Phyllis Brown - Ive Got Something On My Mind- Was This Booted?

Guest brianw70

• Replies 11
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

There's nothing in Mr M's book 5 other than the Le Cam 630 release.

But there is also one on Soft 1023 credited to Sonny & Phyllis with "Love, love, love" on the flip side.

Could you be thinking of this one?

I've got the Le Cam release but I'm not aware of any boots, but that does't mean much - specially when mine was a market stall find during the 80's or thereabouts.

I could find it out and post a scan if anyone wants to compare it.

I seem to recall it is a sort of duet song anyway, with a male vocalist singing as well as Phyllis

Social source share

There's nothing in Mr M's book 5 other than the Le Cam 630 release.

But there is also one on Soft 1023 credited to Sonny & Phyllis with "Love, love, love" on the flip side.

Could you be thinking of this one?

I've got the Le Cam release but I'm not aware of any boots, but that does't mean much - specially when mine was a market stall find during the 80's or thereabouts.

I could find it out and post a scan if anyone wants to compare it.

I seem to recall it is a sort of duet song anyway, with a male vocalist singing as well as Phyllis

It is a duet, Sunny & Phyllis, just credited to Phyllis. There's definitely two presses - either that, or a massive amount of originals came in and were sold very very cheaply.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Came out twice on Le Cam just under her name...purple and green labels.

Also as Sunny & Phyllis on purple Le Cam...maybe other colours too.

Sunny is Sunny Threatt...he was in the Nomads on Mo-Groov.

Also recorded by Paul & Paula on Karat...slightly different backing track with an extra bit in it (not a lot of people know that, as they say!)...but sadly the vocals are a bit too Pop to my ears.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Came out twice on Le Cam just under her name...purple and green labels.

Also as Sunny & Phyllis on purple Le Cam...maybe other colours too.

Sunny is Sunny Threatt...he was in the Nomads on Mo-Groov.

Also recorded by Paul & Paula on Karat...slightly different backing track with an extra bit in it (not a lot of people know that, as they say!)...but sadly the vocals are a bit too Pop to my ears.

:hatsoff2:

great info cheers mate, now looking for paul and paula on karat (note to self: must stop this silly record hunting thing) :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 years later...

These are Major Bill Smith releases, so all logic goes out of the window. It's just info, floating in space...

Phyliss Brown: I've Got Something On My Mind / Roma (Le Cam 630).
Black text on light blue or green, 1967(?). 
Pink text on white pressing was probably a 1970s reissue for market demand, or just a Bill Smith cash-in.

Sonny & Phyllis: I've Got Something On My Mind / Love, Love, Love (Soft S-1023)
Silver on purple. Same A-side track as above, possibly around same time as first Le Cam press but likely later.

Le Cam Cat. number LC-630 was also shared by Berry Street Station: I Don't Care No More / King Bee.
Blue text on white. That was a (likely) 1970s reissue of Soft 1020 backed with a sax instrumental known also as "Bread and Soul" or "Soul of a Man
" (Mark II and Robert Thomas on Charay) and "Funky Funky" (Mike Teague on Christi C-3377, Betty Brooks on Le Cam LC-107 and Zuma on Maridene M-108 [maybe?]).

Edited by Daddy Bones
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

These are Major Bill Smith releases, so all logic goes out of the window. It's just info, floating in space...

Phyliss Brown: I've Got Something On My Mind / Roma (Le Cam 630).

Black text on light blue or green, 1967(?). Pink text on white pressing was probably a 1970s reissue for market demand, or just a Bill Smith cash-in.

Sonny & Phyllis: I've Got Something On My Mind / Love, Love, Love (Soft S-1023)

Silver on purple. Same A-side track as above, possibly around same time as first Le Cam press but likely later.

Le Cam Cat. number LC-630 was also shared by Berry Street Station: I Don't Care No More / King Bee.

Blue text on white. That was a (likely) 1970s reissue of Soft 1020 backed with a sax instrumental known also as "Bread and Soul" or "Soul of a Man" (Mark II and Robert Thomas on Charay) and "Funky Funky" (Mike Teague on Christi C-3377, Betty Brooks on Le Cam LC-107 and Zuma on Maridene M-108).

Steer clear of the Sonny and Phyllis version - very "poppy".

The copy I had years ago was a Green label from memory but sold that. I still have the white with purple or pink (depending on how you look) lettering. They are not boots, but Major Bill was renowned for keeping his catalogue on the market, I guess just like the Arctic label in the sense of first or second press, but all legit.

Social source share

Steer clear of the Sonny and Phyllis version - very "poppy".

The copy I had years ago was a Green label from memory but sold that. I still have the white with purple or pink (depending on how you look) lettering. They are not boots, but Major Bill was renowned for keeping his catalogue on the market, I guess just like the Arctic label in the sense of first or second press, but all legit.

I agree Andy, the purple text on white label is a reissue. The green label is the original.

Social source share

Mine was blue and still had stickers over the numbers/label (came straight from a dj just before the purple/white ones appeared in the shop) so they used more than one colour..

Isn't the Sonny & Phylis on Soft identical except for the 'double' intro?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert