Harthon

Guest Paul

Three HARTHON singles are released on Monday via Outta Sight...

post-3850-0-27645800-1330283834_thumb.jp

OSV 047

JESSE JAMES - Love Is All Right (Version) / LARRY CLINTON - She's Wanted

OSV 048

THE UNITED FOUR - Honey Please Stay / Baby Don't Do It

OSV 049

BERNARD WILLIAMS & The Original Blue Notes - It's Needless To Say / Focused On You

Distribution: Passion / Essential.

Paul

Edited by Paul
Social source share

...and a HARTHON single issued via Record Shack (Austria)...

post-3850-0-78940500-1330284734_thumb.jp

RS.45-003

THE VOLCANOS - Gotta Be A False Alarm / Movin' And Groovin'

Available from the usual outlets and eBay dealers etc.

Paul

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

not going there and no disrespect to you just my view

well printing your "view" in a public forum when it is totally wrong can be deemed as libelous......bootleggers have been prosecuted recently and rightly so...

Edited by JIM BARRY
Social source share

still a boot in my eyes and fcuk the p.c.

You're way out of order so please delete your posts.

If you want to talk about bootlegs, and there are plenty of them out there on ebay, start your own topic about them. This topic is about legitimate products.

Paul

Social source share

Three HARTHON singles are released on Monday via Outta Sight...

post-3850-0-27645800-1330283834_thumb.jp

OSV 047

JESSE JAMES - Love Is All Right (Version) / LARRY CLINTON - She's Wanted

OSV 048

THE UNITED FOUR - Honey Please Stay / Baby Don't Do It

OSV 049

BERNARD WILLIAMS & The Original Blue Notes - It's Needless To Say / Focused On You

Distribution: Passion / Essential.

Paul

how much paul just asking billy
Social source share

still a boot in my eyes and fcuk the p.c.

Last request for you to delete your posts.

I'm not sure if your allegations are directed at Selrec, Millbrand, Outta Sight, Passion or Record Shack but they are offensive to all of those parties.

Paul

Social source share

Last request for you to delete your posts.

I'm not sure if your allegations are directed at Selrec, Millbrand, Outta Sight, Passion or Record Shack but they are offensive to all of those parties.

Paul

Ha Ha.Ho Ho, hope you got a good ,good memory..... Our Q.C who is rather brilliant,will pass on how i can post up my and many peoples concerns about some of your dealings with artists ,monies etc..

site note: post edited - comment removed by site as per terms of use

Social source share

You're way out of order so please delete your posts.

If you want to talk about bootlegs, and there are plenty of them out there on ebay, start your own topic about them. This topic is about legitimate products.

Paul

it was only my opinion will keep my views to my self sorry for the upset regards john

Social source share

it was only my opinion will keep my views to my self sorry for the upset regards john

John, you're entitled to your views but the facts are that these records are legitimate.

Thanks for deleting your post.

Paul

Social source share

how much paul just asking billy

Hello Billy,

I don't sell them myself but I think they will retail at £8.99 or £9.99 via the usual dealers and ebay sellers etc.

Paul

Social source share

are the 'real' harthon re-issues considered as boots...Preludes etc? sure these were legit too?

Hi Grant,

The US Harthon issues and reissues from the 1970s were legitimate, as far as I know, because they were done through Weldon McDougal and John Stiles in Philadelphia.

Paul

Social source share

Paul can I ask one question?

Legit or not I dont really care,but why are they being reissued?

Not taking the P@@s serious question.

There's obviously a market (however small) for reissue 45s, otherwise people wouldn't issue them.

These particular Harthon 45s via Outta Sight and Record Shack have been issued to promote the Harthon catalogue, there's a 28-track CD album due on March 5th which will be available from HMV, Amazon, etc.

They're aimed at a wider market, not just to hard-core northern soul fans who probably have most of the tracks already.

Paul

Social source share

Valid point-why is this happening,it`s not through demand-is it?

There is always some demand, not on the rare soul scene perhaps, but a wider demand.

And 'Honey Please Stay' by The United Four hasn't ever been issued before.

On my own Shotgun label I issue lesser-known things but I'll bet the classic titles sell a lot more copies.

Paul

Social source share

cheers Paul

Come to think of it, Grant, some of those US singles from 1974 were first issues, even though they were probably made specifically for export to the UK. I'm not certain but I think they were imported by Soul Bowl.

