Who Bought Kenny Burrell's Frank Wilson ?

Guest allnightandy

Sold my 'God Save The Queen' on A&M for £250 in a darker period of my life..... oh well!

And on another bright note, I live in Hull, but it wasn't me who bought KB's Frank Wilson either!

Social source share

'AGENTSMITH'

OH, AND KEN ALSO HAS ONE, IF NOT THE ONLY GENUINE STUDIO ACETATE CUT BY FRANK,...SO, TECHNICALLY HE HAS A RIGHT TO PLAY THE RECORD AS WELL.......BUT HE'S RETIRED, A HAPPY MAN :thumbsup:

I know someone with more then 1 studio acetate of FW all different cuts by FW.

i have heard several times it's in Hull now so counts out Martyn Bird for starters lol

On a different note i had in my hands and it got played last night a one off studio acetate of Vickie Baines, was in very good condition and played perfect too... very nice !!

Ian.

Social source share

'AGENTSMITH'

OH, AND KEN ALSO HAS ONE, IF NOT THE ONLY GENUINE STUDIO ACETATE CUT BY FRANK,...SO, TECHNICALLY HE HAS A RIGHT TO PLAY THE RECORD AS WELL.......BUT HE'S RETIRED, A HAPPY MAN :thumbsup:

I know someone with more then 1 studio acetate of FW all different cuts by FW.

i have heard several times it's in Hull now so counts out Martyn Bird for starters lol

On a different note i had in my hands and it got played last night a one off studio acetate of Vickie Baines, was in very good condition and played perfect too... very nice !!

Ian.

Yes but the acetates were cut for the UK release weren't they?

Can I ask you stick to the topic please, it's getting like too many other topics and going off all over the place.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

thats another name to add to the list of potential owners i've not heard that one before.

Mark Lamar gets mentioned as well at times.

Wouldn't have thought Mark would have brought it, anybody that know's him know's he has a strong dislike for "Northern Soul"

I thought the name "Honky" was always banded about when this record is mentioned.

Social source share

Steve Davis

Definitely , heard this from a good Scottish gentlemen friend of mine ( you know who you are ) who is not really bothered who bought it anyway .

So methinks they must be some truth in this , especially that its also being mentioned on ere.

Martyn

Also heard this from a very good dj friend (English) whom i would have no reason to doubt.Seen Kenny's copy quite a few times when i used to dj with him BUt not seen it since it was sold so i think it is defininaty in the hands of a collector and not a dj. Therefore it could be anybody on the planet (except me).

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

A few years have passed since it sold for something like £25,742 a few days after it sold Ginger Taylor at Blackpool Tower Played it (twice) and claimed it was he that bought it !

Does anyone know if that's true ?

Or are there other rumour's regarding the purchaser that will ensure that it becomes enshrined in northern soul folk law !

As a classic what would you give it ?

Marks out of Ten I'd say 6

I have it from a very reliable source here that it went to a new owner in Germany about a year ago. I firmly believe it to be true as the source is a man of integrity. He wouldn't want to be named though for obvious reasons and i wouldn't betray his trust.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Anybody got advice on how to remove a load of unwanted black felt tip pen writing from the label of a rare record?

That rules you out it was Blue felt tip !

soul35019dj.jpg

Social source share

I have it from a very reliable source here that it went to a new owner in Germany about a year ago. I firmly believe it to be true as the source is a man of integrity. He wouldn't want to be named though for obvious reasons and i wouldn't betray his trust.

Ok, I stand up. I bought it. But only on behalf of Tim Brown, had to promise I'll destroy it as soon as possible to make Tim's copy the only one in NS universe. No joke.

Social source share

was apost on fb by someone over the moon they had an emi copy of sex pistols 'anarchy in the uk' they got off ebay for £100+ and how it was worth shit loads and rare as f***...didnt have the heart to tell him he was probably thinkin of god save the queen and there were pages of 'anarchy' on popsike...some a lot cheaper than he paid

Social source share

That's what I heard too.....

