Magnetics On Manship Auction

SteveM

• Replies 64
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Danny Moore is the flip on the Magnetics boot is it not?

Yes, it is on a white label (? very pale blue) pressing done in the early 90's, might have come out of Mansfield way whistling.gif

Danny Moore and the Magnetics were booted in the US around the same time. Top quality boots, but on vinyl, not styrene, like the originals. A few years later Tim A turned up copies of the DM, and so there's no reason the Magnetics should not turn up in such high quantities now

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

so there's no reason the Magnetics should not turn up in such high quantities now

But that goes for every record ever made unless the fate of all copies made is known. Mind you, it would be quite nice, I'd quite happily accept the devaluation of my collection if I could have all the other records I like. :lol:thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Yes, it is on a white label (? very pale blue) pressing done in the early 90's, might have come out of Mansfield way thumbsup.gif

Danny Moore and the Magnetics were booted in the US around the same time. Top quality boots, but on vinyl, not styrene, like the originals.

:lol:

Social source share

sorry to go slightly off topic but i bought about 20 Danny Moore's to sell on. i remember showing one to kenny burrell and he said they weren't the same as the one he had. i think he paid about a grand for his years ago. i know people who paid 400 quid later before the big find. i sold mine for about 70 quid a piece.

i thought it was dave withers who found them anyway not Tim A?

shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

sorry to go slightly off topic but i bought about 20 Danny Moore's to sell on. i remember showing one to kenny burrell and he said they weren't the same as the one he had. i think he paid about a grand for his years ago. i know people who paid 400 quid later before the big find. i sold mine for about 70 quid a piece.

shane

As I recall Nick Brown has a demo, the copy that Pat Brady used to have I think (?). Seen one demo on ebay as well. Compared them side by side, demo and the copies from the big find, couldn't see an obvious difference, I think some people were hoping that they would turn out to be pressings.

Agree regards actions of some people when quantities have turned up, some very dishonest people out there. Some argue that its fair game but if someone says I'll swap you this for that because this is dead rare and yet they know that there are a load of them around they are ripping someone off and lying. Its not right to say the other person can't complain just because he or she doesn't know.

Someone tried to stiff me with a Dream Team, luckily I wasn't interested, he wanted £2,000 blush.gif and claimed he'd had it and another mint copy since the 70s! Possibly true but I wouldn't have been surprised if rat droppings fell out of the sleeve. Never seen the bloke again since. I still paid too much for one later on though. whistling.gif

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

As I recall Nick Brown has a demo, the copy that Pat Brady used to have I think (?). Seen one demo on ebay as well. Compared them side by side, demo and the copies from the big find, couldn't see an obvious difference, I think some people were hoping that they would turn out to be pressings.

Stu, the copy that Nick had was, I believe, Pat's, but went to Keb Darge who I think sold it to Nick. Before it went to Nick (not sure when exactly), the record developed a nasty cue-burn at the intro, and it is this copy that became distinctive with Keb's spot around 1985-1986. Those who have a Keb tape from around that time will more likely notice the cue-burn on Danny Moore!

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33

Is it compulsory on these pages everytime a rare record appears somewhere it's gotta be in quanity?How about the 3 Al Williams on La Beat JM auction THIS YEAR must be loads of them....is there?? Think about it there's only been Royal Esquires, Danny Moore, Dream Team that has seriously been destroyed in value. Not bad considering the 50,000+ different collectable soul 45s. It seems to me that some of you delight looking on the dark side.. 3 outa 50,000 seems good odds to me..

Social source share

Is it compulsory on these pages everytime a rare record appears somewhere it's gotta be in quanity?How about the 3 Al Williams on La Beat JM auction THIS YEAR must be loads of them....is there?? Think about it there's only been Royal Esquires, Danny Moore, Dream Team that has seriously been destroyed in value. Not bad considering the 50,000+ different collectable soul 45s. It seems to me that some of you delight looking on the dark side.. 3 outa 50,000 seems good odds to me..

