Find My Way - Unreleased/unknown Version (Now Identified)

Cameo is also on Choc City Russell not Casablanca. Also got a release in Holland (or Belgium, can't lay my hands on it at the moment) with a pic sleeve, Joker Records (I think !)

Thanks, Paul. Think the UK release was on the parent, Casablanca.

Anyway, the reason for asking is that I have a version of the song on acetate from c. 1970, which I haven't been able to identify as yet. Good version it is too with a strong male lead.

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

I've been asking around and so far no one has been able to identify the artist. Perhaps it might have been more sensible to put up a sample first, but here it is now.

The acetate it comes from provides no details of the singer/group.

https://soundcloud.com/harveysoulfinger/find-my-way-unknown-unreleased

All help in identifying the singer appreciated...

Social source share

The spoken into reminds me of a record I have or know, could be on Trax its bugging me, think its a group record I have.

Got it but don't know the name of the singer or group.

I can find the song and give you some lyrics to id it.

Its on a Diggers gold mp3 that starts off with Loves Gone Bad.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

I've been asking around and so far no one has been able to identify the artist. Perhaps it might have been more sensible to put up a sample first, but here it is now.

The acetate it comes from provides no details of the singer/group.

https://soundcloud.com/harveysoulfinger/find-my-way-unknown-unreleased

Sounds like Johnny Mathis or OC smith - Im sure I heard an lp with a crooner singing it!

All help in identifying the singer appreciated...

Social source share

Thanks for the suggestions.

Someone also suggested to me that it might be Lou Rawls, I expect because of the spoken intro more than anything else. But, as with OC Smith, it would need to be sung about an octave lower to be convincing - and the voice is just not rich enough for it to be either. That aside, it doesn't sound like Rawls or Smith. Vocals are nowhere near trademark warbly enough to be Johnny Mathis, surely?

Paul Anka - would be interesting to hear a clip of his version, even though it's not him.

The spoken into reminds me of a record I have or know, could be on Trax its bugging me, think its a group record I have.

Got it but don't know the name of the singer or group.

I can find the song and give you some lyrics to id it.

Its on a Diggers gold mp3 that starts off with Loves Gone Bad.

This compilation?

No mention of it on that. Somewhere else, perhaps?

Social source share

Cameo is also on Choc City Russell not Casablanca. Also got a release in Holland (or Belgium, can't lay my hands on it at the moment) with a pic sleeve, Joker Records (I think !) Remember reading that The Players had to change their name to Cameo under pressure from The Ohio Players Cheers Paul

Dutch release is on Papillon.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No way is that Lou Rawls.

Johnny Melfi was a record producer and songwriter (many songwriters are just songwriters). it could be a demo he cut on some other artist that was never released?

Assuming this is him, he also played bit parts in movies in the early 60s (not relevant, just random):

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2719815/

I think you're probably about on the button there. There happens to be bit of a back story which supports this, one involving Isaac Hayes. When I get a bit of time, hopefully later in the day, I'll explain the connection and what little information I know...

Social source share

Well you learn something new everyday.... I was always under the impression that Cameo recorded the origiinal version and had never connected the song to other artists. This thread has been really enlightning

Andy

post-13948-0-43827300-1315089650_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andy Rix
Social source share

Here's what I know about this acetate... ¨ ¨With the acetate came a 45 of the Casper Peters' version on Enterprise.

On the paper sleeve of this is a handwritten note that reads: ¨ ¨ Dear Isaac:- All I want to know is why?? ¨ ¨ The note is signed off with initials that look as if they read: JM. Reinforcing the question is an arrow pointing at the label of the Casper Peters' version.

Pic attached...

post-9478-0-69383100-1330717051_thumb.jp

Steve Cropper and Don Nix produced the Casper Peters 45, and Stax distributed the record. It seems reasonable to think that perhaps the Isaac being addressed is Isaac Hayes.

However, is there any connection to the man?

Both discs came from the estate sale of an old lady who, in her day, had been an antiques dealer. Among the lots for sale were a number of boxes containing personal items once belonging to Isaac Hayes.

It's thought that the antiques dealer might have bought these boxes at what I believe is called a lien sale. That, as I understand it, is when the tax authorities seize your assets and sells them off to the public, thus recouping some outstanding tax.

