Jesse Fisher "honey" Sojamm

back to roots!

Billy Kennedy "sweet things" Thelma

Danny Woods "you had me fooled" Correctone

Emanuel Laskey "i'm a peace loving man"

Thelma Tony Middleton "paris blues" Mala

The Spidells "pushed out of the picture" Coral

Gene McDaniels "walk with a winner" Liberty

As in the tradition of the Stute plays from day one, this is what i played.... catering for the ones that like a little 70's 80' & modern soul.

This was my last set at the Stute thanks for all that have danced or just listened to the spots i've played & especially the ones with open minds & showing their appreciation you know who you all are, like yourselves I for one will never stand still regarding soul tracks. I hope the Stute goes from strength to strength but tracking 110 miles in total to set up then back for the nights entertainment just to put up with verbal shit is not something im prepared to carry on doing any longer.

Mick & Spanner i'll talk to you soon guys, along with Rob & John keep up the fantastic work at this great little club.

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Detroit at it's very very finest, fookin toooooones !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing set mate, love the seventies and the soulfull house stuff,

Marc Evans "this thing called love (7" edit) TSOD TUNE

If that ain't an eclectic mix of quality I don't know what is

All the best

dekka :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest mrstosspot

Steve

Just thought I'd share myfeelings .... since meeting Rob and spending the majority of our leisure time involved in and around the Northern Soul scene I have had to accept that there are always going to be tunes played that are not to my taste or indeed relished by others in the room, thats just how it is ... the only way around this is to just not go, select either your own music collection be it on vinyl or CD, or plough through u tube with your own personal choices. But if this is the route you go down just think about all the fun and frivolities my other half provides that you'll surely miss !!!

I once expressed a personal feeling about some of the "mans soul" as I call it .... not to my taste at all and oh dear what a response I got!!! I just smiled and said each to his own and moved on :P

( Even Rob and I clash over some of the s*** he spins lol)

You know that we both tease you at times with regard to some of your modern spins but you know we are messing :yes:

I certainly enjoyed some of your spot last night and showed my appreciation on the dance floor, I'm a bit of a trainee to the more modern stuff as to me it still firmly sits in its own space, however you did have a decent dance floor reaction to many of your spins so dont beat yourself up!

If you wanna disco dance then thats what you do, no worries, the Worlds a big venue, stay calm and carry on souling :wave:

Mrs Tosspot ( Lynn) xxx

Social source share

Steve m8 its a soul club has u say but you dont have to get abuse 4 what u play, some i liked some i didnt ,but u dont need abuse ,we all put alot of work in ,i no i dont do the travelling like u and mick setting up sat dinner ,you wont changed people who like stompers m8 ,be a shame if u do pack in ,i love your early spots sat on the door listening to new tunes ,so have a rethink m8

take care span :g::wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi folks

Some nice tunes Stevie boy, now here's my selection

The Embers First time jcp

The sharpetes Lost in a world of a dream sound city

Phil Terrell Love has passed me by carnival

Mickey Lanay I'm gonna walk vulcan

Le garnd melon baby please dont go columbia

Little kenneth you can go on home carl

The royal esquiries aint gonna run prix

Towanda Barnes you dont mean it a&m

Elbie Parker please keep away from me veep

Youngblood smith you can split verve

The Deletts look at me blue rock

Imaginations strange neighbourhood fraternity

Chryslers with the monarchs band i'm not gonna lose you je jody

Main change sunshine is her way nebula

Bob n Fred I'll be on my way big mack ( for Lynn)

Shirley Edwards Dream my heart Shrine ( special request for Lynn)

Anita Humes what did i do roulette

Gerri Grainger i go to pieces bell ( for Steve Towers - birthday boy)

Four tracks like my love for you mandingo

Freddie Houston if i had known old town

Enchantments i'm in love with your daughter faro ( for all mums on mothers day)

Roy Roberts got to have your love ninandy

Billy Davis stanky get funky cobblestone

Hope you enjoyed what i played, & thanks to the dance floor reaction to some/most of them :wink:

Thanks to the Stute crew for letting me spin at this great soul club + well done to all the other dj's who kept the night alive with a good mix of brill tunes :yes:

ATB...Rob :facepalm: (oh my head, damn the guiness with brandy chasers) :dash2:

Bugger it's mon. & i've gotta go work (but at least it pays for some new vinyl) lol, ps, hope the missus don't read this :wicked:

Edited by tosspot
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Detroit at it's very very finest, fookin toooooones !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing set mate, love the seventies and the soulfull house stuff,

Marc Evans "this thing called love (7" edit) TSOD TUNE

If that ain't an eclectic mix of quality I don't know what is

All the best

dekka :thumbsup:

Dekka for me the best of Detroit 60's soul is the finest sound you'll ever have the pleasure of listening & dancing to imo.

