Kops Collectables Toronto 1980S Pic

This was from about 1987 and the couple in the phot were also from the UK but I cannot remenber their names or where they were from but maybe somone recognises the girl in the foreground! What a great store and the was much more underneath as well as an 'unsorted' room that Martin kept the key to around his neck. Just joking (slightly). I couldn't believe what I was finding in the store itself, I have to admit that I am not a 'rare' soul collector as such, I prefer R&B/Latin stuff. There was also great cafes near by where we saw Robert Plant walking by on day. Just after coming back to the shop after lunch, Martin told us we had just missed John Ellison of the Soul Bros 6. I went over 3 years on the run and it was great each time. We stayed at Martin's house and he had almost as many records in his cellar as the shop, not to mention his warehouse! Any one else on here visit about this time?

post-430-0-52232400-1330770183_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

trip down memory lane that, i lived in Toronto for a few months in 1983, went to kops on several occasions, Martin always had a warm welcome from people from the u.k. , at the time he was raving about norma jenkins and the dolls the airplane song which i had not heard at that time, even then, it had a feel of a bit of a timewarp.

Social source share

That was me and the ex, in the pix, we were staying over with martin, the cellar of his house was also stocked with records, thats not to mention the warehouse, a case of where to start......., remember pulling my copy of ella woods from there, $17

Rob.

Great! Nice to hear from you Rob. I think we also saw you at the warehouse? I was with John Warner & Rob Hughes and also stayed with Martin. Did you get into his inner sanctum at his house where he had EVERYTHING! Great times.

Social source share

Martin is an excellent guy - last time there ended up talking to him for a good hour about the likes of Jackie Shane who used to play live nearby a lot, the Mark III on Canadian Quality I had that he'd not seen before, etc, when it was time to leave he wouldn't take a penny for the 45 I'd pulled, always wish him well when I play it.

Social source share

Great! Nice to hear from you Rob. I think we also saw you at the warehouse? I was with John Warner & Rob Hughes and also stayed with Martin. Did you get into his inner sanctum at his house where he had EVERYTHING! Great times.

I certainly did, the detroit stuff alone was immense, what about all the publicity shots of the artists adorning his record room walls, most signed too, i can remember you as you were pulling a lot of Stax stuff if i recall,yeah i got into the warehouse too, still catch up with Rob Hughes at Cleethorpes. saw Martin 18 months ago at John Farrells wedding, we even got him dancing!!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!