I'm talking about the instrumental versions of 'False Alarm' and 'Puttin' You On' (credited to The Body Motions) and 'Discotheque Groove' and the instrumental of 'Focused On You' credited to The Thrillers ...although I thought it was odd to call it 'Detroit City Soul' when it came from Philadelphia.

Paul

Social source share

Apologies if I am a bit out of touch with things, but I think I'm correct in saying that about 10 years ago, there were 2 versions of the Jesse James 'Love Is Alright' being played out - the one Butch had (brilliant :thumbup: ) and the one Kenny Burrell was playing (same backing - crap vocal :wink:). Which is this? Also, about 2000/2001, the Butch one came out on Soul City - was that legit or a boot? :g:

Social source share

Apologies if I am a bit out of touch with things, but I think I'm correct in saying that about 10 years ago, there were 2 versions of the Jesse James 'Love Is Alright' being played out - the one Butch had (brilliant :thumbup: ) and the one Kenny Burrell was playing (same backing - crap vocal :wink:). Which is this? Also, about 2000/2001, the Butch one came out on Soul City - was that legit or a boot? :g:

heard another version of teh jesse james think john parker played it at southport weekender last year, its ok but sounds like it was recorded in a baked beean can, very tinny and echoey if that makes sense, probably just a first take or summat in the studio, and not quite the finished item?

Social source share

Hello Mark,

I think the Outta Sight version is the same as previous issues (therefore the version played by Butch and others) but remastered. PM your email address to me and I'll send you an MP3 of it.

I've no idea if the Soul City single was legitimate, I never asked Weldon about that and John and Luther wouldn't know.

Paul

Social source share

Paul, I take my hat off to you for the work, effort and dedication you've put into these and all the other releases.

The value in making these tracks available to the public at large seems to have been forgotten, overlooked and/or disregarded by those who are blinkered by the narrow confines of the 'Northern Soul' genre. Soul collectors abound world-wide, and probably 95% of them have never attended an event in the UK. But then why should they?

Social source share

Paul, I take my hat off to you for the work, effort and dedication you've put into these and all the other releases.

The value in making these tracks available to the public at large seems to have been forgotten, overlooked and/or disregarded by those who are blinkered by the narrow confines of the 'Northern Soul' genre. Soul collectors abound world-wide, and probably 95% of them have never attended an event in the UK. But then why should they?

Hello Russell,

Thanks for these particular singles should go to Glenn Gunton at Outta Sight and Jorg at Record Shack, I just cleared the licenses and helped with some masters, info and images etc.

When the Outta Sight CD album comes out the sleeve will credit others who've helped in various ways: Dave Moore, Tim Brown, Andy Rix, Francis Tee, Jenny Cardinal, John Ridley, Tony Cummings etc.

Bobby Eli and Earl Young also helped with some details, not to forget John Stiles, Luther Randolph and Weldon McDougal of course because my original deal was with Weldon and he gave me a lot of info over the years.

The Harthon sound has always been cherished on the northern soul scene but it's also the roots of the Sound of Philadelphia so the history should also be of interest to a wider audience.

Paul

post-3850-0-45665400-1330301352_thumb.jp

OSCD 031

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Excellent stuff as usual!!! The United Four "Honey Please Stay" track - Is this the one that utilises the "Where I'm Not Wanted" backing that was doing the rounds a few years ago, as I'm pretty sure that was the "Barons Of Soul" (who went on to become "Free Spirit") and not the United Four.

Des Parker

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Excellent stuff as usual!!! The United Four "Honey Please Stay" track - Is this the one that utilises the "Where I'm Not Wanted" backing that was doing the rounds a few years ago, as I'm pretty sure that was the "Barons Of Soul" (who went on to become "Free Spirit") and not the United Four.

Des Parker

Hello Des,

Yes it has the same backing track.

Nobody was sure who the artist was, it was thought to be The United Four or The Volcanos (apparently their name was on the tape box) but when I heard it I didn't think the vocalist sounded like either of them. So it may well be the Barons of Soul.

At least the album will give due credit (at last) to Shirley Turner for 'I Wish You The World Of Happiness'.

Paul

Social source share

I didn't know that had finally been accredited, how did they find that out Paul?

Hello Pete,

Shirley's son Hollis Monroe came across 'World Of Happiness' on the internet and he recognised it as his mother, he'd been familiar with it since childhood.

