Who Bought Kenny Burrell's Frank Wilson ?

Guest allnightandy

Guest allnightandy

A few years have passed since it sold for something like £25,742 a few days after it sold Ginger Taylor at Blackpool Tower Played it (twice) and claimed it was he that bought it !

Does anyone know if that's true ?

Or are there other rumour's regarding the purchaser that will ensure that it becomes enshrined in northern soul folk law !

As a classic what would you give it ?

Marks out of Ten I'd say 6

Edited by allnightandy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

A few years have passed since it sold for something like £47,000 a few days after it sold Ginger Taylor at Blackpool Tower Played it (twice) and claimed it was he that bought it !

Or are there other rumour's regarding the purchaser that will ensure that it becomes enshrined in northern soul folk law !

Half that amount......

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Half that amount......

your right £25,742 don't know where that came from

Cheers andy

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

A few years have passed since it sold for something like £25,742 a few days after it sold Ginger Taylor at Blackpool Tower Played it (twice) and claimed it was he that bought it !

Can remember asking John Manship not long after it sold at Whitby and he wouldn,t even say where it had gone to. The buyer wanted to remain anonymous,i would too its not that good.
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Right time and place an absolute classic, but these days? Would it even find its way into an oldies set now, never mind a set of current styles? Just a very unfashionable record, but fashions change...

Social source share

Right time and place an absolute classic, but these days? Would it even find its way into an oldies set now, never mind a set of current styles? Just a very unfashionable record, but fashions change...

on an OVO night its highly unlikely to find its way into an oldies set.

2 copies and it seems that the majority of people (me included) don't know who has one of them................

Social source share

heard somewhere that jools holland had bought it,

i guess we'll never know who's got it unless it comes up for sale again some day with the owners name,

joe.

thats another name to add to the list of potential owners i've not heard that one before.

Mark Lamar gets mentioned as well at times.

Social source share

i cant believe you all want to bring this one up again...........are you all bored or something?....or waiting for lifeline tonight??

IF you want, i'll put you ALL straight about this......the price IS correct,....NO, to this day no-one knows WHO the owner of THAT copy is....

THE OTHER ONE belongs to tim brown, and, bearing in mind and we're talking about oneupmanship here, TIM is the ONLY person who has a genuine right to play it,....EVERYBODY ELSE plays u.k. motown issues or.....dare i say it, bootlegs.

AND, just to nail this once and for all, ken & rona are close personal friends and, as we've been to visit on many occasions, ive SEEN the evidence of the sale with my own eyes.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i cant believe you all want to bring this one up again...........are you all bored or something?....or waiting for lifeline tonight??

IF you want, i'll put you ALL straight about this......the price IS correct,....NO, to this day no-one knows WHO the owner of THAT copy is....

THE OTHER ONE belongs to tim brown, and, bearing in mind and we're talking about oneupmanship here, TIM is the ONLY person who has a genuine right to play it,....EVERYBODY ELSE plays u.k. motown issues or.....dare i say it, bootlegs.

AND, just to nail this once and for all, ken & rona are close personal friends and, as we've been to visit on many occasions, ive SEEN the evidence of the sale with my own eyes.

Oooohhhh the anger in your post. Close your eyes,...... relax........ think of nothing but darkness and put all thoughts out of your mind.

Now everyone get a life. Does it really matter who bought it?

:tumbleweed3:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If that's true there's only a couple of lads who it could be...........unfortunately I'm not one of them :(

Cheers

Martyn

That's cos you wasted yer money on that RL Burnshite :lol: :lol:

I seem to recall that JM did say that the FW is indeed residing in Hull. :yes:

Edited by soulfulmick
Social source share

Oooohhhh the anger in your post. Close your eyes,...... relax........ think of nothing but darkness and put all thoughts out of your mind.

Now everyone get a life. Does it really matter who bought it?