I partly agree with you which i never thought i would, but i dont think you should be allowed on this site unless you tell us who you are whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Everyone knows theres loads of the Al Williams been found whistling.gif

Social source share

Agree regards actions of some people when quantities have turned up, some very dishonest people out there. Some argue that its fair game but if someone says I'll swap you this for that because this is dead rare and yet they know that there are a load of them around they are ripping someone off and lying. Its not right to say the other person can't complain just because he or she doesn't know.

Someone tried to stiff me with a Dream Team, luckily I wasn't interested, he wanted £2,000 :lol: and claimed he'd had it and another mint copy since the 70s! Possibly true but I wouldn't have been surprised if rat droppings fell out of the sleeve. Never seen the bloke again since. I still paid too much for one later on though. whistling.gif

blush.gif I received a "Ream"team from Rob Thomas on one of my UK visits for 2 M- Rubys on Gold Token; THANKS ROB!! :D

Social source share

I would think this is a case where the Magnetics on ebay made so much money that every collector out there with one has thought about selling it. I would lay odds on that's what has happened in this case.

These types of records are out there in collections. About 2 years ago i was round a 'quiet' collectors place, who doesn't d.j., normal every day kind of job. I was blown away when i saw a few of the records in this persons collection, there was a 'Lady in green' there. So you imagine the temptation to sell, when you've just seen one make $8000.

In the case of the Danny Moore, i got a 'demo' from long before they showed up, the vinyl's the same as the quantity ones, they're real.

Social source share

Ripping people off seems to be part and parcel of the record buying and selling scene, it is what some dealers fortunes are based on. Many dealers tried to rip people off everytime a record turned up, The Royal Esquires, Frederick Hymes, The Dream Team, Danny Moore, the various titles that turned up in quantity via the west coast find, etc, etc. In most, if not all, of these cases I am sure the dealers knew very well it had turned up but still tried to squeeze every last penny out of the less informed collectors. This behaviour is standard procedure I'm afraid. There is sometimes a fine line between the legitimate advantage of information that all businessmen must have, and deliberate fraud.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Think about it there's only been Royal Esquires, Danny Moore, Dream Team that has seriously been destroyed in value.

how much for a royal esquires nowadays ?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

There is sometimes a fine line between the legitimate advantage of information that all businessmen must have, and deliberate fraud.

Too right, and a very wide and clear line between (i) saying to someone "this is a real rarety worth blah blah blah" when the dealer knows that he has ten more and so has someone else; and (ii) honesty. If someone sold you a very rare piece of porcelain or art and told you it was rare but in fact had a quantity of the same piece in his warehouse he'd be culpable for fraud, as he has misrepresented facts to his own advantage for financial gain. No different with records.

At least with the Royal Esquires people knew there was a quantity and some paid a bit more to get copies first (not knowing how big the quantity was). I think the rate was $400 at first.

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

When The Royal Esquires first turned up I saw it appear on at least 4 different UK dealers lists for £900, £800 and £1000, in the scope of 2 days or so! This carried on for a while with yet more dealers, before it became too obvious and it collapsed. I wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple of people were stung.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

When The Royal Esquires first turned up I saw it appear on at least 4 different UK dealers lists for £900, £800 and £1000, in the scope of 2 days, and this carried on for a while too before it became too obvious and it collapsed. I wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple of people were stung.

I bet it was more than a few and the dealers 100% knew they were doing it.

how about the Montclairs on Arch there seems to be a few of them knocking about

Social source share

I bet it was more than a few and the dealers 100% knew they were doing it.

The Montclairs is definitely not super rare, but demand swallowed all the 75 copies or so that was turned up a few years back, and now it seems to have gone back up to around the same price it was before. If a record is popular and established, the value might survive a box or two of copies. Many former super rarities didn't have too much going for them though, apart from rarity, and when they turned up the value dropped sharply. It is very true that if certain rarities were common no one would bother to play them, since they lack musical merit. One weak record that still sells for a lot though, despite obviously being around in at least small quantity is Court Davis.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

When The Royal Esquires first turned up I saw it appear on at least 4 different UK dealers lists for £900, £800 and £1000, in the scope of 2 days or so! This carried on for a while with yet more dealers, before it became too obvious and it collapsed. I wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple of people were stung.

