Lee Fields

Looking forward to seeing him in Leeds tonight Steve..... based on his last two albums, he'll be the real deal.

Likewise Cliff ,tea and biscuits at mine then off for the show ( mick h thinks it's west life we're going to see ) then it's off into Leeds for a rave !

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...The only reason I didn't go to the London show was because I saw Lee and his band barely a fortnight ago in Austin, Texas.

As far as I'm concerned he can cut it live with any of the great soul acts of the 60s and 70s. His band is superb, too.

Any man who can sing 'Sunny' (a song I usually loathe with a passion that goes beyond description) and make me like his version will always be a winner with me.

Please do make every possible effort to go and see him if he's coming to, or near to, your town...

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Wow, what a show! If anyone is in two minds about seeing this guy you really should make the effort and go. I doubt there will be too many come along in the future that will be able to deliver a vocal performance with quite the intensity and style. Top night.

Social source share

Going to Band on the wall tomorrow with a group and also getting to dj this event as a freind doing the event dropped out.. Really up for this and more so after seeing the feedback from London.... Still tickets left for Manchester.. £15 in advance and £17 on the door the websites says..

Look forward to seeing a good few others off here on Thursday.... Band on the Wall is a great venue for live music and with the refurb the sound system is real quality...

Social source share

Brilliant show, one of the best live acts I've seen. Can only reiterate what Steve said, those seeing him tonight in Manchester and Glasgow on Friday are in for a treat.

The warm up act, Dirty Velvet were bloody good as well and one worth looking out for. They are a Leeds band and are on the usual social networks, check them out. Photos and videos later.

Social source share

Yes gald I made the effort for this one.

Fantastic singer supported by a great band.

Standout moment for me a song was Lee was singing with guitar player only for majority of a song then the whole band just kicked for for last 30 seconds or so. Brilliant.

Also a couple of loud sceams in the finale that raised the levels a bit.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Quite right Steve , What a truly dynamic show from start to finnish-the local warm up band ( this term is a severe in justice) were great vocally and musically and put 90% of the live acts i've seen in the last five years to shame.I remember thinking Lee is gonna have to go some to top that ! Without a doubt both acts complemented each other perfectly Lee Fields is a rare throwback artist that gave us a rare insight into what it must have been like back in the day watching acts giving it their all for a chance at the mainstream arena.I like the uptempo,midtempo but especially the deep ballads which were absolutely perfect - certainly comparible to Little Charles Walker,Otis Clay,Hermon Hitson as a live act ,maybe only Wilson Pickett (in my experience) had that little extra something on stage ,but only just ! The Expressions backing him were proper good too,the kind of musicians a artist like Lee has to have.The room was reasonably busy ,but a artist like this deserves a lock out..there's thousands of folk in the north who it seems must be pretending to be into soul - because if they were into soul this is a dream come true and all for 20 quid and the price of a couple of gallons of diesel and two pints !

Couldn't help thinking a lot of people are very vocal and dedicated to artists getting their financial dues etc.. one would have thought more of them would have shown up ??

Great post Andy...

Thats gets us all well in the mood for tonight now....

Social source share

Yes gald I made the effort for this one.

Fantastic singer supported by a great band.

Standout moment for me a song was Lee was singing with guitar player only for majority of a song then the whole band just kicked for for last 30 seconds or so. Brilliant.

Also a couple of loud sceams in the finale that raised the levels a bit.

Dylan - I'm guessing that was "Could have been"? One of my all-time favorite ballads, and the Expressions totally nail it live.

Having had the pleasure of having Lee Fields at Dig Deeper 4 times (2 shows focused on his old material, 1 covering Barbara Lynn, and 1 with the Expressions), in my view he is without a doubt one of the greatest soul artists around today. Definitely make every effort to go see him if you have the chance.

- honky

Social source share

Dylan - I'm guessing that was "Could have been"? One of my all-time favorite ballads, and the Expressions totally nail it live.

Having had the pleasure of having Lee Fields at Dig Deeper 4 times (2 shows focused on his old material, 1 covering Barbara Lynn, and 1 with the Expressions), in my view he is without a doubt one of the greatest soul artists around today. Definitely make every effort to go see him if you have the chance.

- honky

Rich

that is the one its a brilliant track. The band came in a lot more at the end last night than the version I just listened to on youtube and it realy added to the song.

So many highlights but thats the one that got me the most.

