Kool And The Gang - Chocolate Buttermilk - 45 ?

Local

Is this available on 45 ?

Reason for asking,

I have had this a few times on b side of "Let the music take your mind" - Delite DE 529 - 0, but it plays a totally different tune to the album version on the you tube link below. I have asked a few other people about this and most say the same thing "that all the singles have the different version" ( sorry I cant upload it )

Just wondered if anybody can throw any light on this ?

Regards

J F

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Is this available on 45 ?

Reason for asking,

I have had this a few times on b side of "Let the music take your mind" - Delite DE 529 - 0, but it plays a totally different tune to the album version on the you tube link below. I have asked a few other people about this and most say the same thing "that all the singles have the different version" ( sorry I cant upload it )

Just wondered if anybody can throw any light on this ?

Regards

J F

I don't know what you're saying John. The youtube link you have posted is the 45 version. It is as you say the flip to 'Let the music....'

Social source share

this doesn't answer your question (sorry) but I have noticed recently that people have been bidding on and bidding up the chocolate buttermilk single for some reason.

That's because it's getting quite a lot of action on the dancefloors over here Bob.

Jordi

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't know what you're saying John. The youtube link you have posted is the 45 version. It is as you say the flip to 'Let the music....'

Hi Jordi,

The picture shows the 45 but the tune playing is the Album version.

What Im asking is, do all the 45s have the allternative tune or have I (and lots of others) just been unlucky in finding a miss pressed batch.

Regards,

JF

Social source share

Hi Jordi,

The picture shows the 45 but the tune playing is the Album version.

What Im asking is, do all the 45s have the allternative tune or have I (and lots of others) just been unlucky in finding a miss pressed batch.

Regards,

JF

That's the only version I know John (the one playing in the clip). I have an issue and a promo and they both play the same version. Why should the 45 version automatically be different to the lp version?

Social source share

That's the only version I know John (the one playing in the clip). I have an issue and a promo and they both play the same version. Why should the 45 version automatically be different to the lp version?

It shouldn't Jord, but all the copies that I have had (and Rob Kay) do play an alternative Funk instrumental that deffo isnt Choc Butter, plus when ever I've seen this played out its always been of the Album.

However if you've deffo got one, (two, do you wanna sell one ?) then you have answered my question.

I'm just on my way over to Gaz Holymans now so I will take a copy and leave it there so you can hear what I mean.

Regards

John

Social source share

To put it simply for you, "Chocolate Buttermilk" was released 3 times on the De Lite label.

Firstly, it appeared on Kool and the Gang's self titled first LP from 1969.

Then, secondly, the version that was on the first LP was released on a 45 as the flip of "Let the Music Take Your Mind".

Thirdly, it appeared on the live LP from 1971, "Live At The Sex Machine", but this was a different version to the one previously released above. The version on this LP is ... well ... recorded live - as it says on the tin - but it has some faint crowd noises briefly at the begining, and it is taken at a slightly quicker tempo and is a bit punchier than the previous first version. Never saw release on 45. This is probably the alternate album version that you have heard.

All you have to do is play the 45 at plus one or two on the turntable and you get close to the feel of the live LP version.

Great track either way and would be great to see it become big on the northern scene, obviously inspired by Archie Bell and the Drells "Tighten Up".

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!