:tumbleweed3:

you're absolutely right, it dosnt matter where its disappeared to, but it attracts a lot of sneering conjecture, there are a lot of people who genuinely dont like the record and the repetitive talk of its celubrious history. why should it be hard to swallow that it sold for such a sum of money?, somebody had the financial clout to obtain it and i wouldnt doubt for one minute, john's ability to sell the product...lets face facts here,... even john's eyes must widen at the prices some of the records he's auctioning, are realising and just from a personal point of view ive listened to countless soundfiles of what i would consider utter dross and others AND they are few and far between, that are out & out winners ( most recently, judy hughes & vivian jones )
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

2 copies and it seems that the majority of people (me included) don't know who has one of them................

Was that what I wrote... :lol:

Oh no I didn't, what are you on about? :rofl:

Social source share

Was that what I wrote... :lol:

Oh no I didn't, what are you on about? :rofl:

just responding to this part of your comment "would it find its way into an oldies set now"

what I mean is if everybody played by the rules its very unlikely you'd hear it in an oldies spot as only 2 people can play it.

but in reality up and down the coutry loads of people will be playing it in oldies spots off other formats.

Social source share

HOW COME COLIN HAS MANAGED TO SNEAK IN HERE AS WELL? :g:

that was a joke. Didn't the smiley face give the game away.

because of a 5 page thread running about colin playing CDs being one of the most actoive threads on here the last few days.

Edited by dylan
Social source share

Steve

Come along then pray tell................

Cheers

Martyn

It was a mad one really....

We were on our works christmas night out on Prinny Ave and after it me and one of my mates from work needed a taxi back to our posh western suburbs.After freezing the dangly bits off for about an hour (or so it seemed), a taxi comes along and we jumped in one side and another coupla kids jump in the other. Mexican stand off time. Anyway, we were not backing down, and neither obviously were they so we compromised on a share and hoped for the best.

The taxi driver had a northern soul cd on, like they do... So we got yarning about this and that and suddenly one of the lads, who was maybe 20ish?? pipes up with "do you know that northern soul record by Frank Wilson"?...... And clever shit me replies with some patronising remark or other (no, I know, not at all like me.... :ohmy: ) . And then he says "you know its the most expensive record in the world and........ (now here's the punchline)...... My Dad owns it!!!"

So of course I call him a silly sod etc, like you would, and we end up having a slightly heated debate..... because obviously i know best because I am so clever and that, and obviously his dad has a uk copy or a pressing or sumat da-de-da-de-da..... DOH!!!

Egg. Face. Me. Possibly.

I'm not gonna spill the name. If he wants to remain anonymous that's fine with me. And of course, the kid in the taxi might have been spinning a yarn. But if he was it was a cracking one to spin....

(And I think it was his dad. I was major-league kajagoogooed - it might have been his uncle...)

Social source share

It was a mad one really....

We were on our works christmas night out on Prinny Ave and after it me and one of my mates from work needed a taxi back to our posh western suburbs.After freezing the dangly bits off for about an hour (or so it seemed), a taxi comes along and we jumped in one side and another coupla kids jump in the other. Mexican stand off time. Anyway, we were not backing down, and neither obviously were they so we compromised on a share and hoped for the best.

The taxi driver had a northern soul cd on, like they do... So we got yarning about this and that and suddenly one of the lads, who was maybe 20ish?? pipes up with "do you know that northern soul record by Frank Wilson"?...... And clever shit me replies with some patronising remark or other (no, I know, not at all like me.... :ohmy: ) . And then he says "you know its the most expensive record in the world and........ (now here's the punchline)...... My Dad owns it!!!"

So of course I call him a silly sod etc, like you would, and we end up having a slightly heated debate..... because obviously i know best because I am so clever and that, and obviously his dad has a uk copy or a pressing or sumat da-de-da-de-da..... DOH!!!

Egg. Face. Me. Possibly.

I'm not gonna spill the name. If he wants to remain anonymous that's fine with me. And of course, the kid in the taxi might have been spinning a yarn. But if he was it was a cracking one to spin....