But i've never been one to be trapped in a 60's time warp when it comes down to buying, listening & playing soul & i never will.

As you know i love to dance to your sets & often tell you how good a certain track is ie:- O V Wright at the last Deincourt, play that at the Stute, see what reaction you would get from some! all because it's not been played out a million times by every DJ in the country, no matter how good it is & boy it's good.

Dekka it's just not cricket! :wink: Have a great time away & take care you two, see you soon buddy.

Steve J

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Thanks for list Steve, and thanks for contributing to a great night (sorry to hear you got verbals)

Nice to meet you last night & i'm happy you found the night enjoyable, You'll have to get down to the Right Direction weekend at the Gate Hangs Well in June :thumbsup:

Steve J

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Steve

Just thought I'd share myfeelings .... since meeting Rob and spending the majority of our leisure time involved in and around the Northern Soul scene I have had to accept that there are always going to be tunes played that are not to my taste or indeed relished by others in the room, thats just how it is ... the only way around this is to just not go, select either your own music collection be it on vinyl or CD, or plough through u tube with your own personal choices. But if this is the route you go down just think about all the fun and frivolities my other half provides that you'll surely miss !!!

I once expressed a personal feeling about some of the "mans soul" as I call it .... not to my taste at all and oh dear what a response I got!!! I just smiled and said each to his own and moved on :P

( Even Rob and I clash over some of the s*** he spins lol)

You know that we both tease you at times with regard to some of your modern spins but you know we are messing :yes:

I certainly enjoyed some of your spot last night and showed my appreciation on the dance floor, I'm a bit of a trainee to the more modern stuff as to me it still firmly sits in its own space, however you did have a decent dance floor reaction to many of your spins so dont beat yourself up!

If you wanna disco dance then thats what you do, no worries, the Worlds a big venue, stay calm and carry on souling :wave:

Mrs Tosspot ( Lynn) xxx

Lynn i would hate Rob if he stopped having his banter with me!

Now Rob at the Cracker i told you i was buying Honey Jesse Fisher & in your words "im after the other Jesse Fisher "not loving a beginner" so i played it for you last night :huh: them chasers are not good for you mate :D

See you soon Buddy :thumbsup:

Social source share

Jesse Fisher "your not loving a beginner" Way Out

Marc Evans "this thing called love (7" edit) TSOD

WestCoast Soulstars "show me love" (basement mix) WCM

Moments "rain in my back yard" Stang

Ernie Johnson "big man cry" Steph & Lee

Enchantment "call on me" Jamaican Polydor

Charles Johnson "never had a love so good" Alston

Cheryl Bardell "giving it all to you" EM.T

Larry Houston "let's spend some time together" HFMP

Alfie Davison "love is serious business" Mercury

Bits'n Pieces "keep on running away" Nasco

George Clinton "please don't run from me" ABC

Magic Night "if you & i had never met" Roulette

Fantastic Puzzles "come back" (part 2) Right On

Jesse Fisher "honey" Sojamm

back to roots!

Thelma Tony Middleton "paris blues" Mala

The Spidells "pushed out of the picture" Coral

Gene McDaniels "walk with a winner" Liberty

As in the tradition of the Stute plays from day one, this is what i played.... catering for the ones that like a little 70's 80' & modern soul.

This was my last set at the Stute thanks for all that have danced or just listened to the spots i've played & especially the ones with open minds & showing their appreciation you know who you all are, like yourselves I for one will never stand still regarding soul tracks. I hope the Stute goes from strength to strength but tracking 110 miles in total to set up then back for the nights entertainment just to put up with verbal shit is not something im prepared to carry on doing any longer.

Mick & Spanner i'll talk to you soon guys, along with Rob & John keep up the fantastic work at this great little club.

Steve J

Steve, As a Across the board kinda bird, The night last night kept me quite happy and was always looking forward to the last hour especially for something new to my ears and thats what i got thanx .......and as some certain person said to me outside last night Quote " the last hour is Sh*te hate that disco stuff " :lol: i Kindly told him instead of gobbing off if he didn`t like it he should get his coat on and F**k off home :wicked: You can never please every one matey :huh: there was quite a bit i din`t like last night but i never gobbed off i just either go for a widdle or go have a fag :thumbsup: SIMPLES...........do what you have to mate you know I`ll come listen to you playing where ever you decide to venture next .........keep on keeping on :thumbsup:

