Obscure - unusual Foreign Releases

Tubbs

• Replies 940
  • Views 134.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Many 60's Coral releases state the kind of dance you're supposed to dance to the record underneath the title,e.g. Higher and Higher is a "go go shake".

Decca did the same. From what I remember Brenda Lee's "Time and Time again" is a "shake" and Sam & Bill's "I'll try" was the "slope" or something like that.

Never noticed that I'll go and have a look........   :D

Social source share

Nice Chris.

Whats strikes me is that how many non English speaking countries printed the covers in English?

Most Japanese LP front-covers duplicated the US equivalent, hence the addition of the "obi" paper wrap-around strip which featured Japanese translations. These strips, along with song/info sheet inserts, quality laminated sleeves and PVC covers, also helped the product have a perceived high-value...as after all they weren't cheap compared to average salaries/cost of living during the 60's. Alas, the translations on the covers of Japanese 7"/EP often featured mistakes and spelling errors...whereas the actual label details were 99% spot-on. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Many 60's Coral releases state the kind of dance you're supposed to dance to the record underneath the title,e.g. Higher and Higher is a "go go shake".

Decca did the same. From what I remember Brenda Lee's "Time and Time again" is a "shake" and Sam & Bill's "I'll try" was the "slope" or something like that.

A lot of French period releases also stated the recommended dance style...the Jerk and Madison appear on a lot of Northern tracks! :D

Social source share

A lot of French period releases also stated the recommended dance style...the Jerk and Madison appear on a lot of Northern tracks! :D

Tried the Madison, Its impossible!!! here's some cool instruction! remember reading that the Chicago release of this song, by a group I cant recollect actually outsold the national release by Ray Bryant, probably got that from Robert Pruter's 'Chicago Soul'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MiMrtI3aQ4

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

On the Jackie Wilson front, picked this up recently, nice lamenated French picture sleeve from September '68 

attachicon.gif001.JPGattachicon.gif002.JPG

And this Stax 1st press french picture sleeve, before the Atlantic release

attachicon.gif003.JPG

And finally picked up 24 french picture sleeves this morning for a massive €5,51 which included the Hesitations EP - You Can't By Pass Love - Kapp

attachicon.gif007.JPG

Love the French, Dutch & Belgian pic sleeve issues, yummy-yummy yum yum...............

Social source share

At the risk of being Bernt at the Steak................

attachicon.gifwigans-ovation-northern-soul-dancer-blue-jean.jpgattachicon.gifGerman.JPG

Dutch                                                                                                           German

You missed the great looking picture sleeve. What a cool looking bunch...

post-1670-0-49661800-1401879384_thumb.jp

Social source share

At last, only ten years looking for a copy, Ive only ever seen one other, as a scan Dave Flynn's web site, owned by Frank in Melbourne who did a piece on Aussie Soul 45's...

Recently John Manship was saying the Sandy Wynns 45 he had on his Auction was rare, I must have seen ten or so of that one over the last decade, Its not that rare... but this one IS seriously rare... would have been great if they had put out 'I've Settled Down' but alas they didn't..

Cant stop staring at it!!! :rolleyes:

Malcolm

post-2025-0-36547400-1402305464_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121352327738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

At last, only ten years looking for a copy, Ive only ever seen one other, as a scan Dave Flynn's web site, owned by Frank in Melbourne who did a piece on Aussie Soul 45's...

Recently John Manship was saying the Sandy Wynns 45 he had on his Auction was rare, I must have seen ten or so of that one over the last decade, Its not that rare... but this one IS seriously rare... would have been great if they had put out 'I've Settled Down' but alas they didn't..

Cant stop staring at it!!! :rolleyes:

Malcolm

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121352327738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest son of stan

Got a copy of Linda Lyndell 'Bring Your Love Back to Me' on Atco from the Philippines somewhere..

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Joe Hinton New Zealand. Jackie Ross Portugal.Impressions Sweden.Corals Australia & N.Zealand. Atlantics Australia

Love the Astors and Barbara Acklin Aussie 45's, dont have those ones.. But have allot of their other releases, I fish em out..

Social source share

Here's a few more we haven't had:

Impressions - We must be in love - Jamaican (I think)

post-5094-0-12527600-1407098774_thumb.jp

Same as above but from Italy

post-5094-0-34253600-1407098802_thumb.jp

The sleeve for the Italian copy

post-5094-0-24224100-1407098964_thumb.jp

Chairmen of The Board - Pay to the piper - Argentina promo

post-5094-0-60174900-1407099120_thumb.jp

Flip side - Bless you

post-5094-0-56883500-1407099178_thumb.jp

Gladys Knight & The Pips - You've lost that lovin' feelin' - Holland

post-5094-0-83105000-1407099277_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's a few more we haven't had:

Impressions - We must be in love - Jamaican (I think)

attachicon.gifImpressions We must be in love Jamaica.jpg

Same as above but from Italy

attachicon.gifImpressions We must be in love Italy.jpg

The sleeve for the Italian copy

attachicon.gifImpressions Inner City Blues Italy sleeve.jpg

Chairmen of The Board - Pay to the piper - Argentina promo

attachicon.gifChairmen of the Board Pay to the piper Argentina WLP.jpg

Flip side - Bless you

attachicon.gifChairmen of the Board Bless you Argentina WLP.jpg

Gladys Knight & The Pips - You've lost that lovin' feelin' - Holland

attachicon.gifGladys Knight & Pips You've lost that lovin' feelin' Holland.jpg

That Impressions EP cover is real nice particularly because there doesn't appear to be a wealth of photographs of Leroy Hutson during his relatively short tenure with the group. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!