Soul Communicators - Those Lonely Nights - Any Info Please?

eddiep

Hi everyone,

If any of you knowledgable people out there can supply any info on this tune i'd be most grateful,

Year issued, Group line-up, Label location / info etc.

and where it was originally spun on the scene would be good too.

Or anything in general really.

Thanks in advance guys :thumbsup:

ATB

Eddie

Social source share

I'm sure someone here can provide a lot more info, but this is Chuck Corby, a white guy from Pittsburgh - it was his group that recorded other 45s as well, some of which are a rock/soul sound. I think it's from '67 or '68. The label is from Pittsburgh as well, it started in the 1950s and knowing Pittsburgh, I wouldn't be surprised if it was still active!

Edited by George G
Social source share

Thanks George.

So if the FeeBee label is out of Pittsbugh what would be the connection (if any) with the flip side being used by The Commands on the Dynamics label out of Texas?

Is there any connection with these two groups / labels ??

ATB

Eddie

Social source share

Chuck has a fantastic voice, but some of his projects are......well you make your own minds up - Google Chuck Corby Saloonatics Preview into "You tube" You've been warned

Des Parker

Oh dear.. :facepalm:

A merry medley of

Music

Mobsters and

Mayhem !

Is this for real ?!

Social source share

Hi everyone,

If any of you knowledgable people out there can supply any info on this tune i'd be most grateful,

Year issued, Group line-up, Label location / info etc.

and where it was originally spun on the scene would be good too.

Or anything in general really.

Thanks in advance guys :thumbsup:

ATB

Eddie

hi , me and a friend met chuck corby in a record shop around pittsburgh back in '89...he'd just walked in for a chat with the owner...he was a bit bemused by our disbelieving faces when he was introduced to us !!!!...chuck corby...a white guy!....with that voice!!!????...nahhhh! LOL

i have a m- soul communicators if you wanna make an offer?

cheers

franc

Social source share

hi , me and a friend met chuck corby in a record shop around pittsburgh back in '89...he'd just walked in for a chat with the owner...he was a bit bemused by our disbelieving faces when he was introduced to us !!!!...chuck corby...a white guy!....with that voice!!!????...nahhhh! LOL

i have a m- soul communicators if you wanna make an offer?

cheers

franc

Thanks for the offer franc. I got one mate :thumbsup:

Just need the info for now.

Anymore info anyone ???

Edited by eddiep
Social source share

Cheers franc :thumbsup:

Seems quite a sad story of another talented artist ripped off again.

Still trying though so you gotta admire him for that.

Right.....

any more info on a defo release year and my querie regarding the The Commands / Dynamic label connection (if any) and anything else please.

Cheers :thumbsup:

ATB

Eddie

Edited by eddiep
Social source share

Was chatting with Dave Raistrick on sat at lifeline ( & bldy great it was too ) about how & when we found this. Would be 78/79 & probably got 6 test press & a dozen or so issues from one of the Pittsburgh guys. I played it at the Fleet niter a week or so later & remember Sam running up to ask what it was, happy days! :D cleared the floor tho :(

Social source share

I was once accused of Stealing Soul Communicators from some Birmingham based collectors, dare I say ex friends, it turned up in an LP cover in their house 2 years later.. such is the power of accusation.. never been into it since then, shame cause its good tune..

Mal.C :glare:

Social source share

Are you sure about the Commands on Dynamic ? Their five listed releases don't include 'Please Don't Go'.

:facepalm::rolleyes:

What a pillock!

No........ i'm not sure about the Commands on Dynamic at all!

I actually meant ...... The Rhythm Rascals - Why Did You Have To Go (Sonic or Roulette)

For some reason I was thinking of The Commands.

Time to take a break me thinks! :yes:

Edited by eddiep
Social source share

:facepalm::rolleyes:

What a pillock!

No........ i'm not sure about the Commands on Dynamic at all!

I actually meant ...... The Rhythm Rascals - Why Did You Have To Go (Sonic or Roulette)

For some reason I was thinking of The Commands.

