Johnny Bragg RIP

Mike

NASHVILLE, Tenn. Johnny Bragg, a singer-songwriter who co-wrote the song "Just Walkin' in the Rain" as a state prison inmate, has died in Nashville.

He was 79 when he died of cancer today at a nursing home.

Bragg was the lead singer for the Prisonaires, a vocal group he formed while in the Tennessee State Penitentiary in the 1950s.

Interesting reading on Prisonaires can be found on this page

https://members.aol.com/jennysko/southern1.htm

Read interesting variations about visits by Elvis whilst in prison, ranging from Elvis just asking if he needed any assistance to Johnny Bragg giving him vocal tips

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Very sad news.......

God bless you Johnnie - you have a place in my memory, not just for your brilliant "They're Talkin' About Me", but also for your work with the Prisonaires. Such a shame that what could have been the best years of your life were spent behind bars, but it still didn't put an end to that talent....

As a final note, does anyone know the Johnnie Ray hit "Just Walking In The Rain"? You wouldn't if it hadn't been for Johnnie Bragg; he wrote it, and first recorded it for Sam Philips' Sun label in 1953, with the Prisonaires, whilst still serving concurrent life sentences.

The music lives on forever.

Gene

Social source share

Knew he was inside when he recorded TTAM didnt know what for 99 years is a long time, the parole violation was a joke just shows how times have changed just showed my 16 year daughter the write up on him & the prisonners she could not belive things like this happend in my life time

Social source share

What's the story behind him doin time, am I right in thinking he killed someone cos his missus was messing about and he got sent down for killing him?

I can't go nowhere

shant' to show my face

they're talkin' about me

why don't they behave

Oh yes they're lookin' and they're whisperin' and they're laughin'

they're talkin' about me

It's good news to them

just a funnee joke

their plan didn't happen

why I'll never know

they're talkin' about me

they're wonderin' why

you left you left me last night

keep laughin' at me

but that's alright

dear I love you so much

I just can't let you go

please give me a chance

I need you sooo

friends call me a fool

a fool I maybe

but my friends don't know

what you do to me

they're talkin' about me

they're talkin' about me

can't you hear them talkin'

can't you see them whisperin'

got to know they're laughin'

they're talkin' about me

they're talkin' about me

talkin' talkin' about me

Ah, what a tune.

Forget about the Elbejay issue, what about the fantastic orange vinyl Inferno issue with P/S? anyone got that? I have. (plus white demo and green issue elbejay)

Jamie

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Karen Heath

SORRY SORRY SORRY.

Just read the article as I should have done in the first place. Outrageous. Does anybody know of any more articles that go into the story in more depth?

Social source share

Kitty ,

At age 16 he was falsely accused of rape (by his then girlfriend). He was eventually convicted of multiple rape charges (all ultimately proven false) and given six 99-year sentences and sent to the Tennessee State Prison in 1944, right after his 17th birthday.

Being a book worm - you should get his biography - it's very interesting. It came out earlier this year and it's called 'Just Walkin' in the rain' (you can buy it second hand on amazon)

Full article here

Laters petal

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Thank you Kolla and Craig-have just spent the time since my posting admonishing myself and beating myself about the head with heavy objects. Must remember not to comment when I have just got in from a heavy day, haven't read the article and have only speed read the previous posts (like a prize buffoon!)

Will get the book asap.

See you later Kolla.

With the utmost of remorse, Kitty.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!