Vic Marcel Info ?

Roburt

Anyone here know much about Vic Marcel.

I know he started out singing (in the late 50's / early 60's) as front man for the Four Bars -- which I'd guess is a totally different outfit to (Eddie Daye's) Four Bars .....

....... mind you, both group's were from the same general area (a place in Delaware, east of Baltimore for one & DC the other) and both were recording at the same time (around 1963).

Back to Vic; later in the 60's, he hooked up with Andy Stroud (Nina Simone's hubby) and cut tracks for Ninandy that were picked up for national distribution by RCA.

I like most of his Ninandy / RCA cuts and guess that additional tracks he laid down back then stayed in the vaults.

From his ad (see attachment), Vic & his group seems to have been a popular act (in the early / mid 60's) in the Baltimore & DC areas ......... what more is known about him ??

post-22122-0-21952500-1332918832_thumb.j

Social source share

As Vic fronted a Four Bars in the early 60's, just thought I'd ask about the Four Bars that cut for Republic (based out of Nashville) back in 50's.

This outfit can't have been Vic's group (too early) and I guess they weren't Eddie Daye's Four Bars as that group had been signed to Josie at the time.

So anyone know owt bout the Four Bars on Republic (they were a vocal quartet but that's all I know bout em).

post-22122-0-21142900-1332922201_thumb.j

Social source share

I'd often wondered about this. Eddie Daye was more of a bandleader than a lead singer per se, so these could indeed be the same Four Bars. As you point out the geographical location is broadly similar. No idea about the fifties group.

Vic Marcel was a good singer and I love his RCA single "You Still Got Me". All sides of his RCA 45s are at least pretty good though.

I'm afraid I know practically nothing else about him so am looking forward to any concrete answers in this thread.

Social source share

Can't find much out about Donald Butler or his record label.

The guy who arranged the track Vic cut for DonBut was Hershel McGinnis.

There was a Hershel McGinnis who was director of the Nth Carolina Central Univ Marching Band back in the late 50's.

I guess he's the same guy who went on to work with Vic.

post-22122-0-83170800-1332976429_thumb.j

Social source share

• 5 months later...
Guest MsPorsh

Wow this is my Step Father, he also went by the name Charlie Mitchell! omg what do you guys want to know? He is alive and now sings at his church and lives with his wife and my little sister

Social source share

MsPorsh, if you can get us the facts on his singing career & post them on here, that would be great.

Due to his group's name, there is much confusion about which recordings actually feature him and which were made by the other versions of the Four Bars.

Also, when & why he went solo (1965 ?). Where was he based (New York after Baltimore / DC).

How he was signed to Stroud Productions / Ninandy Records (connected to Nina Simone)

.... and ... when he gave up on his singing career.

......... MANY THANKS

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MsPorsh

MsPorsh, if you can get us the facts on his singing career & post them on here, that would be great....

Uu know rob this is all new to me.. I'm just finding ou about everything over night so I would have to call him and get exact dates and stuff but from what I know, he signed with rca during the 60s I wanna say. Charlie Mitchell and Vic Marcel is the same person. Ummmm he signed a 5 year contract with them, he recorded several songs but the label didn't give him the proper promotion on the tracks they just released them. So he had to be stuck in that 5 yr contract and once he was released he told me at that point he just gave up. I got mad when he told me that he should have kept on trucking.

I will call and get more info for you because I'm just as if not more eager to know for myself. I do music, have music on iTunes and everything and never knew my father was signed! I'm trying to remix after hours lol

Social source share

Guest MsPorsh

MsPorsh, if you can get us the facts on his singing career & post them on here, that would be great.

Due to his group's name, there is much confusion about which recordings actually feature him and which were made by the other versions of the Four Bars.

Also, when & why he went solo (1965 ?). Where was he based (New York after Baltimore / DC).

How he was signed to Stroud Productions / Ninandy Records (connected to Nina Simone)

.... and ... when he gave up on his singing career.

......... MANY THANKS

Well just got off the phone with my dad...

Vic was not apart of the Four Bars, he was always a solo artist. The Four Bars were hired to sing back up on a couple of his tracks, "come back to these arms" was the most popular song. He recorded in DC but was based in NY. His last recordings were produced by Tony Sylvester from the Main Ingredient in the 70s.. he produced the tracks "After Hours" and "Love Dont Come Easy"

and Andy Straud was his manager.

Cuba Gooding Jr's father (Cuba Gooding) was apart of the Main Ingredient and helped along with Tony to produce my dad's tracks. I actually spoke to Cuba today I reached out and got his contact and booking info and he's allowing me to reconnect Vic and him together, So i am very excited about that.

Social source share

Guest MsPorsh

Thanks guys!! If I learn more I will be more than happy to post, I just got word that he and Cuba Gooding Sr spoke on the phone today! Can't wait to hear about the convo! And i am definitely trying to remake one of my dads songs, keep you posted ;)

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Andre,  if you could tell us more about Vic's music career (or hook us up with him direct via an e-mail contact address), then I could forward some relevant questions and using the info write an article on him to go up on here & in a UK soul magazine.    CHEERS.

Social source share

From what I remember, there was only one 4 Bars group, who sang in The Baltimore/D.C. Area, and that was Eddie Daye's group, which sang during most of the 1950s and 1960s.  I always thought that Eddie was their lead singer.  They DID have member changes in transitioning from R&B to Soul, and the '50s to the '60s.   They backed Vic Marcel on several cuts, but I never heard of Marcel being an official member of that group.

Social source share

• 4 years later...
On 18/02/2018 at 04:06, Robbk said:

From what I remember, there was only one 4 Bars group, who sang in The Baltimore/D.C. Area, and that was Eddie Daye's group, which sang during most of the 1950s and 1960s.  I always thought that Eddie was their lead singer.  They DID have member changes in transitioning from R&B to Soul, and the '50s to the '60s.   They backed Vic Marcel on several cuts, but I never heard of Marcel being an official member of that group.

100% bang on as usual Rob 

The 4 bars were hired to back up Vic (although the recording was done in D.C.). They don't seem to be on the flip, "That's My Girl."

Social source share

12 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

100% bang on as usual Rob 

The 4 bars were hired to back up Vic (although the recording was done in D.C.). They don't seem to be on the flip, "That's My Girl."

Is there a definitive list of recordings the Four Bars were the back-up band on? It's not obvious from label scans.

Social source share

58 minutes ago, Simon T said:

Is there a definitive list of recordings the Four Bars were the back-up band on? It's not obvious from label scans.

I have a cd of their stuff, will try and find it when I get home and see if it can add anything to the discussion. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!