Time to take a break me thinks! :yes:

Eddie, the Rhythm Rascals and Soul Communicators shared group members, though the lead with RRs was Jerry Hilton who also recorded the Chuck Corby song 'Complete Opposites' for Sonic. Hope this helps.

Social source share

Eddie, the Rhythm Rascals and Soul Communicators shared group members, though the lead with RRs was Jerry Hilton who also recorded the Chuck Corby song 'Complete Opposites' for Sonic. Hope this helps.

Thank you. That is something I didn't know.

Explains a few things now.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Social source share

Fee Bee is a Pittsburgh label, not a Texas label. The Del Vikings recorded on Fee Bee.

Other than Chuck Corby / Ciorra, I don't think there are common members between the Soul Communicaters [that's how it's spelled on the record] and the Chances or any other Corby groups.

Social source share

when myself and frank meet chuck in pittsburg he told me that he got his name corby from a bourbon or whiskey he was fond off drinking.

steadysoul

nice one steady !!.........always remembering the "fine details" like getting us from new york to philly without a map and relying just on landmarks!!! :hypo::sweatingbullets:

was it at dj records or dave ramer's in mc keesport ?????.....i can't remember....

https://www.barnonedr...hisky-2468.html

chuck the old lush !!!!! LOL....wonder what it's like ..hmmmm???

cheers

franc

Edited by cobbles
Social source share

Myself, Johnny Beggs and Justin Hopper (writer of the linked article and "Juddy" on S.S.) spent a day with Chuck and John Russo (original co writer of "Night Of The Living Dead") at the home of local "entrepreneur and businessman" Joe Tabasco - very surreal, bizarre and strangely enjoyable!!

Des

Social source share

Didn't know about the Rhythm Rascals connection, very interesting. Hey Cobbles, me and my mates were very likely in the same Pittsburg record shop we happened across around 1990 (can't remember the name of it, but do have a photo somewhere) !!! The shop owner and his family were very accomodating, I remember him and his family making us tea and sandwiches (after we'd spent about 4 hours in there!), and pushing on us some Chuck Corby repress (wasn't northern) which the shop owner claimed he had something to do with the re-release. We were sort of obliged to buy bulk copies even though we thought it was pants!!

Do like 'City of Strangers' whilst we are on the Sonic thing.

Mark

Social source share

Hiya Frank

I was introduced to Chuck in McKeesport around the same time.

He came bounding up to me and said i,m not what you expected am i?

I thought to myself no not really white not black (unaware at the time)

He then said.

Yeah people often think i,m taller than i actually am. :yes:

Trev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

we meet him frank the night we went with dave raymer to see his one leg dj mate playing doo wop at the bar.

nahh, it was in a shop that much i do remember !!!!... i remember that pissed up crazy woman at the the doowop nite in the bar and us with dave and his wife (wilma / thelma ??) sitting at the table n hearing robins/ coasters "smokey joe's cafe" atco!!!...

....or maybe it was all a dream !!!! :sleep3: Lol ....like bobby ewing !!!! :g:

i'm going for lie down too many senior moments lately!!!!

franc

Social source share

nahh, it was in a shop that much i do remember !!!!... i remember that pissed up crazy woman at the the doowop nite in the bar and us with dave and his wife (wilma / thelma ??) sitting at the table n hearing robins/ coasters "smokey joe's cafe" atco!!!...

....or maybe it was all a dream !!!! :sleep3: Lol ....like bobby ewing !!!! :g:

i'm going for lie down too many senior moments lately!!!!

franc

Franc....was'nt it Dave Ramer who laid claim to owning the pressing plates for the Soul Communicators.

Social source share

Franc....was'nt it Dave Ramer who laid claim to owning the pressing plates for the Soul Communicators.

mr brown, no point asking me i've got the memory of a goldfish !!! :lol: ...time for a morning nap :sleep3:

i'll dream of gettin me bus pass!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!