News: Jimmy Ellis (Trammps) R.i.p.

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Damn, damn, damn. My favourite group vocalist of all time from my favourite group of all time. Jimmy Ellis really was a huge part of the soundtrack of my whole life. I was lucky enough to play a couple of gigs with 'em - Cleethorpes Pier in the mid 70's and Baltic Soul last year plus I've been re-listening to their entire catalogue again just lately with several of Jimmy's vocals on the recent Philadelphia International releases, so this is a real shock.

EVERYONE knew Jimmy's voice. Who hasn't heard 'Disco Inferno' in their lives? Now there's a f*ckin' vocal!

RIP Jimmy.

Ian D

Social source share

I'm just reading the story of the Trammps, well the story of the Volcanos and the Trammps, called Behind The Curtains.

Another sad loss.

R.I.P Jimmy.

Oh dear-one of the true true greats of the Philadelphia R&b/soul music scene,.

Awesome awesome vocalist !!!!

Jimmy Ellis

RIP

[1937 -2012]

Edited by tfk
Social source share

just read the herald edict and thats a truly unrehearsed, astonishing piece....couldn't have put it better. i dont profess to being knowledgeable on group line-ups, so realising that its not only his voice that fronts the trammps, but a whole variety of numbers associated, ironically, with the northern scene, is an eye-opener....you certainly live & learn!

sheer tenacity handling the lyrics in the manner he did, on disco inferno, bears out to great effect what people are expressing about his vocal range...has to be in the top ten disco records of all-time. all of a sudden it comes to mind that jimmy ellis, for his magnanimous contributions to r & b over 5+ decades sits alongside the greats who have passed by our way. i connect with the volcanoes through to the trammps and am waking up to everything else in between, and all the time jimmy's was the guiding voice...now he's ( to coin a well spun phrase ) "burnin' that mother down" up in heaven city!!. :hatsoff2:

r.i.p. jimmy ellis

Social source share

For those who are interested, I'll be doing a mini-tribute to Jimmy Ellis LIVE on the show today.......

This week we're featuring an Original Mastercuts tribute to the late great Jimmy Ellis - one of my favourite vocalists of all time from one of my favourite groups of all time. So expect a few Trammps tracks OK?

Six Million Steps Presents The Original Mastercuts Show LIVE with Ian Dewhirst between 2.00-4.00pm on Sunday 18th March 2012 on everyone's favourite Soul station www.starpointradio.com.

Featuring......

The Trammps * Tortured Soul * Mascara feat Luther Vandross * The Blackbyrds * Raydio * George Benson * Eon * Anthony White feat Millie Jackson * The Trammps * Ronnie Walker * Barbara Acklin * Leon Haywood * Cecil Parker * Jimmy James * Al Johnson & Jean Carn * Kool & The Gang * Stephanie Mills * The Trammps

See you @ 2.00-4.00pm!

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert