Jimmy Mack On Hamster

boba

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 

Orig is Olive green #4541 boot is darker green #101 but looks authentic!

Sure Boba will know that though Mark?

Good to see you on Friday mate!

Cheers

Steve

I have a spare of the boot,which has a different style of print for the label name,but agree with mark if I were to sell my original it would be more than the ebay price,quite a rare item
Social source share

Orig is Olive green #4541 boot is darker green #101 but looks authentic!

Sure Boba will know that though Mark?

Good to see you on Friday mate!

Cheers

The darker one isn't a boot. Hamster were in business in 1976 when re-pressed.

The original pressing on the lighter green label

is from 1975.

Colin Curtis originally played it at the Mecca. I met the label owner re-promoting it at the Peppermint Lounge, New York a few months later. The brief UK interest prompted the label to re-press a few hundred?

The same label I think had an interest in Gotcha's Making Love To Ya, as they gave me the first copies to bring back to the UK.

Hope this clears up the 1st and 2nd pressing for you Bob. H

Regards- KR

Social source share

is from 1975.

Colin Curtis originally played it at the Mecca. I met the label owner re-promoting it at the Peppermint Lounge, New York a few months later. The brief UK interest prompted the label to re-press a few hundred?

The same label I think had an interest in Gotcha's Making Love To Ya, as they gave me the first copies to bring back to the UK.

Regards- KR

Well that will certainly do no harm to the price of the second issue, knowing it's a legal repress :thumbsup:

JM always quotes it as booted in the same batch as Timothy Wilson, Anderson Bros, Epitome of Sound, Dave Newman etc

Bob - Yeah it was Mark I saw on Friday, sorry for the confusion!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Well that will certainly do no harm to the price of the second issue, knowing it's a legal repress :thumbsup:

JM always quotes it as booted in the same batch as Timothy Wilson, Anderson Bros, Epitome of Sound, Dave Newman etc

Bob - Yeah it was Mark I saw on Friday, sorry for the confusion!

Cheers

Steve

thats me well pleased thought mine was a repro can now start playing it with pride intact lol

Social source share

Another repro went through Ebay last week for 10 quid in the Uk

Think I sold my original last year sometime wasnt more than 50 quid!

JUst checked back it was 2010 and I sold it for 70 pounds so Bobs about right with his offer.

I paid £100 for mine 3 years ago posted a want on here and only got offered 1 original not saying you sold it too cheap but I know I would'sell mine for that price.

Mark

Social source share

The copy that sold yesterday for $85.99 was the re-press.

Here's what the original 1st press looks like. Note how the song title " A WOMAN IS HARD TO UNDERSTAND" is all on one line. On the repress it's broken down into two lines :

post-2021-0-21017100-1331576696_thumb.jp

The main clue is the label number #4541 orig and #101 second issue

Needs playing out again imho?

Social source share

is from 1975.

Regards- KR

This is such great info.

Shame there's not so much of it as there used to be.

Great info I mean.

It's all "Well I checked in the book and it said this".

You can't beat experience.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Pete.....I could write a book, but then again......better not.

Wonder whatever happened to the Yvonne Daniels pressing that Bobby Robinson and I did back in 1976?

Sold less than 100 out of 300! Junked around 200......where are they?

Why were they junked though? Only ever seen the poorish quality same both sies one and that wasn't pressed til late 77.

Social source share

Another repro went through Ebay last week for 10 quid in the Uk Think I sold my original last year sometime wasnt more than 50 quid! JUst checked back it was 2010 and I sold it for 70 pounds so Bobs about right with his offer.

Well, I guess this was me. The seller's called "dumplingbelly". Happy to hear that this issue is at least a legal repress... :thumbsup:

Social source share

so the one with the title hamster with shadow typset is that an original 2nd press and not a bootleg

It's a 2nd press some 12 months after the original issue. As stated earlier in the thread, the owner met me while promoting another track by Gotcha. I talked him into pressing 500 of which I took two thirds of the run.

The other 170-200 are probably lying unsold in the US or junked.

Good record but unfortunately no commercial appeal.

Social source share

It's a 2nd press some 12 months after the original issue. As stated earlier in the thread, the owner met me while promoting another track by Gotcha. I talked him into pressing 500 of which I took two thirds of the run.

The other 170-200 are probably lying unsold in the US or junked.

Good record but unfortunately no commercial appeal.

thanks for that

seems to be more popular than you think for the crossover guys maybe ?

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

As we know there a few different Jimmy Macks. The Jimmy Mack on Hamster is actually Jimmy McMillan, founder of "The Rent Is Too Damn High Party"

Search the net or the Tube for "Rent Is Too Damn High" there's loads on him

Quite a character :lol:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

As we know there a few different Jimmy Macks. The Jimmy Mack on Hamster is actually Jimmy McMillan, founder of "The Rent Is Too Damn High Party"

Search the net or the Tube for "Rent Is Too Damn High" there's loads on him

Quite a character :lol:

Pity we dont have more characters like him over here....Wall to wall wretches as far as i can see....... Good luck to him,he`d get my vote.

Social source share

A few years ago I went on a mission to make sure I had all those classic funkier early 70's Northern sides on Originals e.g.

Jimmy Mack on Hamster, Delreys Inc on Tampete, Prince George on DPG, Joe Hicks on AGC etc

I think they still sound great to this day and should get more chance of getting reactivation now that funkier sides are more acceptable?

Originals of these are surprisingly hard to find these days too, although after this thread i wonder if any will surface in sales?

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A few years ago I went on a mission to make sure I had all those classic funkier early 70's Northern sides on Originals e.g.

Jimmy Mack on Hamster, Delreys Inc on Tampete, Prince George on DPG, Joe Hicks on AGC etc

I think they still sound great to this day and should get more chance of getting reactivation now that funkier sides are more acceptable?

Originals of these are surprisingly hard to find these days too, although after this thread i wonder if any will surface in sales?

Cheers

Steve

got del reys inc a few years ago,still sounds as good,still love bill brandon-lorraine johnson "let me be your full time groover and a great cheapie liberty "girl you better wake up" instrumental
Social source share