It is thought that after buying the boxes as a job lot, the lady left them in storage for years, possibly, I'm told, since the early 80s.

As has been pointed out, the writer of "Find my way" was Johnny Melfi. With the initials on the sleeve being "JM" could it be that Melfi scribbled the tersely written note to Hayes?

Had Melfi cut a new arrangement of the song and sent it to Hayes in the hope he'd get it released through Stax? Certainly, Hayes had control over such things then. Perhaps Hayes decided that the new arrangement was good, but not good enough, and so got Steve Cropper and Nix do their thing on it and had Casper Peters record it.

Unmistakably, there are many similarities between the arrangements of the two versions.

If any of this is correct, it dates the acetate version - the possible demo cut - to before the Casper Peters cut, which was released in 1970.

There's no documentation to substantiate this, only the story told to me and the facts that the acetate and the 45 were found together in the possessions that once belonged to Isaac Hayes, and the tantalizing coincidence that the initials just happen to be that of the songwriter...

Social source share

Guest theoriginator56

No way is that Lou Rawls.

Johnny Melfi was a record producer and songwriter (many songwriters are just songwriters). it could be a demo he cut on some other artist that was never released?

Assuming this is him, he also played bit parts in movies in the early 60s (not relevant, just random):

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2719815/

lou rawls was only a suggestion calm down.
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL First of all I assumed that the sound clip was not given and I have started, then I will check to see if it is this record? :rofl: if you are into rareish versions of the song this has more appeal, and not to easy to find, It's 1 of 2 records that Duane Clark put out on the SPARK Label # SRL1158 A, 1978.

I remember Rub Pheasant being surprised about this one when I played it few years back? value £10+ could be a biggie like his other release?????? :wicked: DAVE PS;- i THOUGHT YOU WERE JOKING ABOUT jOHNY MATHIS, THIS is not the one you are looking for, b :wave: ut it's the best version shame I have not put a sound clip up??

post-13241-0-64820100-1330742280_thumb.j :thumbup:Not the SAME but Better!

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

There's a soundclip of the Duane Clark to be had on this page:

https://www.cdandlp.com/item/2/0-220204-0-1-0/2946045933/duane-clark-find-my-way.html

That disco sound is really not my cup of tea. Each to their own, of course.

Johnny Melfi also released a version himself in early 78, as Johnny Melfi's Unison

Would like to hear a clip if this if anyone has it, or can find it online...

Social source share

So, these are the version of the song we have...

* The Tymes, Columbia, 1969

* Paul Anka, RCA (LP track), 1969

* Unidentified demo/acetate, 1970

* Casper Peters - Enterprise, 1970

* 3 Degrees - Roulette, 1972

* The Players - Chocolate City, 1975

* Cameo - Casablanca, 1977

* Duane Clark - Spark, 1978

* Johnny Melfi's Unison - Pyramid?, 1978

Any more info or additions..?

Social source share

Had Melfi cut a new arrangement of the song and sent it to Hayes in the hope he'd get it released through Stax? Certainly, Hayes had control over such things then. Perhaps Hayes decided that the new arrangement was good, but not good enough, and so got Steve Cropper and Nix do their thing on it and had Casper Peters record it.

Maybe Melfi cut the acetate in the hope that Isaac Hayes himself would record it......hence the "rap" intro that Mr Hayes used in a lot of his recordings

Then Melfi sent the 45 with note to show his dissapointment ?

Maybe its John Melfi himself on the acetate ? It would be good to hear his later (Pyramid ?)version to compare the voices

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Maybe Melfi cut the acetate in the hope that Isaac Hayes himself would record it......hence the "rap" intro that Mr Hayes used in a lot of his recordings

Then Melfi sent the 45 with note to show his dissapointment ?

Maybe its John Melfi himself on the acetate ? It would be good to hear his later (Pyramid ?)version to compare the voices

Cheers Paul

I had thought about that -- songwriter acetates are pretty common. But this sounds pretty finished to me, most of the songwriter acetates I've heard are more sparse.

Social source share

I agree that the penned message appears to convey "JM's" disappointment and frustration. If Melfi was merely demonstrating a song that he hoped Hayes might take on, then he succeeded, albeit with a different artist on vocals. No need to pen Hayes the terse note in that case, surely? After all, Melfi would receive the writer's credit no matter who sang it.