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Ok, I stand up. I bought it. But only on behalf of Tim Brown, had to promise I'll destroy it as soon as possible to make Tim's copy the only one in NS universe. No joke.

Well that would be a really bad move as it's alleged Tim's copy is scratched and has a bad edge warp so surely it's better to keep Kenny's copy

Funny i've just realised something , It doesn't matter who owns it or where in the world it ends up , it will for ever be known as "Kenny's copy

Because it's got his bloody name on it ! Ha ha ha ha

Social source share

Guest dave nowell

That's what I've been told too...................

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Crikey its a rumour factory! Anyone watch celebrity juice? This reminds me of where they have to sit on the toilet and pass on a message that they cant actually hear due to them wearing headphones (if you've seen it you'll know what I mean) :huh:

Last thing i pass when i'm on the cludgey is messages
Social source share

Crikey its a rumour factory! Anyone watch celebrity juice? This reminds me of where they have to sit on the toilet and pass on a message that they cant actually hear due to them wearing headphones (if you've seen it you'll know what I mean) :huh:

yeah, that's what my erased post was saying. I wonder why the buyer would want it to remain anonymous. I understand some rich art collector or something not wanting it publicly known that they bought some super-expensive art piece. But the art is (supposedly) inherently beautiful and they can look at it, frame it, etc. The Frank Wilson record is just sort of average, its value comes from its rarity, history, and admiration by the soul scene. In that case, I would think that they would want people to know they have it as it's a trophy piece that has its value derived from other people being excited about it.

Social source share

That's what I've been told too...................

It's true Dave. I saw the disc before it was sent. Maybe i can get my ' source ' to come on here and confirm it although he won't want to big note himself. It was a lifelong ambition that just went by the by. No regrets i am told.

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

i cant believe you all want to bring this one up again...........are you all bored or something?....or waiting for lifeline tonight??

IF you want, i'll put you ALL straight about this......the price IS correct,....NO, to this day no-one knows WHO the owner of THAT copy is....

THE OTHER ONE belongs to tim brown, and, bearing in mind and we're talking about oneupmanship here, TIM is the ONLY person who has a genuine right to play it,....EVERYBODY ELSE plays u.k. motown issues or.....dare i say it, bootlegs.

AND, just to nail this once and for all, ken & rona are close personal friends and, as we've been to visit on many occasions, ive SEEN the evidence of the sale with my own eyes.

cant we be satisfied with the sale of a great soul record,

Edited by turntableterra
Social source share

• 6 years later...
18 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Hopefully it's being used as a toilet seat by a colony of midgets in Hessle then - just so long as it stays away from a record deck.
Dx

Ha Ha Ha, Now I have to go and make a fresh brew, cuz sipping my tea and reading that at the same time just brought most of it back out through my nose because of laughing.

Social source share

39 minutes ago, chalky said:

Feb this year

Just wondering if anyone knows why he let Frank Wilson scrawl all over the label like that? 

I know it's super rare and highly desirable (to some, I hasten to add before the floodgates open hehe) but if I had the kind of money to buy it I think having someone else's name on it would possibly put me off tbh.

I could be wrong here obviously..but is the fact it's actually signed by F.W. himself an added factor in the records overall value ?

Social source share

On 01/03/2012 at 04:50, boba said:

yeah, that's what my erased post was saying. I wonder why the buyer would want it to remain anonymous. I understand some rich art collector or something not wanting it publicly known that they bought some super-expensive art piece. But the art is (supposedly) inherently beautiful and they can look at it, frame it, etc. The Frank Wilson record is just sort of average, its value comes from its rarity, history, and admiration by the soul scene. In that case, I would think that they would want people to know they have it as it's a trophy piece that has its value derived from other people being excited about it.er

Er, just like the art world, them. 😵

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!