I contacted by email him last year and he got his mother to confirm it was her version. I'm sure Andy Rix had also been in touch with Hollis or Shirley.

There are two other versions of the song, one is credited to Peggy Byers and the other is a demo (without strings) by an unknown artist.

Andy Rix will be able to tell you more than I can.

Paul

P.S. I've yet to hear the other versions and I wonder if Peggy Byers will turn out to have any connection with Ann Byers?

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Her son I think it was heard the track on youtube and got in touch with someone. It was all on here when it happened.

Hello Chalky

I'd missed the soulsource thread too, I think it was a youtube comment that I stumbled on and it linked to a website for Hollis.

Paul

Social source share

Hello Mark,

I think the Outta Sight version is the same as previous issues (therefore the version played by Butch and others) but remastered. PM your email address to me and I'll send you an MP3 of it.

I've no idea if the Soul City single was legitimate, I never asked Weldon about that and John and Luther wouldn't know.

Paul

I was involved with Soul City at the time. And myself and Chris King licenses it from Weldon.

Phil

Social source share

I was involved with Soul City at the time. And myself and Chris King licenses it from Weldon.

Phil

Thanks Phil,

I didn't know if you were still involved with Soul City then and I had no reason to ask Weldon about it.

Paul

Social source share

Hello Pete,

Shirley's son Hollis Monroe came across 'World Of Happiness' on the internet and he recognised it as his mother, he'd been familiar with it since childhood.

I contacted by email him last year and he got his mother to confirm it was her version. I'm sure Andy Rix had also been in touch with Hollis or Shirley.

There are two other versions of the song, one is credited to Peggy Byers and the other is a demo (without strings) by an unknown artist.

Andy Rix will be able to tell you more than I can.

Paul

P.S. I've yet to hear the other versions and I wonder if Peggy Byers will turn out to have any connection with Ann Byers?

The one without strings is the one that Butch plays. Peggy Byers not as good as the other two.

Social source share

Pretty sure Weldon would be well chuffed with the latest 'package' of the Harthon music. Luther, John and Weldon's contribution to soul music cannot be overstated. In the upcoming book about Philadelphia's role in black music (Out this Sept under the Hitsville/There's that Beat banner), their story will be included, (updated) in full glossy color- just how it should be.

As Weldon would say.......BOOYAAH! :thumbup:

Regards,

Dave

PS - PAUL, Just realised that the cover says 'remastered cuts'. Which tracks have been remastered and who did them?

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

Pretty sure Weldon would be well chuffed with the latest 'package' of the Harthon music. Luther, John and Weldon's contribution to soul music cannot be overstated. In the upcoming book about Philadelphia's role in black music (Out this Sept under the Hitsville/There's that Beat banner), their story will be included, (updated) in full glossy color- just how it should be.

Regards,

Dave

PS - PAUL, Just realised that the cover says 'remastered cuts'. Which tracks have been remastered and who did them?

Can we have a kindle version of this books?

Social source share

It's something that is being investigated Mate. I'm not too up the E-Book technology but the publisher is, so hopefully the answer will be yes.

Regards,

Dave

Cheers Dave. I'm trying to get all my books on a digital version but so many don't yet go down this avenue. I know some who won't buy books now unless it is digital so some publishers missing out on sales. Thanks for that and look forward to it either way. Big part of the scene Philly Soul.

Social source share

Can we have a kindle version of this books?

Being lazy (or impatient) I buy a lot of kindle books but I have the old version of kindle so it's all in greyscale, no good for any books with nice images etc. I suppose the new kindle will be okay.

Paul

Social source share

Being lazy (or impatient) I buy a lot of kindle books but I have the old version of kindle so it's all in greyscale, no good for any books with nice images etc. I suppose the new kindle will be okay.

Paul

I have the iPad with Kindle app so ideal for nice pictures.

Back on topic Paul, what are the mechanics of such a deal like this Harthon deal? Licensing, royalties etc, who gets what? I did hear one party bought the Harthon masters?

Social source share

Regards,

Dave

I'm looking forward to the book, Dave, and if I have any info or images I'll be more than happy to share them.

The remastering was done by Outta Sight's people, someone called Paul I think, but I did some pre-mastering on about 12 tracks and the other Paul probably compressed them to match the output of all the other tracks.

Some of the Harthon things will never technically sound great, sonically, but they have the "feel" and they probaby haven't sounded as good before.

Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!