Butlers with Frankie Beverly On Rouser

Dylan

I found a test pressing of this in the early 90s for $3 in the Baltimore/Washington area. Not a big lover of said 45 i part traded with same against Patrinell Staten with Soul Sam, interestingly Rob Thomas later told me that it was a Rouser copy, guess i'll never know now :D .

Social source share

I thought Fairmount was first and the edited for the Rouser release? The Rouser copy uses the Fairmount number.

As per reply to Andy, I have some of the information somewhere but need to listen to the tapes again. I'm sure Frank (Howard) ... ooohh no, titter ye not, Howard is his real name, said that the Fairmount release had not been widely (within the region) distributed and the Rouser release would do better. Obviously that's not the case taking into the rarity of the two, unless someone knows different. Luckily I'm on holiday next week and that may give me time to go trawling in the loft and find said tape.

Steve :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I found a test pressing of this in the early 90s for $3 in the Baltimore/Washington area. Not a big lover of said 45 i part traded with same against Patrinell Staten with Soul Sam, interestingly Rob Thomas later told me that it was a Rouser copy, guess i'll never know now :D .

Oh Arthur.... how could you :D

Social source share

As per reply to Andy, I have some of the information somewhere but need to listen to the tapes again. I'm sure Frank (Howard) ... ooohh no, titter ye not, Howard is his real name, said that the Fairmount release had not been widely (within the region) distributed and the Rouser release would do better. Obviously that's not the case taking into the rarity of the two, unless someone knows different. Luckily I'm on holiday next week and that may give me time to go trawling in the loft and find said tape.

Steve :hatsoff2:

Be good to listen to the interview or a transcribe Steve. Same for all the interviews you have.

Social source share

Bloody hell Chalky, now that would be a mission. Transferring to PC and posting up, finding the damn things in the first place. Choosing which was best...Herb Ward having no interest in the music industry and just wanting to be a trucker, Val Simpson just being a Diva and wanting to talk about work with Nick rather than going further back into the Motown years, Jesse Davis and his foray into movie soundtracks, Barbara McNair (never printed), Linda Griner with much previously un-heard material for a book... where do I start. Maybe if someone with time and energy on here would like to do it for me I can supply the tapes. Now there's a task for someone. Over to you guys

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

PM me your address Chalky and I'll get a couple off. They are literally on cassette tape recorded on a portable tape recorder on speaker phone. I'll have a look over the next week and see what or who I can find that make interesting listening / reading for SS members

Steve

Social source share

PM me your address Chalky and I'll get a couple off. They are literally on cassette tape recorded on a portable tape recorder on speaker phone. I'll have a look over the next week and see what or who I can find that make interesting listening / reading for SS members

Steve

sent. I still have a tape player, not long ago bought a second for transferring tapes and all set up at side of computer :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 8 years later...
9 minutes ago, Soulstrutter said:

Hey Steve & Chalky ... just found this great thread whilst doing some research ... did you 2 progress this further?  If not, I'm sure there's a few us us with time on our hands now to help!  Shame to leave them collecting dust!

No Steve never got round to sending the tapes.  I have the time still too convert them if Steve is still interested.

Social source share

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, BazFromThePast said:

I'm not a regular visitor to this site, but when I do, I enjoy reading the banter and very impressed at the level and depth of knowledge that the members have. I only discovered this fascinating thread last week, it goes back some time and it's still open!

After much debate about which recording came first and what are the differences, or are they in fact the same. I thought I'd try and help as I'm fortunate to own a copy of both records. Therefore, last week I recorded both records one after another, I then played them both at the same time, switching the sound from one to another, to determine whether one's faster or differs in any way up to the sax break.

Unfortunately, my ears aren't good enough to spot any tiny differences. It's obvious that the sax break is longer on the Fairmont copy (approx. 12.5 seconds against Rouser's 6 seconds) and that the Rouser copy uses the Fairmont number on the label and in the dead wax. Which suggests that Cameo Parkways Fairmont label came first. (For completeness the Fairmont copy is BellSound stamped).

