nige but never had a solid answer.

Reason I want to know is that I sort of aquired a Stardust test press off the Mrs of Timi Yuro. Not really my thing at all but if it is legit it must be pretty scarce as never seen another Stardust test press & Liberty copy's go for close on a grand now.

Does look quite good too as label printed & all artist / title info hand written.

Might be off to the bay if it is as scarce as I'm hoping.

Social source share

Looks like five people were bidding for it, and the winner placed their bid (at least £159 and probably more) at least seven days before the end (10 day listing) so was obviously determined to get it at any cost.

That's the price some are prepared to pay I suppose.

What can you say but "THE STRANGE WORLD OF NORTHERN SOUL"

Regards Bob

Social source share

Also thought there was some sort of Kopell connection Nige but never had a solid answer.

Reason I want to know is that I sort of aquired a Stardust test press off the Mrs of Timi Yuro. Not really my thing at all but if it is legit it must be pretty scarce as never seen another Stardust test press & Liberty copy's go for close on a grand now.

Does look quite good too as label printed & all artist / title info hand written.

bloody hell martin, that test press has been in your sales box for about 5 years, still the only stardust test ive ever seen, bet you wish it was the tempests

Social source share

I have a rather dodgy looking test press of Howard Gayton on a Stardust test press, I say dodgy because the label although hand written is rough around the edges and not very professional (unless its meant to be that way).

Bob

Social source share

No it's not OK.

I've got a Stardust copy that I paid £2.50 for. I would gladly have paid twice that so that I can stick it in a jukebox when I get one. Fine to play at home - and that's about the only place for it.

:hatsoff2: - Kev.

Well that all depends Kev, I could tell you of one event in our neck of the woods where at least some of the DJs including the promoter play boots

Social source share

Have you seen who the bidder is, it's Colin Curtis rebuilding his collection lol lol

does this mean that i can play my dodgy looking cd of this out lol lol

Social source share

Could someone finally please clear up how legitimate these Stardust releases are? Have heard on a number of occasions that they are legally pressed in Canada so therefore they are not bootlegs. Also have a very good reason for asking (& it's got nothing to do with The Tempests release). Im may be totally wrong the first ones came from Anglo American in Todmorden over 10 years ago,, so i always assumed the Canada Conection was Martin Kopell Tims partner in Canada As for how legit they are god knows!! N x

Like you I always assumed it's Martin Kopell.

First Stardust releases appeared in the early 90s, or at least that's when I saw them for the first time. Tempests around mid 90s at a guess.

IMO Stardust is nothing but a bootleg label, period. They might be legal in Canada due to a loophole in copyright laws but surely aren't licenced at all. Bit like the belgian Marginal CDs from the 90s. If a record is re-released w/out consent of owner of rights it's a bootleg.

Whoever bought that specific Tempests 45 on Ebay bought it to dj with. "45 has better sound quality than the LP", that's just bullshit unless the only copy of the LP one has ever played was a G- US mono press. I've owned/heard various presses of the LP over the years, canadian, dutch stereo, german stereo and they all have supreme sound quality.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Some people make the rules up as they go along constantly moving the goal posts when it suits there total lack of understanding of the presentation of the original ethos of this music, what a kop out to say would rather have the 45 than the original album as it fits in their box lol we all know the only original format of this tune is album only, as for buying it for home use thats up to them I guess but to pay way over the odds for nothing more than a bootleg reissue at best is a joke trouble is it ain't even funny anymore totally clueless when the album is pretty easy to locate if you dig a little.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Pompeylor

I love soul music but what I don't like is the prestige held by owning rare records that aren't freely and cheaply available. It's just a sad waste to see these records gathering dust in some record collection. Obviously, if I was minted (do people say that still) my opinion might change!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!