Obscure - unusual Foreign Releases

Tubbs

• Replies 940
  • Views 134.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Meant to return to this earlier today on ebay but forgot. Was on for strating bid of $49.99, which I thought would be too much . . . but I like these Motown curios. Anyway, not mine. If anyone has any notion of estimated price I'd be interested to hear. Portuguese

post-5677-0-55062100-1305731908_thumb.jp

post-5677-0-89347200-1305731910_thumb.jp

post-5677-0-25059000-1305731913_thumb.jp

Edited by Dean
Social source share

Love this, German Tamla Motown (Musterplatte) Demo in English, and in the original 'Demo' cover too

I buy a lot of my tunes simply for the aesthetic value, especially the US Promo Motown, Gordy ect.

Just love the plain white labels with the black print, simple, but just looks the dogz...........

kiki.jpg

Edited by steveLuigi
Social source share

Can't do scans just now but may I add the following to this thread:-

Ain't love wonderful-Fantastic Four-Ric Tic (Jamacia)

Somebody up there likes you-Jackie Wilson-Coral with pic sleeve (Mexico)

I want to give you my everything-Carl Douglas-Pye (Argentina)

The weekends here-Chubby Checker-Cameo Parkway (Australia)

I Still love you-Seven Souls-CBS with Pic Sleeve (Italy)

Are you ready for this-The Brothers-RCA with pic sleeve (Italy)

You Gotta let go-Marcia Hines-Dig It with pic sleeve (Italy)

Reach out I'll be there-Four Tops-Tamla Motown demo with pic sleeve (Spain)

Come back-Fantastic Puzzles-Pye with pic sleeve (Portugal)

when I get sorted I'll scan and add them in

Social source share

Not sure if I have done this correctly ( scanner virgin!!) but should be attached a scan of a Lebanese copy of Earl Jackon's Soul Self Satisfaction, and its not a big bullet hole in the middle!!

It's incredible that some of this stuff got out.

FFS how does Soul Self Satisfaction get a Lebanese issue ????

Tony

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Lebanese was a plethora for major label soul releases in the mid 70 ' s .. I have purchased a few on Atlantic by Margie Joseph amongst others... a regular seller once told me from Lebanon that it was a hotbed for soul in the 1970 ' s period ohmy.gif

Your right Glyn, it was partly because Beruit was a real trendy place to go, very liberal etc until the punch ups started. Andy

Social source share

In the sixties JJ Jackson had a 4 track EP of Calla recordings released on French Vogue.

Saw this on Ebay many years ago (at least 10) and won it for next to nothing. Seem to think I was the only bidder.

It was a pair of 7" single sided French Vogue white label acetates, each of the acetates had 2 songs from his EP on one side, the other side was blank.

They arrived in the original waxy paper sleeve held together by the obligatory rusty staple. Nice.

post-1224-0-30750400-1306682669_thumb.jp

derek x

Social source share

And last one from me -

The Turn-A-Rounds super top double sider on French Liberty complete with picture sleeve.

Got released on Minit in the states, and for those that don't know it, one side's a crunching northern dancer that needs more plays and the other's a great beat ballad type thing.

post-1224-0-48583900-1306683935_thumb.jp

post-1224-0-04921000-1306683977_thumb.jp

post-1224-0-24671100-1306683997_thumb.jp

derek x

time to walk mi dog on t' moors whilst the sun is still shining.....

Social source share

Yes me too, a subject close to my heart. I have had most of the big foreign releases at one time or other over the years but this thread has still thrown up 1 or 2 i didn't know existed.thumbsup.gif

I think over the last 10 years we've really started to scratch the surface of what came out and where, Kel...who would have thought there were so many Argentinian, Mexican, Lebanese and Japanese (!) etc releases!?!

The internet has indeed been a wonderful tool for collectors of the wierd and wonderful...not to mention international travelling and ex-pats digging deep!

Enjoying this thread...here's a pic of another JP rarity...and a qualifier for best spelling!!?!!

:lol:

post-9555-0-91651700-1306852674_thumb.jp

Edited by Anoraks Corner
Social source share

Yes some amazing releases, trouble is the prices have shot up as well. I used to go to European record fairs regularly about 20 years ago and pick up some really top titles for next to nothing, i went to a fair in Utrecht about 3 years ago and the prices were unbelievable sad.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!