Soul Terms Of Endearment / Categorising

Guest Matt Male

Bit of Friday p.m. humour of sorts but saw on another post reference to a member being an 'anal purist'.

Got me thinking about the world renowned Divvy-Bileous scale and whether better definitons are needed.

In running order from least offensive I believe we have:

1. Anorak - mildly offensive type person who occasionally asks questions about matrix numbers and whether a record was a 2nd issue or not. Tedious, but OK to be seen at the bar with, especially if they are buying a round of drinks. Typical anorak is still after copies of Eddie Parker on Awake and "Job Opening" to replace the ones they sold in 1986 for £25. However they can no longer afford them.

2. Trainspotter - moderately offensive type person- spends their life scanning labels up, asking about missing numbers, double issued B sides and asking for label listings. Often found at the end of railway platforms, or in an armchair, but rarely seen in soul gigs. Unlikely to actually own any records at this point, instead they will have lots of hand written notes dating back some years.

3. Chinstroker - fairly offensive type person, chinstrokers frequent soul venues regularly but never enter into the joyous spirit of the event (Chinstrokers by a freak of nature are actually unable to dance). Instead they are usually found sitting in a dark corner away from the action, listening and noting what is played while they sup on a half pint of shandy all evening (or smuggle their own drink in - so no need to wonder about whether to chat to them at the bar - they don't go there). They may post negative comments on other peoples playlists or question the value of sale prices, because they purchased something for £1.50 in 1923.

4. "Anal purist with head up their own arse" - this is a NEW category - a highly offensive type person - dangerous record collector probably with considerable knowledge of soul music. The tip is not to get drawn into conversation with these people as they will instantly recognise your inferior knowledge and sell you the "duds" from their sales box for a lot of money. They also drink lots of beer, so can be an expensive option if encountered at the bar. Probably have a good record collection, and tend to be very passionate about music and know of mythical records that aren't in the price guides.

5. I've forgotten what 5 is - No definiton currently available.

:wink:

Isn't 5. Soul Police?

Social source share

No the soul police are the investigative duo go mother and daughter and dogs. A random carrier bag near to record boxes gives the game away that records have been purchased locally. Dogs trained to sniff out bags of records stashed down side of cabinets while spouse is present. Daughter listens to rushed footsteps up to the spare room on payday and reports back. That is the soul police :(

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Townies or Hand bagger as you call them

Piss heads who only fall through the door because our bar's still open and theirs is shut

They stand and laugh for a bit then try to show you all that they "Can do it"

but just end up spilling beer all over the dancefloor

maybe we should just call them "Tossers" ?

Social source share

No the soul police are the investigative duo go mother and daughter and dogs. A random carrier bag near to record boxes gives the game away that records have been purchased locally. Dogs trained to sniff out bags of records stashed down side of cabinets while spouse is present. Daughter listens to rushed footsteps up to the spare room on payday and reports back. That is the soul police :(

Used to hide mine in the front garden until her indoors was out of the way :lol:

Social source share

Number 5 would be the ''Descartes''

I think I know everything about northern therefore I do

I think I've been everywhere, therefore I have

I think my opinion is more important than yours, therefore there can be no argument

I think my history on the northern scene is unsurpassed, therefore it is

I think everything I say is enthralling, interesting and edge of the seat stuff, therefore could you please wake up

:D

Any advice should we meet one of them in the bar? Say "Excuse me I like this tune" and run onto the dance floor? :lol:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

For single soulies, Soul Police also includes the category of 'Girlfriend' - possessing highly skilled questioning & interogation techniques, designed to break & weaken the accused into absurd confession. Stress questioning (after the bag has been found) such as: "Why did you spend so much money on bloody, stupid records!!!" has known to produce feeble answers such as: "But I bought it for you babes! I thought it was your favourite...!" followed by 3 hours of complete & utter silence (the calm before a mega strop of the highest order).... That too is the soul police :(. Er... :):D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

6. "Soul Troll"

One who sits at home moaning about all and sundry from the comfort of their computer.

Doc

Edited by Dr Pickles
Social source share

Number 6 ahem. Soul witch. The Yoko Ono of soul. Trouser grabbing beer swilling lady, machiavellian in outlook hasnt been on the scene for years disruptive, with her eye often burning fondly on the younger clientele. More often than not just there for thankfully the one night only. A ahem regular at Wigan of course. And trust me I've been a victim haha

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Turntable hawk.