As you say Paul, perhaps Melfi did demo the song with a view to Hayes recording it himself. Not only the spoken intro, but the slower tempo and the bassy feel of the backing arrangement would be very much in keeping with Isaac's style.

Maybe it is Melfi singing. I expect it is - this would make sense. Whether it was with a view to Melfi's version, or a Hayes interpretation being released, we'll never know. Absolutely, a sound clip of Melfi's late 70s recordings, or any recording, would go a long way to identifying whether he is singing his own song on this disc.

Anyone got, or can find a clip of Melfi singing??

Social source share

I originally thought that it was definitely a Black singer when listening to the monologue but now listening in headphones I think it sounds more like a White guy (but I'm not sure). Was Johnny Melfi White or Black?

I also really don't see this as a demo, it has a full arrangement and everything.

Social source share

I agree that the penned message appears to convey "JM's" disappointment and frustration. If Melfi was merely demonstrating a song that he hoped Hayes might take on, then he succeeded, albeit with a different artist on vocals. No need to pen Hayes the terse note in that case, surely? After all, Melfi would receive the writer's credit no matter who sang it.

Yes but if Hayes had recorded it he would probably sold a whole lot more records making more dosh for "JM"

boba I see your point about it being a finished track..........maybe Melfi was looking to release it himself (if it is him singing) ?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

• 1 year later...

I was sharing some new-found information with Paul (Soul Shrews) about this track and he suggested it might be worth adding it to this old thread so, as he worded it, we could put the mystery to bed.

First off, as a reminder for those who can't be bothered to start from the beginning, this is the track in question - an unidentified version of "Find my way".

https://youtu.be/cumvDC3hiEw

Not so long ago, someone by the name of Willem Berry posted up to the YouTube video the following information:

You guys are all wrong about who sings in this version, his name is ART POSEY of ART & HONEY. Art also co-wrote and produced this version, and it was arranged by Leroy Glover. Bernard Purdy is playing drums. Art had done several demos for Johnny, such as "You Need Me", and "Nobody Knows My Name". Art left New York shortly after recording this song to go on the road with the national company of "Hallelujah Baby". Art later went on to hook up with Honey Session to form Art & Honey.

Wow, interesting stuff, and whoever the poster is, they seem to be very close to the musical action! This then is the same Art Posey who recorded "No more heartaches for me" on the Scope label out of Detroit.

And here's Art and Honey...

Listening to that track, and Art and Honey's "Let's make love now" on Motown, and it seems a pretty safe bet that the mystery "Find my way" vocalist is indeed Mr Art Posey.

Mystery solved? I certainly think so...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Mr Berry?

Esther Phillips With Ray Ellis' Orchestra

William Berry (flugelhorn) Leroy Glover (piano) Arif Mardin (organ) Carl Lynch, Al Shackman (guitar) George Duvivier (bass) Bobby Gregg (drums) Esther Phillips (vocals) unidentified 6 strings, Ray Ellis (arranger, director)

NYC, November

Social source share

We also recorded him, and released a record on him at Airwave Records, in 1981 and 1982.

You prompted me to have a further trawl online and I saw that on a Soulful Detroit thread (from 10 years ago) you mentioned that there could be interest in an Airwaves comp cd and that "There might also be some curiosity value in the Art Posey... [tracks]".

Curiosity value? And did you have any contact with Posey back then?

Further digging reveals that he's still making music, primarily through collaborations with an established poet/songwriter by the name of Theresa Haffner. They perform as a duo known as PH Factor. Songs in the main seem to be reworkings of standards such as "Stormy monday", "God bless the child", etc, along with Haffner's own material, all of which can be found on YouTube should anyone feel so inclined. There's even a 13-minute 'improvisation' of Jaggers/Richards' "Satisfaction".

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest son of stan

Great thread! I started another one but got redirected here...

One question which I don't see adressed above..Love the Casper Peters version. Anyone know anything about him..?

When I first got the record a good few years ago, I couldn't find many internet references to it but used to get a US football or baseball player or someone...? (But that could have just been search engine f#ckery!)

Also sounds a bit like someone impersonating Scott Walker!

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!