'dished' 45's. Does It Concern You As A Collector?

Soul16

I received a record from the USA this week, it was described by the ebay seller as 'Mint Minus' unplayed 'warehouse find' (I guess you've all seen the stuff I'm talking about)

The one issue I have though is that it is very clearly dished and also has a pronounced warp - it plays OK though - but it doesn't sit very well on the turntable.

Four questions:

Would you expect dishing to be mentioned by a seller, assuming that they've noticed it?

Would it bother you if you received a 45 in this condition?

Can it affect playback quality, given that the groove will be at a slight angle to the stylus tip?

What causes dishing?

I'm not calling into question the honesty of the seller here - I just wondered if any of you had any thoughts on the subject.

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I think a warp or a dish has be mentioned in the desription of a 45. Unfortunatelly had a few cases where it wasn´t, an stated as m- records.

Till now i had no reasonable problems in the soundquality, cannot help you at this point. But another question that turns up here, which i am thinking for a while, is how you have to store 45s to avoid warps and dishes?

Social source share

I believe that warps & dishes in 45's occur because the singles haven't been stored correctly.

They may have been kept (for years) on their sides & / or kept somewhere way too hot (near a window where the sun streams through).

Don't forget, that many 45's sat for years in hot or damp warehouses / basements as 'overstocks'. As they were only being sold (back then) for a few cents each, no one saw the need to look after them properly.

Social source share

Definitely should have been in the description. For me a non-even warp is worse than a dish warp though, if it also was warped on top of being dished that sucks.

re: playback, I don't notice any difference in dished records on my not-that-great stereo but I have heard more audiophile types complaining about the play of dished LPs as well as the needle even damaging the LPs by not wearing against both sides evenly. I can't imagine it makes a huge or immediate difference though.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All warps, including dishes, should IMO be listed in an item description. What if a record doesn't sit properly on some turntables because of a dish warp?

Not keen on warps myself. Would rather have a VG copy of a record, which is flat, rather than a Mint one which is distinctly warped or dished.

Social source share

Thanks for the replies and advice - Boba - Unfortunately, I think I may fall into the 'audiophile type' category...

The seller has agreed to take my 45 back and send me a flat replacement - Luckily for me he had around 10 copies available.

Social source share

I had a Marva Lee on Atco under a heavy bookcase for weeks to correct a dish.Still got it,but plays without any problems.Visually looks like it would cause deck concerns.I'm happy with it.

Should always be put in Sales description though.(ie: Dished+does it play without jumps.)

Social source share

I find that sitting a dished 45 on a bowl and weighting it so it concaves in the opposite way to the original dish works pretty well, the duration left in this position varies but I usually check the 45 every few days, sometimes they're on the bowl for weeks sometimes a few months, slow and steady wins the race :)

Here's one I made earlier, err! Tinned tatties, nope I've not seen them my love..........................................

Does it work with any processed root vegetable?

Social source share

I would need to see photos to see if any of the other vegetables work effectively.

If you know someone with a record flattening machine, in general they don't work well on 45s, but dish warps are the things they are most effective on.

Social source share

It doesn't seem to work for me with tinned jellied eels but that's probably coz I'm a northerner ...

However Italian collectors tell me the it works with tins of anguilla, French with tins of aspic d'anguille and Germans with tins of Aal in Aspik but I have never tried these.

Social source share

Has anyone got a method to straighten a record with edge lift?

It depends on what you mean by "edge lift", there are different kinds of warps and it depends on whether it's a heat warp, etc.

I don't think anyone should play with record flattening themselves (especially on expensive records). Find somewhere that has a machine and try that, even that is not foolproof but it's way safer.

Finally, if you do want to do it yourself, you could buy this thing:

https://www.vinylflat.com/

I haven't used it and have not heard of anyone's experiences with it.

Social source share

RE:.... Perfect for sorting out edge problems...

........ I've got an 'edges problem .....

.... I married one (an 'edges) & she now threatens to divorce me whenever I order any records or CDs.

She thinks that just coz I already have 20,000 records & 2,000 CDs I don't need anymore !!!

.............. How can I get around this major difficulty ??

Social source share

It depends on what you mean by "edge lift", there are different kinds of warps and it depends on whether it's a heat warp, etc.

I don't think anyone should play with record flattening themselves (especially on expensive records). Find somewhere that has a machine and try that, even that is not foolproof but it's way safer.

Finally, if you do want to do it yourself, you could buy this thing:

https://www.vinylflat.com/

I haven't used it and have not heard of anyone's experiences with it.

Good advice Bobba, I will leave well alone. I only have a couple of records with this problem and it doesn't affect play.

Social source share

RE:.... Perfect for sorting out edge problems...

........ I've got an 'edges problem .....

.... I married one (an 'edges) & she now threatens to divorce me whenever I order any records or CDs.

She thinks that just coz I already have 20,000 records & 2,000 CDs I don't need anymore !!!

.............. How can I get around this major difficulty ?? ..........................................

Could always buy her this as an anniversary present and call her bluff............

Made me smile.

Social source share

I received a record from the USA this week, it was described by the ebay seller as 'Mint Minus' unplayed 'warehouse find' (I guess you've all seen the stuff I'm talking about)

The one issue I have though is that it is very clearly dished and also has a pronounced warp - it plays OK though - but it doesn't sit very well on the turntable.

Four questions:

Would you expect dishing to be mentioned by a seller, assuming that they've noticed it?

Would it bother you if you received a 45 in this condition?

Can it affect playback quality, given that the groove will be at a slight angle to the stylus tip?

What causes dishing?

I'm not calling into question the honesty of the seller here - I just wondered if any of you had any thoughts on the subject.

Dishes or warps of any kind should always be mentioned alongside grading imo, nothing annoys me more than buying a record thats got a warp whether its mint or vg it should still be mentioned by the seller. I've lost count of the amount of "unplayed" records ive received that have got storage warps. Theres always going to be odd times u get one either when the seller has lots of copies or just hasnt noticed but it seems to happen a bit to often for my liking. :unsure:

Social source share

Where do you get these ?

Not sure you can get them any more (if it's the American Goldring centres I'm thinking of). Bought a couple of Les Paul and Mary Ford US Capitol 45s from a boot fair with them in, but they're bloody hard to remove. If I'm not wrong, Goldring stopped making them in the late '50s (but am open to correction!).

Social source share

Okehdokeh, thanx for the gud ad-vice.

Suppose I could try looking for a likely leggy blond when I'm next in Tesco's buying cans of processed root vegetables.

By all accounts, supermarkets are the in place to pick up women now (it was down the fish filleting shed when I was last looking).

Social source share

Anywhere but Tesco - all Tesco stores are built on Hellgates, so you'd probably end up with one of the Devils Wives if you went in there!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!