Trips On Soundville

Anyone know what the deal is with the copies on ebay are about. one listed as a test press. With Simon Soussan having done the boots in the US, wondering if that's what the guy found. I stayed away from those auctions because I don't have that one down right. I've heard everything from people saying that there are boots that also are machine stamped to originals having slight different recordings. Anyone know what the real one looks/sounds like?

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

As far as i was aware the Soundville orig has the stamped H,and the Soundville boots do not,

i think the Soultown copys were done later by Bobby Sanders as it`s a slightly different take to the Soundville copy,

the Soultown copys have the west coast stamp in the run out(like John and The Weirdest),also i`m talking abut

the "Love can`t be modernized" side,if the Soultown 45 was an out and out boot of the Soundville 45 why are the

"LCBM" side`s different??

Dave f.......

Social source share

Here`s the Boot,as i can`t see any stamped H in the run out,it also looks yellow too me.

post-2848-0-16059700-1333414645_thumb.jp

Dave f....

:hatsoff2: HI ALL I HAD A COPY IN MY SALES BOX. I showed it to BUTCH at the LIFELINE ALLNIGHTER he had to look very close at it (2 min) as they can fool most? thats why I say beware, I paid £3 for a copy in the 80s thinking at the time what a bargin!! :rofl: DAVE
Social source share

i got a copy from that seller and there is an "H" stamped in the deadwax. It clearly has the wear of records that have been moved around a lot, doesn't look clean enough to be a boot imo.

Thanks Bob

Is the stamp on both sides? or just one? can you tell me what else reads in the deadwax?

Social source share

"H" is stamped on both sides

Different shade of yellow to the boot

Also not sure whether the boot has the stamped in matrix as the original does on the "mountain " side..stamped HSJ 101-B

The matrix on the "A" side is tiny-- scratched in HSJ 101 A-RE2

Hope that helps

Edited by john parker
Social source share

"H" is stamped on both sides

Different shade of yellow to the boot

Also not sure whether the boot has the stamped in matrix as the original does on the "mountain " side..stamped HSJ 101-B

The matrix on the "A" side is tiny-- scratched in HSJ 101 A-RE2

Hope that helps

RE: The matrix on the "A" side is tiny-- scratched in HSJ 101 A-RE2

is this on the Orig or the Boot?,also what does the RE2 ,mean?,cheers.

Dave f....

Social source share

RE: The matrix on the "A" side is tiny-- scratched in HSJ 101 A-RE2

is this on the Orig or the Boot?,also what does the RE2 ,mean?,cheers.

Dave f....

I'd be interested in what folks think

I have looked at the previous threads re the Soultown copies having the voice over through the sax break

The Soultown copies are boots..no question

The double stamped Soundville with "H" and stamped matrix ..different take

The Soundville with scratched in matrix both sides..boot

What about the Soundville copy with "H" stamped BOTH sides and STAMPED matrix one side???

Was this one used for the SOULTOWN boots and RE2 ..Second take??...otherwise why cut it on soundville...in itself very rare then again on Soultown?

So theory...2 takes..the one with the "vocal" in the break was the version used on the Soultown boot

Thoughts please

Edited by john parker
Social source share

I'd be interested in what folks think

I have looked at the previous threads re the Soultown copies having the voice over through the sax break

The Soultown copies are boots..no question

The double stamped Soundville with "H" and stamped matrix ..different take

The Soundville with scratched in matrix both sides..boot

What about the Soundville copy with "H" stamped BOTH sides and STAMPED matrix one side???

Was this one used for the SOULTOWN boots and RE2 ..Second take??...otherwise why cut it on soundville...in itself very rare then again on Soultown?

So theory...2 takes..the one with the "vocal" in the break was the version used on the Soultown boot

Thoughts please

Social source share

George, Gabby here.

I would be very careful Georgel. Eddie rang me from Oregon asking me about the copies that surfaced, and after he explained them to me I advised him to stay well clear and not throw away his money. The early boots that Sousan produced were through Henry Graham. Henry had one of the original Stampers but not the other. So they used old file tape and had another reproduced. This would explain the different matrix number, sound etc. Henry also had them produced at the same pressing plant etc where he still had an account. Henry never got paid. Sound familiar?

Well take care mate

Regards

gabby

ps when Simon needed more copies he went to Bobby Sanders.

Also be careful of the white test pressings that surfaced years ago.

Wonder if Bobby got paid? I bet he did. No fool Bobby.

Edited by gabby
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL .... Well I thought I was clued up about this record, can I assume there are no white label DEMOS of this? Value of this gem is above the £1k mark, since the proper A side got played way back now? how often had you played that side in the 70s?? the SOULTOWN BOOT, wa I got from Carlow's in Bedford,it's as we all no part of a small run of classics, put out by SS late 72, And as I have mentioned before the #1 DJ at the DIVE BAR, HITCHIN. Mr BILLY MAC, had the SWEETS on original SOULTOWN and both myself & Mick tried to convince him it was one of Simon's,

The TRIPS 1st SOUNDVILLE REISSUE was imported at the very end of 1975 in a small batch, any other copies that come out, I have no idea or interest come to that, also I looked at the popsike ones, and I was right about the yellow SOUNDVILLE copies being just like the reissue, which are clearly to my eyes better quality to most of the cheaper ones, so I have to ask was there a later SOUNDVILLE PRESSING? than the 1975 reissue?? and I am now of the opinion that the reissue is worth a bit more after seeing popsike, also the Orange copies I think come from Soul Bowl or should I say John had those on his list?? and my reissue has the letter I instead of the H this has not been mentioned?? and I agree where is Ranking Johnny Boy when he is needed???? :g: DAVE 42 YEARS ON FROM "MY EARS ARE ALL RIGHT" I n I baby one.??

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!