Scarce One! Ellen & The Shandels - Gypsy - La Salle - Sold

Godzilla

Ellen & The Shandels - Gypsy - La Salle - NOW SOLD THANKS

Later issued as Gypsy by Dry Well on Lauren this is the first, considerably rarer issue. Psychedelic soul for the dancefloor.

Record is a strong VG+ with some light surface marks and a bit of static here and there but nice gloss. There is a small edge warp that doesn't affect play. I'm trying to grade as accurately as I can so I've now added a lengthy unadulterated MP3 clip. Feel free to ask questions.

No idea what to ask for this so I'll open it up to offers by PM or email to:

mistergodzilla@yahoo.com

Thanks

Paul

post-1918-0-70699100-1332502202_thumb.jp

Gypsy.mp3

I'm informed that John Manship's book price for this 45 is £350. Therefore I'll consider offers over £150

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 4
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I think there was a thread a while ago when there was some discussion about this record and a few people said that, Pete. It definitely got a few spins at Wigan (Sam I think) but was one of the ones that disappeared fast and was a bit of cult tune amongst some of my old gang. I'd never heard of Dry Well until the 90s when my mate Nick Ward bought one. By then it was that long since I'd heard it that I couldn't be 1005 sure it was the same recording, but it is.

I think it's probably a variation of one of the garage bands called Shandels/Shandells/Shan-Dells etc but no idea which. I've read that the label is not the Detroit one and the numbering is different, but there is a Michigan Shandells. Don't think it's them but going by the pic I wish it was!

l.jpg

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

I think there was a thread a while ago when there was some discussion about this record and a few people said that, Pete. It definitely got a few spins at Wigan (Sam I think) but was one of the ones that disappeared fast and was a bit of cult tune amongst some of my old gang. I'd never heard of Dry Well until the 90s when my mate Nick Ward bought one. By then it was that long since I'd heard it that I couldn't be 1005 sure it was the same recording, but it is.

I think it's probably a variation of one of the garage bands called Shandels/Shandells/Shan-Dells etc but no idea which. I've read that the label is not the Detroit one and the numbering is different, but there is a Michigan Shandells. Don't think it's them but going by the pic I wish it was!

l.jpg

I do remember Kenny posting up the original version - and it was by The Moody Blues!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!