Obscure - unusual Foreign Releases

Tubbs

ANYONE GOT ANY OBSCURE FOREIGN RELEASE 45'S SEEN A FEW LATELY. I'LL START IT OFF WITH A FEW I'VE GOT

SISTER SLEDGE LOVE DON'T YOU GO THROUGH JAPANESE ATLANTIC WITH WRAP AROUND PIC SLEEVE

SEVEN SOULS I STILL LOVE YOU FRENCH EPIC PIC SLEEVE

BALTIMORE AND OHIO CONDITION RED NEW ZEALAND STATESIDE

BONNIE HERMAN HUSH DON'T CRY CANADIAN COLUMBIA

SPELLBINDERS HELP ME CANADIAN COLUMBIA

METROS SINCE I FOUND MY BABY CANADIAN RCA

MIRACLES IF YOUR MOTHER ONLY KNEW CANADIAN TAMLA

TEMPTATIONS I WANT A LOVE I CAN SEE CANADIAN TAMLA

TRAMMPS STOP AND THINK GERMAN PIR

NINA SIMONE TOUCHING AND CARING GERMAN BELLAPHON

Social source share

• Replies 940
  • Views 133.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I have The Metros - Sweetest One - Canadian RCA with a promo sleeve plus about 300 Canadian issue Tamla Motown, starting with Blue Tamla labels then the traditional Yellow label and onto the white label with Tamla Motown on.

I used to have a Brazilian copy of Girl Watcher ( I think I sold it to Frenchie many years ago)

Also have Rocky Roberts - Italian Pic. Sleeve

newer04

• Helpful 1
Social source share

SAM DEES - FRAGILE, HANDLE WITH CARE ( JAMAICAN ATLANTIC)

OTIS REDDING - DOCK OF THE BAY (LEBANESE STAX)

GLORIA GAYNOR - PARK AVENUE SOUND LP (BRAZILIAN POLYDOR)

FIRE & ICE - HELLO STRANGER (DUTCH MERCURY)

Social source share

Ben E King _ I Cant Break The News To Myself (Greek Atlantic) something given to me as freeby many years ago in among a number of Greek Atlantic issues of Aretha, Don Covay etc.

Never realised there was any interest in this until recently!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

I picked up the following in New Zealand 3 years ago, all NZ originals:

SOLOMON BURKE: Stupidity (Atlantic)

FRED HUGHES: Oo Wee Baby, I Love You (Fontana)

LEE GRANT: Movin' Away (HMV) - same as Kenny Lynch

THE JEWELS: Gotta Find A Way (Colpix)

AD LIBS: The Boy From New York City (Pye)

GENE CHANDLER: Duke Of Earl (Top Rank)

WILBERT HARRISON: Kansas City (Top Rank)

THE SHIRELLES: Soldier Boy (Top Rank)

LITTLE ANTHONY & THE IMPERIALS: Shimmy Shimmy Ko Ko Bop (Top Rank)

MAJOR LANCE: The Monkey TIme (Columbia - green label)

JIMMY RUFFIN: What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted (Stateside)

SUPREMES: Nothing But Heartaches (Tamla Motown - neat looking red label!)

BARBARA GEORGE: I Know (London)

CHRIS KENNER: I Like It Like That (London)

SAM COOKE: You Send Me (London)

GENE McDANIELS: Hit After Hit (Liberty LP).

...plus about 100 other pop/rock n'roll 45s from the 50s/60s!!

One shop owner allowed me to go through some unsorted stock in the back of the shop, but refused to sell me "Since I Found My Baby" by the Metros on NZ RCA (red spot), after he played it, saying it was going straight into his collection!! He was armed with the US Goldmine Price Guide, where it was valued at $150, so I guess that must have influenced his decision!

Gene

PS - it's gone quiet.....I was waiting for Agent Double R-Soul to say "There are 20,000 soul records pressed in Australia, and I've got every one of them twice!!!"

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Just bought a french lp (SR Records..?) with Pic & Bill (also released in Spain and Germany i was told) that featured both "it's not you" & "talk about love" ...nice!

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest micksmith

FRANKIE & JOHNNY-BELGIUM.

CHAPTER 5-SOUTH AFRICA.

7 SOULS-ITALIAN.

PAUL SINDAB EP(INCS CANDY ETC)-FRENCH.

MARVELOWS(SOMETHING ETC)-FRENCH.

JOHNNY WYATT-GREAT P/S-BELGIUM.

THERE ARE LOADS OF FOREIGN N/SOUL.

PLUS 50 FRENCH TAMLA MOTOWN EPS.

Social source share

Micksmith> The Paul Sindab french ep is really impossible to find now ... A collector's nightmare ...

Many many other rare Northern soul french pressings like Ray Pollard ep incl. The Drifter + It's a sad thing or Helen Troy "I think I love you" - Betty O'Brien "She'll be gone"

also the impossible Willie Hutch "Love's run out" on french RCA 7"...

Some killer tracks were only released on 7" in France like Tami Lynn french EP on Atco with "Runaway" (a capitol soul club spin I think) or the monster "A lovely way to die" by Jackie Wilson

Social source share

• 6 years later...

Unusual releases from around the world

There's some stunning releases out there,

Obscure, Unexpected and from various parts of the world.

Never ceases to amaze me.

We have seen various threads relating to unusual finds

The life of a collector is forever challenged.

Here is a place to throw a spotlight on some of them.

ARGENTINA

Tamla_Motown_VIPA-0001a_300-1.gifTamla_Motown_VIPA-0001b_300-1.gif

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not in a place I can upload a pic right now. I won the recent (3 or 4 week ago)on John Manship, Edwin Starr - Stop her on sight / I have faith in you, on Norweigan Tamla Motown (TMK 123). Thought it worth it as a curiosity to own on TM. Sure the Stop Her On Sight is a slightly different take, not much in it but still a curiosity.

Social source share

Now that really is a nice one - I believe it's album only as far as US and UK releases are concerned?

I have this on a motown cassette from years back, brilliant track and would be massive if played out IMHO.

:yes:

Social source share

GLOBE_JET-1310-A___.gifGLOBE_JET-1310-B-2.gif

A Japanese copy :thumbsup:

You may be pleased to know that my book on 60's US Soul released in Japan during the 60s is coming along quite nicely. I've pieced together the Motown output (45/EP/LP) and gone through all the trade catalogues for all other labels...1000+ releases in all! It is all boiling down to the cosmetic appearance...whether to scan all the labels as well as the pic sleeves and how to lay it all out...a time consuming thing and I keep changing my mind!

:thumbsup:

edit: just checked the release date for the above 45...July 63 in the US and Dec 63 in Japan...wonder why 'Nov 63' is written on the label? (There are no finished label promos)...and who is Charles Lee I wonder?!

Edited by Anoraks Corner
Social source share

A Japanese copy :yes:

You may be pleased to know that my book on 60's US Soul released in Japan during the 60s is coming along quite nicely. I've pieced together the Motown output (45/EP/LP) and gone through all the trade catalogues for all other labels...1000+ releases in all! It is all boiling down to the cosmetic appearance...whether to scan all the labels as well as the pic sleeves and how to lay it all out...a time consuming thing and I keep changing my mind!

:lol:

Having seen quite a few of them....all I can say is go the whole hog son!

Social source share

Now that really is a nice one - I believe it's album only as far as US and UK releases are concerned?

Nice 45 and a great track. It's taken from their 'Feelin' Bluesy' Lp and did not get a 45 release in The US or UK as far as I know. Album also contains the sublime "what good am I (without you)" which didn't get a 45rpm release either.

Cheers,

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!