Price Matching Ever Tried It For A Record?

Ok your after a record you find two mint copies on the internet, :yes: one in the UK at say £100 and one in the US at say the equivelent of £60, P+P is the same for both. Would you or have you had the cheek to say to the UK dealer "If you can match that price I'll buy it from you"? I dont mean making a lower offer as this happens all the time but proper price matching.

All the money saving pundits suggest doing this, just wondered if it goes on in our little world.

TIA

Blake

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest mickeyfish58

i have tried it a few times and got lucky once or twice but in the main they wont budge- am sure they dont realy want to sell

Social source share

I do it as a seller, in that I check all the online sales sites to see if the record is for sale elsewhere for cheaper than I planned to sell it. Sometimes this strategy backfires -- I don't know anything about rock, but someone wanted a garage record I randomly had. I popsiked it and they were all $50+ and the more recent sales were $100+. The guy had agreed to give me $60 but I looked at musicstack and saw there were 2 copies for like $20 and $40 so I couldn't honestly sell it to him for $60, I just let him have it for $20.

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

kinda depends on the seller i would suggest- if a dealer it is essential to turn around stock so it may make sense to move on with a sensible price matching policy (as opposed to a low or unsubstantiated bid) - but values/trends/state of record change so much it is a difficult one to compare like with like.

But if the seller is just an opportinist who sees a high value or demand and thinks i'd sell mine for that they would likely hold out as the sale is not so important.

Social source share

Why not, it's always worth asking the question......mind you, what if the US copy was actually more than the UK dealer had it priced at........would you offer more? :wicked:

There's always the risk of being hit with Customs/handling charges with the US copy mind.

I must admit I also find it mildly amusing when buyers quote recent Popsike prices if lower than the price you have listed something for...but this never seems to happen if Popsike prices are higher :lol:

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Ok your after a record you find two mint copies on the internet, :yes: one in the UK at say £100 and one in the US at say the equivelent of £60, P+P is the same for both. Would you or have you had the cheek to say to the UK dealer "If you can match that price I'll buy it from you"? I dont mean making a lower offer as this happens all the time but proper price matching.

All the money saving pundits suggest doing this, just wondered if it goes on in our little world.

TIA

Blake

A record is only worth what you are willing to pay for it !

You only pay what You think it's worth !

They can only say No !

Social source share

potential buyers who tell you your record is overpriced and they can get it cheaper elsewhere then come back and tell you the same thing 2 days later...........

FFS if its realy cheaper someweher else just go buy it.

I do make offers if I think somethings is priced a bit wrong and also have come down in price with my own sales. It depends on a whole host of things. No 2 deals are alike.

Edited by dylan
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I'd end up buying both of em :D

So do i mate if i see a bargin i say to myself "Thats too cheap and end up buying it

thats why i have three or even four copies of certain records LoL!

Social source share

potential buyers who tell you your record is overpriced and they can get it cheaper elsewhere then come back and tell you the same thing 2 days later...........

FFS if its realy cheaper someweher else just go buy it.

I do make offers if I think somethings is priced a bit wrong and also have come down in price with my own sales. It depends on a whole host of things. No 2 deals are alike.

Just a hypothetical situation Dylan :g: ,For an identical record at Same price I would favour a UK dealer every time :yes: , I could have the disc in my hands next day, less chance of loss/damage and no chance of charges. Just applying an article I read to my hobby, nothing more nothing less :thumbup: .

Social source share

Although I do do what I said above, if I see one copy of a record on the internet that is lower but I feel priced too low I'll also buy it so I can sell my copy for what I think it's worth.

The worst is when somebody who is a terrible grader lists a trashed copy as "VG+" and gets some amount. If I'm selling a VG copy for more or even the same amount I'll always get some dude telling me that my copy is worth much less and giving me some lowball offer. This annoyingly happened with a famous person recently who also was like "I reviewed this in and sold it for 10 pounds in 1992". Like that's supposed to mean it's cheap? They should trade me a copy of one of the many other records I need that sold for 10 pounds in 1992.

Someone annoyingly stalling on here and then offering less and less did the condition thing to me, the record was dead stock, one side was mint but the other side has a few ugly marks so I graded it VG-. He was quoting VG- popsike copies as comparison points, like there was some objective grading / value combination, it was extremely obnoxious.

Social source share

Just a hypothetical situation Dylan :g: ,For an identical record at Same price I would favour a UK dealer every time :yes: , I could have the disc in my hands next day, less chance of loss/damage and no chance of charges. Just applying an article I read to my hobby, nothing more nothing less :thumbup: .

I don';t mind waiting a few days extra for a 45.

my hypothetical would be if there was UK copy from somebody I didn't know and a copy in US from somebody who I deal with i would buy the US one.

Also its easy to say you have found a copy of a 45 cheaper elsewhere but would you disclose to somebody with the more expensive copy where the cheap copy is when asking for the discount ?

I'm not suggestign you do this at all just another thing to consider that some might do in order to try and snag a bargain.

Social source share

Buy the cheapest record no matter where it is from , cant see the point in supporting expensive dealers who all keep the record prices high , sometimes artificially.

i only regulaly use one uk dealer who has been brilliant when buying trading etc

Care to divulge who it is David ? (Nice bit of publicity for 'em) :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!