Julie xx

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Steve m8 its a soul club has u say but you dont have to get abuse 4 what u play, some i liked some i didnt ,but u dont need abuse ,we all put alot of work in ,i no i dont do the travelling like u and mick setting up sat dinner ,you wont changed people who like stompers m8 ,be a shame if u do pack in ,i love your early spots sat on the door listening to new tunes ,so have a rethink m8

take care span :g::wink:

Span i have bitten my tongue for the second time last night I'm not going to give it chance to happen again mate.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Hi folks

Some nice tunes Stevie boy, now here's my selection

The Embers First time jcp

The sharpetes Lost in a world of a dream sound city

Phil Terrell Love has passed me by carnival

Mickey Lanay I'm gonna walk vulcan

Le garnd melon baby please dont go columbia

Little kenneth you can go on home carl

The royal esquiries aint gonna run prix

Towanda Barnes you dont mean it a&m

Elbie Parker please keep away from me veep

Youngblood smith you can split verve

The Deletts look at me blue rock

Imaginations strange neighbourhood fraternity

Chryslers with the monarchs band i'm not gonna lose you je jody

Main change sunshine is her way nebula

Bob n Fred I'll be on my way big mack ( for Lynn)

Shirley Edwards Dream my heart Shrine ( special request for Lynn)

Anita Humes what did i do roulette

Gerri Grainger i go to pieces bell ( for Steve Towers - birthday boy)

Four tracks like my love for you mandingo

Freddie Houston if i had known old town

Enchantments i'm in love with your daughter faro ( for all mums on mothers day)

Roy Roberts got to have your love ninandy

Billy Davis stanky get funky cobblestone

Hope you enjoyed what i played, & thanks to the dance floor reaction to some/most of them :wink:

Thanks to the Stute crew for letting me spin at this great soul club + well done to all the other dj's who kept the night alive with a good mix of brill tunes :yes:

ATB...Rob :facepalm: (oh my head, damn the guiness with brandy chasers) :dash2:

Phil Terrell very nice Rob, Deletts at last how many times have i asked you to play this out! now start digging into the rest of your fantastic Blue Rock collection & blow this place apart mate :yes:

Great set Rob but i expect nothing less for you.

Steve J

Social source share

Phil Terrell very nice Rob, Deletts at last how many times have i asked you to play this out! now start digging into the rest of your fantastic Blue Rock collection & blow this place apart mate :yes:

Great set Rob but i expect nothing less for you.

Steve J

Cheers Stevie me ole mucker, & you did the stute proud too, that Charles Johnson track is fab. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest mrstosspot

looking for sympathy now Rob?

Noooooo Paul i never do, as big daddy rogers sang i'm a big man :pirate: .......oops i'm on my mrs's site :facepalm:

ATB & hope to see you soon....Rob

Edited by mrstosspot
Social source share

Steve you are one hell of a nice guy, i always liked to listen to your early sets at the stute and would hate to see you go mate, we are all in a learning curb and some what you play are great, even though i love the early soul, it would be a shame to let some small minded people win and get you to finish, you have opened my eyes to some of the modern stuff mate please keep it up and hope to see you soon.

Andy + Bez

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

The strange thing about this debate is that from what I can see in SJ set, they were all oldies (except possibly WC Soul Stars) , even the Marc Evans....???, nice set tho all the same, just slightly puzzled.

Best Russ

Russ , exactly mate ..

Except these are modern soul to some .... The mind boggles. This is the same conversation i had with Kev Thomas on the way home it was laughable except for the foul language that was spat into my face while i was DJin.

Steve J

Social source share

Russ , exactly mate ..

Except these are modern soul to some .... The mind boggles. This is the same conversation i had with Kev Thomas on the way home it was laughable except for the foul language that was spat into my face while i was DJin.

Steve J

Agree with you mate, we all counld'nt be present at the Inaugural play of all the records you played, and if we did we may well be tired of them, but what you played (looking at your list as I had to leave before you finished) the set was adventurous (slipping George Clinton in there - not heard that in years). Thoroughly enjoyed what I heard, well done mate.

Regards

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

It was funny Bob as George Clinton was the only one that nobody danced to! quote from Julie Moor to bloody fast for me! haha, Thanks for the show of suport mate, it was nice to see you out & about buddy.

Social source share

It was funny Bob as George Clinton was the only one that nobody danced to! quote from Julie Moor to bloody fast for me! haha, Thanks for the show of suport mate, it was nice to see you out & about buddy.

Steve, as i`m in the nifty fifty club now, George Clinton would probably give me a heartattack mate :yes: but i can still tap my feet to it :thumbup: great record :thumbsup:

You always have my support as do many many other open minded dj`s

See you soon Buddy

Julie x

P.s get my name right :lol: MOORE

Edited by Julie Moore
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest mrstosspot

On a lighter note I'd just like to say a really BIG THANK YOU to my hubby for playing 2 of the bestest sounds imo, Bob & Fred and Shirley Edwards....just wonderful Mr Tosspot :wub:

PS They say if you live with someone long enough you become the same ... oh dear me haha :dash2:

see you all next month Lynn ( Mrs Tosspot) :wave:

Social source share

For a club that advertises itself as 'Across the Board Soul & Motown'

I for one fail to see why anyone could take issue with what Steve played on the night.

