Butlers with Frankie Beverly On Rouser

Dylan

Just to note ...  Bobby Allen, who was one of the trumpet players on the Shrine sessions, later became a member of the El Corols .. and had a 45 release on Rouser .. told me that Frank Beverley's uncle was also in the group ..so there is afirm connection between Frank and Rouser

Andy

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Have recorded the MP3s of both Fairmount and Rouser versions from YouTube using Audacity and checked whether they are the same speed using a Beats Per Minute program called BPM Counter. I've assumed that the recording were put on to YouTube without being speeded up. This is what I found, Fairmount 158.21 bpm and Rouser 159.47 bpm, so Rouser only very slightly faster that would suggest that despite Fairmount lasting 2:39 minutes and Rouser 2:31 minutes (from recording) they are the same speed and hence the Rouser one is just chopped from Fairmount original as Chalky suggested.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 hours ago, Andy Rix said:

Just to note ...  Bobby Allen, who was one of the trumpet players on the Shrine sessions, later became a member of the El Corols .. and had a 45 release on Rouser .. told me that Frank Beverley's uncle was also in the group ..so there is afirm connection between Frank and Rouser

Andy

Did you or have you any info on the mysterious Mr Rouse Andy

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Did you or have you any info on the mysterious Mr Rouse Andy

There's not much info on Tom Rouse on the net- in 1973 he did work for the Building Community Arts Recording Corp. where he was in charge of the BCA, Rouser and Top Soul labels.  ( from the 1973 Billboard Record Manufacturers section) - 

BCA.jpg

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 2
Social source share

6 hours ago, The Yank said:

There's not much info on Tom Rouse on the net- in 1973 he did work for the Building Community Arts Recording Corp. where he was in charge of the BCA, Rouser and Top Soul labels.  ( from the 1973 Billboard Record Manufacturers section) - 

BCA.jpg

Brilliant and Rouser was first used Feb 18th 1970 and Patented March 13th 1970.

I can't recall seeing the other labels ? Patents have him as Thomas Earl Rouse

• Up vote 2
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Tai-pan said:

Awesome digging, thanks for sharing Simon. 😊

A bit more for you

The El Corols Band & Show was a group of Junior High School students from DC that performed through the 1950s & 1960s

Out of that group came, saxophonist, Carter Jefferson, R&B Guitarist, Greg Gaskins, Trumpeters Donald Tillery & Sir Joe Quarterman and Star Performer, Jimi Smooth, and Jazz Vocalist, Lavenia Nesmith

The Tiny release was first and once again Rouser a few years later

El.jpg

Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

That's another thing off my bucket list Dave, teaching you something you didn't know, I'll get my prize please.

Ah but I was the guilty party that said it was after fairmount and had the sax break chopped down in the  first place many years ago.. so long ago boba was still alive…  many said I was incorrect.. which It now obviously wasn’t.. never saw anything on the net before I raised questions even if others thought along the same lines… I’m still waiting for my prize

Edited by Dave Pinch
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

The other Rouser single was The Past, Present And The Future - If I Could Live For Eternity, RI 3542 label indicates that they were formally the Mandells in addition contains information the same as found by The Yank A Building Community Art Project.. In addition the El Corols on Rouser RI 2964 the b side is called Aint No Bragg but is Chick Chick info in 45cat as follows :Track B Copyright as Chick-Chick (No brag, just fact) w Arthur Barge, Jr. m Edward Hicks, Jr. Appl. Ti: Ain't No Brag (c) Fangette Music 7JUL69 EU122710 [Notice as Chick Chick (Ain't no brag) (c) Fangette Willett 26FEB70 v99 p166]. So as Simon T indicated above El Corols was released 3 times once on Tiny and twice on Rouser! 

Social source share

can't credit source as it from a RSS file of a defunct site

" While fans of the late 1960s Western series The Guns of Will Sonnett loved Walter Brennan’s bold catchphrase “No brag, just fact,” only 18 year-old trumpet player Tiny Barge (pictured second from right) of the El Corols Band and Show thought it would make a great chorus for a song.

Formed by several junior high school students in 1958, the El Corols Band and Show played covers of popular songs in clubs and private events around Washington DC and performed with The Temptations at The Howard Theatre, Dionne Warwick at the Shore Hotel, and The Supremes at Carr’s Beach of the Chitlin’ Circuit.

After rehearsing for weeks in a barbershop on H St. NE in 1968 the El Corols Band and Show walked in Aadvark Studios in Silver Spring, MD and cut two songs—the Guns of Will Sonnett inspired “Chick Chick” and “You Gotta Be An Angel” co-written by Tiny Barge and future Motown songsmith Fangette Willett. The band released the 45 on Tiny Records and Rouser Records and radio stations WOOK and WOL helped popularize “Chick Chick” in the DC area.

