Four Tops & Temptations On Bbc Breakfast Time

Roburt

Both groups were on BBC TV this morning & came over really well (both talking & singing) ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-17364661

The Tops have a new lead singer -- Harold 'Spike' Bonhart (though Ronnie McNeir is still there).

Spike sounds as close to Levi as its possible to get !!!!

The UK tour should be good (Tavares are also on it & they were GREEEAAAATTTTT at Prestatyn).

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Spike sounds as close to Levi as its possible to get !!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Personally I didn't think so but did sound good. As you said "came over really well both talking & singing"

Don¯»¿

Edited by donkit
Social source share

ive always thought billy ocean would make a great 4 tops lead

only an opinion

kev

THATS A REFRESHING OPTION KEV.

i THOUGHT THE NEW LEAD SINGER FOR THE TOPS DID SOUND LIKE LEVI BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY NO-ONE COULD REPLACE HIM,HE WAS UNIQUE!!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

NOT TOTALLY CONVINCED ABOUT THE FRONTMAN FOR THE TEMPS THOUGH :g: :g: :g:

ROY

Social source share

Guest brummiemick

I'm going to see them in Bournemouth on the 24th March - I can't wait. it seems incredible that 40 years after seeing the original line up that I will be hearing their music live again. The memories will come flooding back!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brummiemick

Went last night to see the Four Tops, Temptations, Tavares & The Crystals down here in Bournemouth. To say I was disappointed in the Four Tops would be an understatement and I have decided that OVO is the only way in future to listen to my past heroes rather than waste money of live shows. When they kicked off with Loco in Acupulco the alarm bells starting ringing.

I am sure like me, the audience expected to hear a set of old Tops favourites but at least 4/5 of the songs were not theirs. Duke Fakir took us through a "tribute" section to the past members that was embarrassing IMHO. In honour of Obie Benson they sang "What's Going On", Roquel Payton then called his brother on stage and they did a duet a song about their Father, Ronnie McNeir then did something about Brothers and the Duke did a version of My Way called "Our Way". After wasting probably 15 minutes on this section they did return to some of the old favourites but by then they had lost the crowd. (note: I know Obie Benson co-wrote What's Going On)

The Temps followed headlining the show and were better value for money but I was so disappointed in the Four Tops set that I left before their finale. I didn't expect the Four Tops to be anywhere near as good as the originals but I did expect to hear them sing all their own stuff - its not like there wasnt enough!

For what's it's worth never my favourites but Tavares (on second) stole the show and were the only act to get the crowd really going.

One interesting point was that Earl van Dyke Junior was introduced on keyboards and conducting the brass section; he was a mountain of a man who was at least 35 stone!

Edited by brummiemick
Social source share

Went last night to see the Four Tops, Temptations, Tavares & The Crystals down here in Bournemouth. To say I was disappointed in the Four Tops would be an understatement and I have decided that OVO is the only way in future to listen to my past heroes rather than waste money of live shows. When they kicked off with Loco in Acupulco the alarm bells starting ringing.

I am sure like me, the audience expected to hear a set of old Tops favourites but at least 4/5 of the songs were not theirs. Duke Fakir took us through a "tribute" section to the past members that was embarrassing IMHO. In honour of Obie Benson they sang "What's Going On", Roquel Payton then called his brother on stage and they did a duet a song about their Father, Ronnie McNeir then did something about Brothers and the Duke did a version of My Way called "Our Way". After wasting probably 15 minutes on this section they did return to some of the old favourites but by then they had lost the crowd. (note: I know Obie Benson co-wrote What's Going On)

The Temps followed headlining the show and were better value for money but I was so disappointed in the Four Tops set that I left before their finale. I didn't expect the Four Tops to be anywhere near as good as the originals but I did expect to hear them sing all their own stuff - its not like there wasnt enough!

For what's it's worth never my favourites but Tavares (on second) stole the show and were the only act to get the crowd really going.

One interesting point was that Earl van Dyke Junior was introduced on keyboards and conducting the brass section; he was a mountain of a man who was at least 35 stone!

Fully agree Mick, we went to MEN show on Friday, slightly different running order, 4 Tops closed the show. Like you I was very disappointed with their set, surely they must realise that we're there to hear the songs that made us like them in the first place (My Way ffs).

Thought the rest of the show was really good though and agree with your comments about Tavares, great performance.

TBH I got bored with the Tops and left before they finished, as did a lot of others. Such a shame.

Social source share

If you get into BBC's iplayer, go to Hardtalk and there's an interview with Otis Williams which is quite enlightening. I think they say there's been 23 members of the Tempts and he comments on the likes of Dennis Edwards touring in groups as the "Temptations".

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert