Lost Records In The Post - Who Does The Claim For The Lost Package

This has probably already been done, but couldnt find a specific thread.

If you buy a record and you pay via paypal or not, but dont recieve it. Someone has to make a claim on the post office, so who does it, the buyer or the seller?

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Within the US, I think the buyer or seller can make an insurance claim, at least if the item was damaged. You have to present the item and its packaging. Not sure about lost items and what documentation you need. Was the item sent insured? If not there's probably no postal claim to be made, except paypal will refund the buyers money if s/he makes a paypal claim.

Social source share

A seller mate of mine went through the process of claiming from the Post Office a short while ago, but was stumped when they refused to accept his valuation of the missing item They demanded proof, which he hadn't got, so they refused to pay up. Has anyone got any thoughts on this one?

Thanks

John

Social source share

This has probably already been done, but couldnt find a specific thread.

If you buy a record and you pay via paypal or not, but dont recieve it. Someone has to make a claim on the post office, so who does it, the buyer or the seller?

I would expect the person who posted the item has to take up the claim with the postal service assuming they paid for a type of postal service where you can make a claim ?

ethically wether he should refund the buyer would be down to what postal servciew the buyer asked or paid for.

on expensive sales I always send out special as a matter of cause and luckily i've nopt had any go missing yet.

Social source share

A seller mate of mine went through the process of claiming from the Post Office a short while ago, but was stumped when they refused to accept his valuation of the missing item They demanded proof, which he hadn't got, so they refused to pay up. Has anyone got any thoughts on this one?

Thanks

John

Yeh I've thought about this, when I get asked for the value for special delivery. Can get anything up to £500 for £5.90, so in theory could take the piss if you wanted to, so not suprised they ask for some kind of proof of value when claiming. Think when it comes to it I'll go down armed with Mr Manships guide - should cover me twice over!!!!! Seriously though never been in the position of having to claim for a lost item which I have sent special delivery - anyone any experience?

Mark

Social source share

Man, I remember having many issues with royal post when I was living in the UK at the time and in regards to trying to file a claim for. It...it really was a hard thing to deal with from time to time, but through persistance, it can work to your benefit.

One thing I do and depending on the season(holidays), constant communication is key with the buyer. Sometimes a delay is all it takes and just a waiting game. I give it usually a couple of days to a week at the most for the parcel to arrive, but if it does not arrive, I will refund the parties money back. Most of the time I will present the buyer with the option of getting the insurance and I put emphasis on getting it if it is more that £50.00, but I think tne seller should be responsible for such actions, since he/she is responisbe for supplying the goods., and then take it up with the post office.

I hope this situation works out for the best and for the most, even though the record did not make, it got damaged, and so on, it usually works for the best.

Good luck with the situation and most importantly, I hope it goes by fast for you.

Peace!

Edited by age
Social source share

If it is Royal Mail then the buyer should make the claim with support from the seller. They are pretty tricky about paying out these days.

Royal mail now require proof of value of the item which is quite difficult for the seller to produce, they will only refund the seller what they paid for the item not what they sold it for. The buyer can use his paypal or ebay or whatever invoice to prove value.

Social source share

Thanks

John

yes i've often wondered about that. I read the small print on the claims form some time ago and came to the conculsion it would be an absolute nightmare if you ever did need to go through the process. And as your friend found out you would probably not get the value you expected to get. Record dealers who do this full time probably have some kind of insurance that covers them for parcels that get lost etc etc.

but having said that special delivery does seem very reliable and removes a lot of the risk.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!