Social source share

Quite right Steve , What a truly dynamic show from start to finnish-the local warm up band ( this term is a severe in justice) were great vocally and musically and put 90% of the live acts i've seen in the last five years to shame.I remember thinking Lee is gonna have to go some to top that ! Without a doubt both acts complemented each other perfectly Lee Fields is a rare throwback artist that gave us a rare insight into what it must have been like back in the day watching acts giving it their all for a chance at the mainstream arena.I like the uptempo,midtempo but especially the deep ballads which were absolutely perfect - certainly comparible to Little Charles Walker,Otis Clay,Hermon Hitson as a live act ,maybe only Wilson Pickett (in my experience) had that little extra something on stage ,but only just ! The Expressions backing him were proper good too,the kind of musicians a artist like Lee has to have.The room was reasonably busy ,but a artist like this deserves a lock out..there's thousands of folk in the north who it seems must be pretending to be into soul - because if they were into soul this is a dream come true and all for 20 quid and the price of a couple of gallons of diesel and two pints !

Couldn't help thinking a lot of people are very vocal and dedicated to artists getting their financial dues etc.. one would have thought more of them would have shown up ??

And to top that he was signing photo's "To Lee Best Wishes Mick H" :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

At the London gig, I only recognised about 8 people. :ohmy: Loads of soul people down here, weren't there.

Social source share

What a show and great crowd.. Lee Fields , the best live soul artist i have seen....

He started with the Carl Carlton track " Two timer " , what a man and what a great band too..

This track last night sounded oh so good...

Nice to meet Godzilla from soul source....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MahsaJU9dMM&feature=related

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest ruppy

Yes a great night we had, the sad thing is only ten of the scene,s hardcore there,from Lifleline & Boomarang who was in attendance, when you think of the amount of venues and Allnighters run in the Yorkshire area ,surley a lot more of you could of made the effort to see this Legend on your doorstep,your loss

Yes Kitch was pleasure to sign a cd for Lee,least i could do for him

Mick H

Edited by ruppy
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Couldn't make the Leeds gig, but made my way across to Manchester last night, the whole show was fantastic, agree with the other reviews and it seems the high quality followed each venue, really unmissable for me, and can only echo the statements about missing 'soul' fans !!!!! For me its getting to be rarer and rarer to see acts like these (and especially of this quality) so to not go for me would have been a crime.

Brett

Social source share

Guest bedge

Truly awesome night at the BOTW last night. Lee and the band spread some honeyed sunshine all over an ecstatic crowd. Come back soon Lee

Social source share

Yes Kitch was pleasure to sign a cd for Lee,least i could do for him

Mick H

Was just fiddling with my camera looking for the videos after reading this page. Guess what the first photo was? :lol:

----

I was really pleased I didn't see any reviews before I went, because it made it all even better with what came. Wasn't sure what to expect on how good he would be and was surprised to see the further travelled familiar faces out on a school night and after the snow.

Like others, Lee blew us away and boy could he sing - and moooove! I just loved getting closer and watching his face as he put his all into his performance. If he was on in Manchester tonight instead of last night, I'm sure we'd go again (I need not ask).

Someone needs to get him on at a weekender.. we want more (please)!

m

post-3480-0-44719500-1333729645_thumb.jp

Social source share

Was just fiddling with my camera looking for the videos after reading this page. Guess what the first photo was? :lol:

----

I was really pleased I didn't see any reviews before I went, because it made it all even better with what came. Wasn't sure what to expect on how good he would be and was surprised to see the further travelled familiar faces out on a school night and after the snow.

Like others, Lee blew us away and boy could he sing - and moooove! I just loved getting closer and watching his face as he put his all into his performance. If he was on in Manchester tonight instead of last night, I'm sure we'd go again (I need not ask).

Someone needs to get him on at a weekender.. we want more (please)!

m

Hi Maria,

We did discuss that with Ady at the end of the London gig, the problem though is Lee + 7 piece band = expensive. However we all agreed he'd be a knockout addition to a weekender, so let's hope so. He could obviously do Take me Back, Mighty Mighty Love, Tyra's Song etc...as well as his current repertoire.

Steve

PS: Can you please make sure Lee gets a copy of the photo of his meeting with the Mighty Mighty Mick H for his album please. :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Just want to echo what others have said. The Band On The Wall gig was tremendous. It really was like going back in time to see a classic soul singer at his peak - not a hint of cheese or 'knowing retro', just great songs delivered beautifully by a fine singer with a great band. Doesn't get much better really. As others have also said, the funky and uptempo stuff was great but Lee Fields really excels with the ballads. Honey Dove made my hair stand up.

I also got to meet Little Stevie and Brett off here which was really nice and the following morning found some great stuff at Beatin' Rhythm and chatted about to Derek Howe about how nice Scarborough is.

If Carling made bank holidays... :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!