You could get them direct from the US for $400 dollars at the time, in fact before they even turned up in the UK, thats where mine came from, in hindsight I could have waited and saved money but the quantity available wasn't clear (should have been!). I suspect that the dealers were paying the same price, in fact I think you could have had a couple of copies for $600. biggrin.gif I thought that had become generally known and that nobody was taken in? :lol:

A number turned up on ebay a while back including one with the lyric sheet (think that was the last one from thatsource) but it was in nowhere near the same sort of quantity and I don't recall there being any dodgy shenanigans around those. I don't recall that there have been further copies in any number during the last 2 years but Christian can probably put me right on that. smile.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The Montclairs is definitely not super rare, but demand swallowed all the 75 copies or so that was turned up a few years back,

Was it really that many? Have to admit tha once I've bought a record I never keep up to date on the price or availability, I don't really care as its the tune (on original vinyl of course) that I'm after, not the potential equity yield!

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

You could get them direct from the US for $400 dollars at the time, in fact before they even turned up in the UK, thats where mine came from, in hindsight I could have waited and saved money but the quantity available wasn't clear (should have been!). I suspect that the dealers were paying the same price, in fact I think you could have had a couple of copies for $600. :lol: I thought that had become generally known and that nobody was taken in? shhh.gif

A number turned up on ebay a while back including one with the lyric sheet (think that was the last one from thatsource) but it was in nowhere near the same sort of quantity and I don't recall there being any dodgy shenanigans around those. I don't recall that there have been further copies in any number during the last 2 years but Christian can probably put me right on that. :D

There have been a few on Ebay over the last 2 months

First time i heard it was when Dave Wharton from Burntwood had it on his selling up list for offers, Tony Parker from Rushen got it for £15 that was in 1990 smile.gif

Didnt make it clear i was talking about the Montclairs in that last post

Social source share

Was it really that many? Have to admit tha once I've bought a record I never keep up to date on the price or availability, I don't really care as its the tune (on original vinyl of course) that I'm after, not the potential equity yield!

I can't know this for sure, since it was obviously not me who made the quantity find, but that is a figure I have been quoted by persons with insight in the affair. This well known find was more than 3 years ago though. How time flies when you waste it. biggrin.gif Copies still keep turning up from the US every now and then though, it was something of a local hit and reportedly sold at least a few thousand copies, maybe more, upon release.

Social source share

A number turned up on ebay a while back including one with the lyric sheet (think that was the last one from thatsource) but it was in nowhere near the same sort of quantity and I don't recall there being any dodgy shenanigans around those. I don't recall that there have been further copies in any number during the last 2 years but Christian can probably put me right on that. biggrin.gif

I am not aware of any additional larger quantity turning up in the last 2 years, the find I am on about was longer ago, they were literally everywhere during a period though.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I am not aware of any additional larger quantity turning up in the last 2 years, the find I am on about was longer ago, they were literally everywhere during a period though.

About four/five years ago I was thinking of (re Montclairs)? There were a fair few but I don't recall them turning up through UK dealers at the time in the same way Royal Esquires were on every list. Could be wrong, it happens occasionally biggrin.gif Hadn't thought there were 75. I remember Rob Thomas being miserable smile.gif about them turning up when I played a copy. Only time he ever spoke to me. :lol:

Social source share

The seller on e-bay of Lady in green offered another copy to

my mate who was one of the unsuccessful high bidders he told me two weeks ago

i think he accepted it !!! Wont name him but he,s very well known on the

rare 45 collectin scene smile.gif

In other words, at least a small quantity has definitely turned up. Fantastic record though and since I don't have it I kinda hope it has turned up, so I can get one too. biggrin.gif

Social source share

shane

Dave Withers did find a boat load, he had a 1 or 2 in his sales box last weekend at £50 a piece. biggrin.gif

D

Social source share

Might've missed it if it's already been on this thread but there's a whole lot of Clara Hardy's about at the moment. Offered a US dealer $700 for a mint one last week and was told that he would need $1,000 each for them to clear a small profit.

But how many are out there at the moment.................Needless to say I'm waiting to see if there are loads and the price drops !!!!

