Best Ever British Northern Soul

Dayo

I'm still a relative newbie here, so please forgive me if this ones been asked before; I guess it'll disappear quickly if the topic is a chestnut.

Here's the question; what's your absolute favourite home grown Northern Soul record? I'm looking for YOUR one or two faves, rather than endless lists of songs we all know are British productions.

I've a big soft spot for Stella Starr's version of Bring Him Back, partly because of the massive drum sound and mostly coz I once had a shiny mint UK demo. Frankie and Johnny's I'll Hold You sounds for all the world like a US production, but my fave has got to be Band Of Angels - Invitation. Simple song, simply done, great vocals from Mike D'Abo, perhaps not soulful enough for most tastes?

What do you think? If it's not a contradiction in terms; Best ever British produced Northern Soul record?

PS First person to suggest Nosmo King/Javells gets a free black and decker nose hair trimmer! :D

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

• Replies 124
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm still a relative newbie here, so please forgive me if this ones been asked before; I guess it'll disappear quickly if the topic is a chestnut.

Here's the question; what's your absolute favourite home grown Northern Soul record? I'm looking for YOUR one or two faves, rather than endless lists of songs we all know are British productions.

I've a big soft spot for Stella Starr's version of Bring Him Back, partly because of the massive drum sound and mostly coz I once had a shiny mint UK demo. Frankie and Johnny's I'll Hold You sounds for all the world like a US production, but my fave has got to be Band Of Angels - Invitation. Simple song, simply done, great vocals from Mike D'Abo, perhaps not soulful enough for most tastes?

What do you think? If it's not a contradiction in terms; Best ever British produced Northern Soul record?

PS First person to suggest Nosmo King/Javells gets a free black and decker nose hair trimmer! :D

Paula Parfitt

Social source share

I really love Jon Ford's version of " You got me where you want me " [Phillips ] , plus his " Running around " is another fave , though probably not very well known .Jimmy Thomas " Beautiful night " must be up there as is Carl Douglas " Serving a sentance of life " . Still got my first ever British tape which Budgie [ then Southampton ] gave me in 1977 !! Best Wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

Too many really:

chapter five

ray merrell

frankie & johnny

kenny roberts - run like the devil

sonny childe - heartbreak (why this never went big I'll never know)

john andrews - it's just love

to name a few

I'm with you Pete, there are too many BUT if there was just one, what would it be? Think of Dessert Island Disks.

Also, any chance of a soundbyte of;

Kenny Roberts - Run Like The Devil

Sonny Childe - Heartbreak

Cheers Matey.

Social source share

I'm with you Pete, there are too many BUT if there was just one, what would it be? Think of Dessert Island Disks.

Also, any chance of a soundbyte of;

Kenny Roberts - Run Like The Devil

Sonny Childe - Heartbreak

Cheers Matey.

Can certainly do Kenny Roberts but I don't think I ever put Sonny Childe onto cd and don't have the record anymore - have it on tape but those are in the garage...and it's cold..brrrrr

This Empty Place - Janie Marden - Decca

That Other Place - Susan Maughan - Phillips

another 2 class tracks

People take the piss when you say you like the Susan Maughan record but it truly is brilliant, the arrangement actually improves on the Wade Flemons version with that extra brass, and I like the way she changes the delivery as well...great stuff

Social source share

Oh yes ,that was a great one Pete , bought a mint Green and Silver demo off Pete Widd in Wigan record bar for about £8 , wish I still had it !! Best ,Eddie

===

my top uk picks

gene latter - groove it - private stock

barry st john - everything i touch - colombia

silver bullit - willpower weak - phillips

susan shirley - really into something - phillips

cailfornia in crowd - happiness in my heart - fontana

kenny roberts - run like the devil - pye issue

Social source share

Can certainly do Kenny Roberts but I don't think I ever put Sonny Childe onto cd and don't have the record anymore - have it on tape but those are in the garage...and it's cold..brrrrr

People take the piss when you say you like the Susan Maughan record but it truly is brilliant, the arrangement actually improves on the Wade Flemons version with that extra brass, and I like the way she changes the delivery as well...great stuff

I Personally think the Susan Maughan version is miles better than Wade Flemons

Steve

Social source share

I'll claim the prize on offer by nominating Nosmo King!!!!!!!!

Does I'll Try Anything by Dusty Springfield qualify? - Great singer, great song

For me it's got to be Dusty's version of Whats It Gonna Be.

Also love Long John Baldry's version of The Drifter whistling.gif

Social source share

i love john andrews "its just love". also like cilla doing a track called "yo yo" .... very upbeat.

Thats a Billy Joe Royal track she covered, his version used to get played as well. Her version of The Real Thing was on the same LP and, I think, a slow version of Everything I Touch Turns To Tears.

Social source share

Chants - Baby I don't need your love - RCA (first heard on a tape from...Eddie Hubbard!)

One of my faves this one pete. I remember listening to this on my walkman when i was a nipper. I always remebered it but could never describe it in later years to my dad. Recently got it on british soul vol 1.

Quality tune laugh.gif

Does this ever get played out. Id love to hear it.

Social source share

sue Lynn, Don't Pity Me :lol: I always sing my head off to this one karen_bridges09.gif

I have two cd's called British Soul 1 & 2 - some good stuff on those karen_bridges03.gif

Edited by Soulgirl
Social source share

That's a young Colin Day on his way to a soul do way back when, if memory serves.

Pete, what labesl is that Ebony Keyes thing on?

Piccadilly...

sue Lynn, Don't Pity Me :lol: I always sing my head off to this one karen_bridges09.gif

I have two cd's called British Soul 1 & 2 - some good stuff on those karen_bridges03.gif

Brilliant sleeve notes on volume 2 as well :lol:

Social source share

It`s a better version because that song should never ever have been sung by a bloke, frickin wimp what was he thinking.

Social source share

Piccadilly...

Brilliant sleeve notes on volume 2 as well

:lol:

sue Lynn, Don't Pity Me :P I always sing my head off to this one karen_bridges09.gif

:lol:

Mike Vickers - On the Brink

Soulmates - Too late to say you're sorry

Spice - What about the music

Carl Douglas - Serving a sentance of life

Jason Knight - Our love is getting stronger

Tammy St John - Nobody knows what's going on (in my mind but me)

Tony Colton - I stand accused

Social source share

does nobody like TIMI YURO???

it'll never be over for me-liberty cant stop running away-mercury

reach out for me-KATHY KIRBY "stunning version" either way you lose-ROBBIE PORTER "magical" :lol:

Edited by wolvessoulboy
Social source share

Has anyone mentioned

Soul Joe Clements - Ever Ever

Surely the best of the best?

Oh yes :lol: Not for everyone I`ve been argued. Is it British production.Always wanted one but pricey.

Tom.

Social source share

Oh yes :lol: Not for everyone I`ve been argued. Is it British production.Always wanted one but pricey.

Tom.

Yeah big fave for me, on Plexium. A local Psyche collector (Chad Whiffen) round here had one with an iffy label for fifty quid and I missed it. :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!