Across the board incorporates 60 years of Soul music surely, bizarre !!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

PS They say if you live with someone long enough you become the same ... oh dear me haha :dash2:

i cant wait to see you lashed up on guiness lololololol

Social source share

i spoke to steve last night......i know where hes coming from...across the board nights get across the board tunes...some you like some you dont

atb moldie

Social source share

Thing is, if you care you sweat blood over these sets, Steve had obviously put a lot of thought into his set & then by all accounts was verbally abused, he must be gutted, I know I would have been - I know it takes a thick skin to do this sh*t, but really.........

Russ

hi russ

steve usually does the early spot at the stute but i know he puts as much care into his early spot as he does to any spot he does

didnt deserve the abuse he got

atb moldie

Social source share

Like i said in my earlier post, if you don`t like whats being played for that 1HOUR that dj`s are on go do something else its only 1 HOUR ffs out a perfectly pleasant evening.By god ive sat through some Sh**te many an evening at some events iv`e been to over 35yrs.

Julie x

Edited by Julie Moore
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

best bit of the night that early spot, loads of room on the dancefloor, first pint of the night, and something new to my ears.

come on Steve, your the man.

Social source share

Guest Alfa166

I have really enjoyed your sets Steve on my visits to the Stute and regularly play records at home that I have learnt from listening to your playlist. I don't like everything you play, for example Marc Evans would be too much of a stretch for me, but you certainly have the right to play what you think is appropriate without getting verbally abused, especially when its just the odd Modern amongst an otherwise superb set.

I am sure there are regrets on all sides how this has turned out and I for one hope you keep on keeping on at the Stute in the knowledge that on the whole your sets are appreciated.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Steve ,

firstly mate there was nothing in your spot that we have not heard out in the last few yeas , so you were hardly experimenting with obscure indie soul or house music ect you were simply playing records that wern't sixties oldies.You've been a loyal and very trusted mate to me over the years and I'm asking you please from the bottom of my heart that you may reconsider your desision no one will think any less if you do and I'll tell you something now you are one of the cog's in the mechanism of the Stute

and it won't be the same without you mate .What was said to you and by who ? let's have them on to do an hour and see what happens when they face a couple of day's agonising about what there going to play and then getting behind the deck's looking out across the floor as it empties .It's not easy djing , I remember djing at Ilkeston once and I played Gwen Owens and Robbie Lawson then slipped in Tamala Lewis a well known guy let's just call him Mr.Ross came up to me and said "when are you going to start playing some oldies that we know instead of all this new crap,we're sick of your arogance forcing this down our neck's dictating to what we should listen to" well I'm not being funny about this but where the f**k had he been all those years .Your bound to get a reaction whatever you play I got booed for playing The royal esquires ten years ago told to get off for playing "something 'bout my baby " and heckled for playing the Ravins now look they fill the floor .Don't you give up mate you do your spot next month and walk across that dance floor with your head up high remember you were the first person to play records like zu zu man

I'd also like to mention that the bar takings would also suffer .So you be there next month and you play your tunes .Best Regards mate .Simon.

Social source share

Kinnel i was there djing and not 1 person has thank me or what a great spot i played W***ERS :wicked::hatsoff2:

who are yer...who are yer lolololol

atb moldie

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Kinnel i was there djing and not 1 person has thank me or what a great spot i played W***ERS :wicked::hatsoff2:

Hi Spanner I didn't realise you were on last saturday mate were you on before we turned up mate ? LOL you did your usual great spot mate at least you played the right side's this week !!!!! regards Dexy's

Social source share

really enjoyed our 1st visit to soul at the stute, would not hesitate to go back again,all t he dj's played good sets and i dont understand steve being berated for the soul music he chose to spin i thought it was a venue that accepted music from all eras.

maybe the neil sedaka record was pushing the atb boundaries to the limits lol!!!......... anyway had a great nite many thanks .

see you soon steve ........ diddy and sonia

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Man o man ain't heard it here - - -the royal robins, ain't heard it here - - - exec. 4, gotta good thing going, ain't heard that here, so come on guys & gals, lighten up across the board surely means it suits all of the people some the time BUT not ALL of the people ALL of the time, different strokes for different folks, so bloody lighten up

ATB....grays eulogy in a graveyard

• Helpful 3
Social source share