It's been previously noted by Chalky that the Rouser recording has a faster start, which it does sound like when listening to the two together. Therefore, within iMovie, I separated the sound files and compared them, and the Rouser copy reaches the sax break a full 3.5 seconds before the Fairmont recording. This would point to the Rouser copy being either a completely different recording, or the track was sped up for the new press.

Looking at the peaks and troughs of the sound file, they are similar, but not the same, which could point to a different recording, or maybe just the difference in the quality of the pressing plant of the two. I have no idea how to reliably differentiate the two. 

To add, the Fairmont copy is 2:43 long and the Rouser copy 2:33 long. That's 10 seconds different, which accounts for the 6.5 second difference in the sax break plus the 3.5sec difference that the Rouser copy takes to get to the break. It may be a new recording or that the original recording on Fairmont was sped up a tiny bit and the sax break cut down on Rouser to reduce the overall length of the record, to shoe horn it nearer to a two and a half minutes long record, maybe thinking that could appeal better to the radio stations at the time and therefore lead to more plays and sales. Maybe Steve's tapes would help on this, if Chalky can get his hands on them.

I have mixed feelings, I prefer the Rousers' speed, but miss the preferred longer sax break on Fairmont.

I hope this all helps in some way. Also, if it would help, or you are interested, I could put the recording of the two on the decks together and provide a link here, for you to do your own comparison. Please just let me know.

Very detailed info baz,I know your good at spotting the tiny differences in records! I would propose it’s simply a faster recording,simply because I’ve recorded in recording studios many times in bands,and based on the fact we’re talking the 60’s analogue,to record the song again would not produce the same sound no matter how hard you try,the individual musicians wouldn’t even care about being exact in phrasing etc...this is before you get to the mixing,the mixing involves adding reverb etc to every individual instrument inc each part of the drum kit! In fact the easiest thing to do as a band would simply to play faster or slower! In which case you may aswell just speed up the original master tape and or chop out out what you don’t want! Plus the sax break on the rouser has definitely been chopped manually cos it sounds a bit rough to be honest! To my ears the the songs sound exact in the phrasing of the band and the singers!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

That’s a good point Dobber.  I hope you are well pal, it’s been too long. 
The sound file is similar enough to substantiate what you say too. I did say I thought it was either/or.
I’ve just listened again and you can also hear Frankie’s quiet shout just into the start of the sax break and it’s the same on both. That’s too much of a coincidence for them to be different recordings.
So the original recording sped up with a rough cut of the Sax break sounds about right.  
It would be good if Steve’s tapes could explain the rationale.

Take care Dobber.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...
29 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

It may be that the demo was late 1966 and the issue early 1967 ?

Very, very likely.  I remember seeing the Fairmount DJ issue in 1966.  It is likely that the store stocker didn't get to stores until at least January 1967.  Half or more of December is dead time (when nothing happens).  But, I've also seen LOTS of records that were already out to distributors, and possibly to some stores, when the so-called official release date ended up being "assigned" or first recorded on paper as a later date.

Social source share

20 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

As in this possible connection ?

Tuffy.jpeg

Got it, can't make out the month !!!

Frankie.jpg

Looks like a six, definitely not 11 (Nov.)

The connection is the production company behind the recordings, not relation to the labels as far as I know.  

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Looks like a six, definitely not 11 (Nov.)

The connection is the production company behind the recordings, not relation to the labels as far as I know.  

Rouser label is similar type as Tuffy though ? Publishing is same

Frankie A.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Another connection between Tuffy, Quaker, Fairmount is Pecle pub/music looking this up in 45cat found this link to Faye Simmons and the connection to Philly soul etc.

http://www.45cat.com/record/nc353733us

In addition The Yank/Blackpool soul suggested that from the date stamped on the DJ copy that it was recorded in Nov 1966 and that the issue was released early 1967. Looking at 45cat this would seem likely:

F-1016 :Lonnie Youngblood Nov 1966

F-1017:Frankie Beverly and Butlers 1967 but month not mentioned

F-1018 Gene Waiters 1967 as above

F1019 Daddy Kae and Yvonne Feb 1967.