Over 20 years members of the El Corols Band and Show included Johnny Freeman on trombone (left); Robert Freeman on trumpet; Robert Battle on drums; Milton Grant on bass; Charles Robinson and Dewy Holloway on baritone saxophone; Carter Jefferson, Ron Holloway and Linwood Newbold on saxophone; Eddie Hicks and Gregory “Guitar Greg” Gaskins on guitar; Frank Delany on congas, Tiny Barge, Donald Tillery, and “Sir” Joe Quarterman on trumpet; Karissa Freeman on keyboards, Little Wimpy Johnson, Sydney “El Sid” Peoples, and Jimi “Senor” Smoot on vocals; and the El Coroletts—“Little” Yvonne Glover (second from left), Brenda Brown (right), Renada Dowd, and Arlene Williams. Other band members were Bobby Allen, Edward Freeman, and Earl Brown.

Though the El Corols Band and Show eventually disbanded in the 1970s, they inspired many musicians in Washington, DC and served as a springboard for several members including Elvis’ band mate Guitar Greg, Carter Jefferson, Donald Tillery of The Soul Searchers, Tiny Barge, and “Sir” Joe Quarterman.

image.png.f1c98b73c8a1cb6853684eed956f87d5.png

Edited by Simon T
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Simon T said:

" While fans of the late 1960s Western series The Guns of Will Sonnett loved Walter Brennan’s bold catchphrase “No brag, just fact,” only 18 year-old trumpet player Tiny Barge (pictured second from right) of the El Corols Band and Show thought it would make a great chorus for a song.

Formed by several junior high school students in 1958, the El Corols Band and Show played covers of popular songs in clubs and private events around Washington DC and performed with The Temptations at The Howard Theatre, Dionne Warwick at the Shore Hotel, and The Supremes at Carr’s Beach of the Chitlin’ Circuit.

After rehearsing for weeks in a barbershop on H St. NE in 1968 the El Corols Band and Show walked in Aadvark Studios in Silver Spring, MD and cut two songs—the Guns of Will Sonnett inspired “Chick Chick” and “You Gotta Be An Angel” co-written by Tiny Barge and future Motown songsmith Fangette Willett. The band released the 45 on Tiny Records and Rouser Records and radio stations WOOK and WOL helped popularize “Chick Chick” in the DC area.

Over 20 years members of the El Corols Band and Show included Johnny Freeman on trombone (left); Robert Freeman on trumpet; Robert Battle on drums; Milton Grant on bass; Charles Robinson and Dewy Holloway on baritone saxophone; Carter Jefferson, Ron Holloway and Linwood Newbold on saxophone; Eddie Hicks and Gregory “Guitar Greg” Gaskins on guitar; Frank Delany on congas, Tiny Barge, Donald Tillery, and “Sir” Joe Quarterman on trumpet; Karissa Freeman on keyboards, Little Wimpy Johnson, Sydney “El Sid” Peoples, and Jimi “Senor” Smoot on vocals; and the El Coroletts—“Little” Yvonne Glover (second from left), Brenda Brown (right), Renada Dowd, and Arlene Williams. Other band members were Bobby Allen, Edward Freeman, and Earl Brown.

Though the El Corols Band and Show eventually disbanded in the 1970s, they inspired many musicians in Washington, DC and served as a springboard for several members including Elvis’ band mate Guitar Greg, Carter Jefferson, Donald Tillery of The Soul Searchers, Tiny Barge, and “Sir” Joe Quarterman.

71pbQYtOQYL._SS500_.jpg

Social source share

2 hours ago, Simon T said:

Tiny Barge, owner of the first release then.
Arthur Leon Barge, Jr.. Now this man has pedigree.

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

1 minute ago, Ronniesoul said:

Found this patent that Tom Rouse was granted as Trade Mark for Rouser Mar 13 1970 which lists full name as Thomas Earl Rouse, this may help with searches, although I was unable to find anything else. Always liked the devil trademark on label.

Thomas Earl Rouse.JPG

You missed my post 12 hours ago 😇

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Ronniesoul said:

Found this patent that Tom Rouse was granted as Trade Mark for Rouser Mar 13 1970 which lists full name as Thomas Earl Rouse, this may help with searches, although I was unable to find anything else. Always liked the devil trademark on label.

Thomas Earl Rouse.JPG

I found this a couple day but didn't bother posting. I think the CL 36 relates to something financial. I was  wondering if Mr Rouse financed the Rouser label releases in exchange for having his name as the , producer etc on the label;. Sort of like 'executive' producers do with films sometimes, no production input, just the financial backing.

Untitled-1 copyx.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

that 'origin' story behind 'aint no brag' is entertaining

any one mentioned the similar fact that just like 'Because Of My Heart', there were at least two versions of 'Chick Chick' released?

anyone compared them both in depth, stand alone versions or similar edits as per "Because Of My Heart" ?

Social source share

35 minutes ago, Source said:

that 'origin' story behind 'aint no brag' is entertaining

any one mentioned the similar fact that just like 'Because Of My Heart', there were at least two versions of 'Chick Chick' released?

anyone compared them both in depth, stand alone versions or similar edits as per "Because Of My Heart" ?

Good point and how the lead sounds a little like Marvin Simms(Get Off My Back) ? I think these are the 2 recordings

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!