(And I think it was his dad. I was major-league kajagoogooed - it might have been his uncle...)

who's spinning a yarn? :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Tim Brown has the other
Social source share

who's spinning a yarn? :lol:

Honest, that story is totally true. Well, within the bounds of my inebriated recollection anyway.....

And then we had a dust up about who was gonna pay for the taxi which ended with me and the taxi driver getting all macho and the young lad giving us some grief and chucking some money at us....

You couldnt make it up

word

Social source share

First time I heard it it was ''GOT TO GET A COPY'', blew me away.

These days.....the cd sits its on sits in its box, not played for at least 2 years but originally it nearly wore the CDplayer out, but we move on.

The way I look at it, you WANT something BADLY enough you pay over the odds for it, and I'll bet EVERYONE on here has been there.

The price paid is not an issue, ITS LIKE STAMP COLLECTING, people pay shed loadsa dosh for aq bit of paper with a picture on one side and glue on the other, they stick in an album and then have orgasms over it, and yes, I have been known to have orgasms over bits of vinyl in my collection :yes: .

The bottom line is that WHO EVER bought the record PAID what it was worth to them !!!.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

First time I heard it it was ''GOT TO GET A COPY'', blew me away.

These days.....the cd sits its on sits in its box, not played for at least 2 years but originally it nearly wore the CDplayer out, but we move on.

The way I look at it, you WANT something BADLY enough you pay over the odds for it, and I'll bet EVERYONE on here has been there.

and yes, I have been known to have orgasms over bits of vinyl in my collection :yes: .

The bottom line is that WHO EVER bought the record PAID what it was worth to them !!!.

Remind me never to buy any off you !

LoL :D

Edited by allnightandy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve Davis

Definitely , heard this from a good Scottish gentlemen friend of mine ( you know who you are ) who is not really bothered who bought it anyway .

So methinks they must be some truth in this , especially that its also being mentioned on ere.

Martyn

Social source share

In fifty years when most are gone to the great record box in the sky, I hope it sits in a Northern Soul Museum somehwere, it deserves it's place in Music history (despite all the naysaying groans I can now hear!). If it wasn't for a thievin Simon Soussan it might never have got played until Martin Koppel was offered the second copy and even then it may have ignored.

There are few records that have polarised opinion as much as this one on the NS scene, but, I still love the record.

Whoever owns KB's copy now, I don't care, just glad someone does.

On a closing note, I hate the Sex Pistols "god save the queen" but the A&M uk release is rare as hell and deserves a place in music history ( like so many rare records by other artists), so that being the case so,does Frank Wilson.

Social source share

It's Elvis Presley.He owns it. He lives in Hull and he owns the Frank Wilson that Kenny sold. He plays it when he DJs at house parties he throws for Marilyn, Michael Jackson, JFK etc etc. Of course, the parties are OVO, so Colin Curtis isn't invited.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

In fifty years when most are gone to the great record box in the sky, I hope it sits in a Northern Soul Museum somehwere, it deserves it's place in Music history (despite all the naysaying groans I can now hear!). If it wasn't for a thievin Simon Soussan it might never have got played until Martin Koppel was offered the second copy and even then it may have ignored.

There are few records that have polarised opinion as much as this one on the NS scene, but, I still love the record.

Whoever owns KB's copy now, I don't care, just glad someone does.

On a closing note, I hate the Sex Pistols "god save the queen" but the A&M uk release is rare as hell and deserves a place in music history ( like so many rare records by other artists), so that being the case so,does Frank Wilson.

there are 3sex pistols versions ( acetates etc ) in this months record collector top ten prices on ebay and all over £10,000,

most of the rest are beatles lp's

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

there are 3sex pistols versions ( acetates etc ) in this months record collector top ten prices on ebay and all over £10,000,

most of the rest are beatles lp's

This version £12.675

https://www.popsike.c.../4838165513.jpg

this one £12600

https://www.popsike.c...80655369299.jpg

This £10766

4855065783.jpg

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source