So that places Frankie Beverly F-1017 release to Jan 1967.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, ronniesoul said:

Another connection between Tuffy, Quaker, Fairmount is Pecle pub/music looking this up in 45cat found this link to Faye Simmons and the connection to Philly soul etc.

http://www.45cat.com/record/nc353733us

In addition The Yank/Blackpool soul suggested that from the date stamped on the DJ copy that it was recorded in Nov 1966 and that the issue was released early 1967. Looking at 45cat this would seem likely:

F-1016 :Lonnie Youngblood Nov 1966

F-1017:Frankie Beverly and Butlers 1967 but month not mentioned

F-1018 Gene Waiters 1967 as above

F1019 Daddy Kae and Yvonne Feb 1967.

So that places Frankie Beverly F-1017 release to Jan 1967.

The address for Pecle is 1834 West Girard Avenue, Philadelphia, the same as Quaker Town.  LT as stated in the 45 cats comments going by the numbering changed to Quakertown after this solitary release.  Liberty Bell as stated also at the same address and shares the same numbering system.

Frankie Beverley had some connection with Quakertown/Pecle (Butlers on Liberty Bell as well as the publishing on WTFIW) but Fairmount probably had no connection other than recording Beverley and his group.

Social source share

6 hours ago, Chalky said:

The address for Pecle is 1834 West Girard Avenue, Philadelphia, the same as Quaker Town.  LT as stated in the 45 cats comments going by the numbering changed to Quakertown after this solitary release.  Liberty Bell as stated also at the same address and shares the same numbering system.

Frankie Beverley had some connection with Quakertown/Pecle (Butlers on Liberty Bell as well as the publishing on WTFIW) but Fairmount probably had no connection other than recording Beverley and his group.

Frankie owned 49% of Pecle Publishing and Productions in 1975

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=XSQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT3&lpg=PT3&dq=Pecle+Publishing+and+Productions+philadelphia&source=bl&ots=Z4QA73velX&sig=ACfU3U2U2f6pGywR_8R5J8fdFL8AQJ082w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjO-JfC6br2AhUGa8AKHaDWBHkQ6AF6BAgdEAM#v=onepage&q=Pecle Publishing and Productions philadelphia&f=false

Social source share

7 hours ago, Chalky said:

Fairmount was a fully-owned subsidiary of Cameo-Parkway.  They must have heard "Because of My Heart", and liked it enough to sign Frankie and The Butlers to an artist contract, rather than just leasing their Quakertown Productions' previous master (as they re-recorded it, or, at least replaced tracks and remixed it.  In fact, I think I remember seeing a blurb in one of the trade papers announcing that Cameo-Parkway signed The Butlers, and that they were assigned to their Fairmount Records subsidiary label.

As far as why Quakertown didn't release it originally on one of their labels, but, instead leased it to D.C.'s Rouser Records, must be because they thought this cut would become a hit, and they didn't have enough cash at that time, to press up all the records they thought they might need, and maybe they were offered a bigger cut in their split of sales revenue than any Philadelphia label with whom they had tried to make a deal on it.  Rouser certainly didn't have a large network of national distribution like Cameo-Parkway, who ended up distributing it nationally.  I suppose Rouser had, at least,  a little better East Coast (regional) distribution than Quakertown/Liberty Bell. 

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

1 hour ago, Robbk said:

Fairmount was a fully-owned subsidiary of Cameo-Parkway.  They must have heard "Because of My Heart", and liked it enough to sign Frankie and The Butlers to an artist contract, rather than just leasing their Quakertown Productions' previous master (as they re-recorded it, or, at least replaced tracks and remixed it.  In fact, I think I remember seeing a blurb in one of the trade papers announcing that Cameo-Parkway signed The Butlers, and that they were assigned to their Fairmount Records subsidiary label.

As far as why Quakertown didn't release it originally on one of their labels, but, instead leased it to D.C.'s Rouser Records, must be because they thought this cut would become a hit, and they didn't have enough cash at that time, to press up all the records they thought they might need, and maybe they were offered a bigger cut in their split of sales revenue than any Philadelphia label with whom they had tried to make a deal on it.  Rouser certainly didn't have a large network of national distribution like Cameo-Parkway, who ended up distributing it nationally.  I suppose Rouser had, at least,  a little better East Coast (regional) distribution than Quakertown/Liberty Bell. 

Rouser was after Fairmount, they did the edit/remix, just cut parts out.  It even uses the Fairmount number.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, Robbk said:

The twists and turns of labels and releases is truly fascinating, never fails to amaze me how some tracks see releases on obscure foreign labels, without a sniff of a release in the US. Back to Quakertown, there was definitely a buoyant  emergent scene happening in the DC, Virginia and the Carolinas around that time, which was a little faster and bouncy in tempo. Anyone know how the other Rouser releases tie in?

Edited by Tai-pan
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Tai-pan said:

The twists and turns of labels and releases is truly fascinating, never fails to amaze me how some tracks see releases on obscure foreign labels, without a sniff of a release in the US. Back to Quakertown, there was definitely a buoyant  emergent scene happening in the DC, Virginia and the Carolinas around that time, which was a little faster and bouncy in tempo. Anyone know how the other Rouser releases tie in?

Both Frankie Beverley and The El Corals on Rouser are both reissues or another go at hitting the charts?  Both are edited takes of their original Fairmount and Tiny releases. How they came to be placed with Tommy Rouse and his label I don't know????

Social source share

Well, who would of thought that Fairmount was before Rouser!!

Big label before little label!

I suppose it's obvious when you compare both label numbers!

Reminds me of the yellow label Pameline with the Palmer release number in the runout deadwax!

Edited by D9 Ktf
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, D9 Ktf said:

Well, who would of thought that Fairmount was before Rouser!!

Big label before little label!

I suppose it's obvious when you compare both label numbers!

Reminds me of the yellow label Pameline with the Palmer release number in the runout deadwax!

A big label indeed with some artists that little or nothing has been said about

Social source share

9 hours ago, Robbk said:

it was franks 2nd 45 on fairmount too after she kissed me in august 1966 on F 1012

Social source share

9 hours ago, Chalky said:

Rouser was after Fairmount, they did the edit/remix, just cut parts out.  It even uses the Fairmount number.

Thanks for informing me of that.  So, maybe Rouser re-recorded it for The Beach Scene???  I don't know when that started.  In any case, maybe Frankie and his current management thought they could get good sales with it being reissued.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Robbk said:

Thanks for informing me of that.  So, maybe Rouser re-recorded it for The Beach Scene???  I don't know when that started.  In any case, maybe Frankie and his current management thought they could get good sales with it being reissued.

I don't think Rouser re-recorded it or used another take rather just chop bits out of the Fairmount take. I'll have to listen again to refresh the grey matter.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I don't think Rouser recorded it or used another take rather just chop bits out of the Fairmount take. I'll have to listen again to refresh the grey matter.

To me, it sounds like the same take but sped up and with an edit near the end of the song.

Judge for yourself- 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Weingarden said:

Pull the cotton out of your ears, guys! I have never seen ANYONE mention the most obvious difference between the Fairmount and Rouser releases. Fairmount: HANDCLAPS! Rouser: none.

Many years ago, would have been around 1980, I had a Fairmount for some time. cost around £35 at Wigan. Few months later I bought the Rouser copy from Johnathan W at a Notts Palais all-dayer. I remember the Rouser copy  being distinctly different in its fidelity and mix, claps and breaks are a give away. For me the Fairmount had a brighter, looser sound whilst the Rouser was a tad more polished. 

I personally think this may be the same take, with a different mix.

Edited by Tai-pan
Social source share

10 hours ago, Weingarden said:

Pull the cotton out of your ears, guys! I have never seen ANYONE mention the most obvious difference between the Fairmount and Rouser releases. Fairmount: HANDCLAPS! Rouser: none.

Yep handclaps on the Fairmount plus the edited sax break on the Rouser and the Rouser take seems to be pitched up

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!