Social source share

The Montclairs is definitely not super rare, but demand swallowed all the 75 copies or so that was turned up a few years back, and now it seems to have gone back up to around the same price it was before. If a record is popular and established, the value might survive a box or two of copies. Many former super rarities didn't have too much going for them though, apart from rarity, and when they turned up the value dropped sharply. It is very true that if certain rarities were common no one would bother to play them, since they lack musical merit. One weak record that still sells for a lot though, despite obviously being around in at least small quantity is Court Davis.

====

court davis - weak??

you must be in a minority if u think this record is weak(i may be wrong)

absolute class 45 imo

Social source share

====

court davis - weak??

you must be in a minority if u think this record is weak(i may be wrong)

absolute class 45 imo

I know many like it, but some people, like myself, don't. I guess I should have said weak in my opinion. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Might've missed it if it's already been on this thread but there's a whole lot of Clara Hardy's about at the moment. Offered a US dealer $700 for a mint one last week and was told that he would need $1,000 each for them to clear a small profit.

But how many are out there at the moment.................Needless to say I'm waiting to see if there are loads and the price drops !!!!

Seeing that there were at least four different sellers on ebay I wouldn`t be too surprised if it is at least a 25 to 50 count box kinda deal...

Marc

rare 45 collectin scene biggrin.gif

Adding this to JM`s copy it speaks for itself...thanks for informing Pete smile.gif

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33
I partly agree with you which i never thought i would, but i dont think you should be allowed on this site unless you tell us who you are biggrin.gif
Sounds like a chat up line to me
Social source share

I saw a Danny Moore yellow demo in a box the other week and assumed it was a boot. Were the boots yellow demos?

Exactly the same as the yellow issue, but on vinyl, not styrene like the originals are.

Originals have their ZTSC number stamped in to the run-out.

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Sounds like a chat up line to me

Hey-up Johnny boy.you ain't gonna keep da lid on dat there Magnetics for yer matey in the US of A, boyo!! Its a hottie to plays wif even fer u, The nos r big and its a long way down!! :D

Its out, and der is a few more floatin free!!! :D Yer really oughta pullit while da goings good me ol mate!!!

luv and xxx :D No Chat-up here by da way unsure.gif

Social source share

Hey-up Johnny boy.you ain't gonna keep da lid on dat there Magnetics for yer matey in the US of A, boyo!! Its a hottie to plays wif even fer u, The nos r big and its a long way down!! :D

Its out, and der is a few more floatin free!!! :D Yer really oughta pullit while da goings good me ol mate!!!

luv and xxx :( No Chat-up here by da way :D

Has anyone got an enigma machine that I could borrow please. unsure.gif

Social source share

on the subject of these magnetics, then:

so far -

one on ebay, with a second copy offered to second-highest bidder = 2 copies

one on manship

one offered on here by andy killick (donkey). i pm-d andy as soon as this came up and asked about it; couple of days later he came back and said he'd had TWO copies and sold them both.

thus, there have been FIVE copies sold in the last couple of weeks, all in extremely good nick

Social source share

rare 45 collectin scene :unsure:

:thumbsup:

I'm the ebay seller of the Magnetics 'Lady in Green' 45 & this is the first I've heard of having another copy :P

I dunno where mr manship got his auction copy, but it wasn't from me( might it be the one recently offered set sale?? hmm...)

the single copy of the mags was in a detroit-area basement with a bunch of 60's dj promo 45s of all stripes, incl thelma, wheelsville etc etc & some metal acetates of chuck jackson, eddie & ernie etc.

however... I did get a second copy of joe matthews 'she's my beauty queen' on thelma - it'll be hitting ebay shortly blush.gif

best,

btb

Edited by mister_nemo
Social source share

Mr Nemo

Mr "no name", quite enjoyed Bleak House myself recently.

I'm the ebay seller of the Magnetics 'Lady in Green' 45 & this is the first I've heard of having another copy :thumbsup:

How is detroit? Well that where you said you're from in the original ebay auction

I dunno where Ovenchip got his auction copy, but it wasn't from me( might it be the one recently offered set sale?? hmm...)

Ovenchip? So you are a UK bod

the single copy of the mags was in a detroit-area basement with a bunch of 60's dj promo 45s of all stripes, incl thelma, wheelsville

vinyl, not styrene

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert