Articles: Champagne Shing A Ling - Highland Records

Chalky

• Replies 7
  • Views 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Great read, still can't believe turning Kell Osbourne down in favour of Bari Track, ah well live and learn.

Can I ask, is there anywhere we can hear the 1969 version of "It's Not Where You Start It's Where You Finish"? because I don't know as I've ever heard it? Surely the orange label copies we all know and love must be some sort of remake, remix, whatever you call it of the '69 version, because the orange label one has a later 70's or early 80's disco sound that makes me think it couldn't have been made like that in the 60's, even '69 music didn't sound like that, did it ? Maybe it's the looped handclap sound and the background vocal chant (that reminds me of "Walking In Rhythm" Blackbyrds- a 1978 release I'm guessing?) that makes me think of D-I-S-C-O not late 60's sound/crossover.

If they are identical sounding these two different label colours, should we question the '69 dating, especially as the numbering system seems to be all over the place? (Sorry I know it's been covered before, but when did those huge multi-track studios become affordable to independant producers/artists ?)

btw I love it when these older articles are dug up and made available for source users. I've only got a few old fanzines left these days, but remember fondly some brilliant pieces written in them. Any more 'from the vaults' articles in the pipeline?

Social source share

Thanks guys. The '69 is a top John, '79 I think it should be off top of my head. I thought I'd changed it everywhere but obviously not. As far as I can remember the yellow and orange are the same mix aren't they? And on that subject whilst talking to Luckey Davis he said to me yellow came before the orange copies. Luckey Davis is also Mr Luckey (I Was Born To Love You) for those that don't know.

Social source share

btw I love it when these older articles are dug up and made available for source users. I've only got a few old fanzines left these days, but remember fondly some brilliant pieces written in them. Any more 'from the vaults' articles in the pipeline?

John, just spent the last few weeks moving across all the "old" blog entries to the articles feature

all unapproved for now but shortly they should start showing in article system , giving both easier highlighting and navigation to all past articles

Social source share

Thanks Chalky, only ever owned an orange one, will make it my life's mission to find a mate with a yellow one so i can play the two side by side to check ;-) ( unless somebody can furnish run out details which may prove they were struck from the same master maybe, which would be a nice easy way) Top article mate.

Thanks Mike, look forward to some good reading. My memory more than needs refreshing these days !

Social source share

Thanks guys. The '69 is a top John, '79 I think it should be off top of my head. I thought I'd changed it everywhere but obviously not. As far as I can remember the yellow and orange are the same mix aren't they? And on that subject whilst talking to Luckey Davis he said to me yellow came before the orange copies. Luckey Davis is also Mr Luckey (I Was Born To Love You) for those that don't know.

Luckey Davis is also Luckey Jamal Davis of "love is better"/"vacate" fame. And yes, it's 1979 and not 1969. I seem to remember we had that discussion when article was published first, hadn't we?

Social source share

Luckey Davis is also Luckey Jamal Davis of "love is better"/"vacate" fame. And yes, it's 1979 and not 1969. I seem to remember we had that discussion when article was published first, hadn't we?

Not on here Benji but elsewhere, it was altered on my site when pointed out and in other places but obviously not here. Luckey still recording and performing.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!