By nocturnal evolution this creature Has developed the ability to read type in a dark room rotating at the speed of forty five times a minute, on hearing a rare soul record played would prefer scaling the stage to check it's ovo provenance rather than enjoying the music or heaven forbid - actually dance to it.

Social source share

Turntable hawk.

By nocturnal evolution this creature Has developed the ability to read type in a dark room rotating at the speed of forty five times a minute, on hearing a rare soul record played would prefer scaling the stage to check it's ovo provenance rather than enjoying the music or heaven forbid - actually dance to it.

Do their heads revolve round and round as they memorise the label address and phone number? :lol:

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Do their heads revolve round and round as they memorise the label address and phone number? :lol:

Only in the lesser evolved , the more further developed members of the species are now capable of actually spinning their eyeballs at exactly 45rpm, but generally only at that exact speed, very rarely a rare strain of this breed can also utilise this skill at 33rpm, but in general this practice is disdained by the herd as the consider the playing of 'albums' as cheating and thus beyond their contempt.

Social source share

Turntable hawk.

Also known as the Neckcraner,or Deckcraner.Reading the labels at 40 feet is an art ,thus distancing oneself from the Hawk,Craner tag.

Social source share

Turntable hawk.

The Hawk is a close freind to the Siamese Twin, that person that stands so close over the deck, checking every tune you play, you can' even see the fooking dancefloor, the twin don't wanna move at all... Some even have the camera phone out to snap away at everything they like and don't know... Don't mind some attention but do wish they would give you some room to breath, chill, check the crowd, have a piss in your dj bottle behind the decks... The Twn as also be known to tell you what to play :ohmy: .. Big events with stage are pretty free from the Siamese twin, they lurk at small events where the decks are up close to the crowd....

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

What about Giffers.....fat bald blokes in their late fifties/sixties.....usually have an ailment of some sort.Wear trousers ordered out the back of the old News Of The World free mag...very into mid tempo/ballad soul and love to deejay.They are making up for the fact they didn't get a look in through the seventies...and keep feeding the dealers market of tunes nobody wanted back then.Crossover/beat ballads are often muttered by them and what's this old giffer playing is uttered by the crowd.Theres also the new type the plastic mod/Jimmy Cooper who can often be seen on a steed of this type.

post-18577-0-28729900-1333296445_thumb.j

post-18577-0-16849800-1333296536_thumb.j

Edited by wiggyflat
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

What about Giffers.....fat bald blokes in their late fifties/sixties.....usually have an ailment of some sort.Wear trousers ordered out the back of the old News Of The World free mag...very into mid tempo/ballad soul and love to deejay.They are making up for the fact they didn't get a look in through the seventies...and keep feeding the dealers market of tunes nobody wanted back then.Crossover/beat ballads are often muttered by them and what's this old giffer playing is uttered by the crowd.Theres also the new type the plastic mod/Jimmy Cooper who can often be seen on a steed of this type.

Shit ! that's me !!!! :lol:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Also known as the Neckcraner,or Deckcraner.Reading the labels at 40 feet is an art ,thus distancing oneself from the Hawk,Craner tag.

Ah yes, deckclockers in these here parts.

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

I'll warrant there are a foo of these on here - '3rd party onlys'.

All 'memories' acquired from folk they met quite recently, regurgitated ad nauseam to anyone who'll listen, irl or on t'interweb.

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Number 5 would be the ''Descartes''

I think I know everything about northern therefore I do

I think I've been everywhere, therefore I have

I think my opinion is more important than yours, therefore there can be no argument

I think my history on the northern scene is unsurpassed, therefore it is

I think everything I say is enthralling, interesting and edge of the seat stuff, therefore could you please wake up

:D

"I think, therefore, do you know who I am ?

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

"THATS THE GEAR"

importance is paramount,

paranoira is 'parrot-noise'

and vision is seeing.

dancing is by way of Grensons

endearment is all....

plus the will....

"ive got that...."

"on another label..."

"richard is the only God besides me"

"butch is a nice little lad int he"

"i use the Nev Wherry handshake"

"just one more unknown and i'll be well on the way to becoming an unknown myself"

"mickie cruise is a fanny magnat"

"MORE"??

"socrates himself was permantly pissed"

(SO-CRATS)

"dobson, dyson & searling c/o. know them wellish"

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest allnightandy

You could have an "R" Soul Somebody who knows everything single about a particular record

even down to the name of the producers dog , but failing to spot the record you are holding is a boot LoL

Oh him ? He's just an "R"

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!