Fabulous Playboys - Honkey Tonk Woman (Versions)

Listening to Honkey Tonk Woman on YouTube, I came across one version that seemed slightly different to the rest. The uploader tells me that this take is featured on a Goldmine CD - Thelma's Detroit Collective.

It's not just the sound quality, but there are differences in the arrangement. For example, where the 45 has a bit of sax, the CD version doesn't. The vocals also sound different.

Anyone know about the origins of this other version: did it come from the archives, was it a released version on a different label, or is it a 'digitally remastered' version that was tinkered around with as well?

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

There are two different versions on 45 - one slower than the other - unfortunately it's a case of having to listen to the 45 to make sure you have the 'right' one.

Do I understand that correctly - two versions on the same label & release number? If so, that's confusing! How slow is the other take & any background on how/why this came about?

Social source share

There are two different versions on 45 - one slower than the other - unfortunately it's a case of having to listen to the 45 to make sure you have the 'right' one.

anyone here have both 45s and can describe what's in the deadwax of each one?

Social source share

Mine just has AP-760A etched, and "Sheldon" stamped into the wax. I assume this is the common pressing. My copy of "Forget The Past"/"Nervous" by The Fabulous Playboys on Apollo 758-1-A also adds the date: 6-61, and an insignia stamped into the trail (in addition to the Sheldon stamp) it looks like a sideways lowercase "m". with an uppercase "T" superimposed over it. The -1 after the record number indicates the version or take number. If I remember correctly, the other pressing of "Honky Tonk Woman" also has a "take or version number" (either -1 or -2). I can't remember which. I hope someone else here will have that issue.

The original Daco Records (1001) issue has the Sheldon stamp, and S-1305.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!