Mixed Emotions

Tanktop

They just pressed up a new unreleased track, I think it's called Down and Out.. I bought one, I like it a lot, it's maybe too slow for people here though. I also previously bought a whole CD with a bunch of unreleased material from them but never listened to it. It's awesome though because the cover make it looks like a karaoke CD.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I heard Mr. Cole is also slightly insane. Who would write lyrics like "I want to touch your inner darkness"? Other than Prince I guess.

I don't think he is crazy, but there was an online battle between him and James Trouble about the pressing of the 45, etc. What's insane is expecting an outsider to understand the crazy rules and values of northern soul record collecting.

The person doing the selling is his son (or at least was, I talked to him on the phone once a long time ago).

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

i partially take back the "not crazy" thing. They had a 45 BIN for $25. I asked (his kid who is doing the sales) if they had a wholesale price he could offer so I could buy to resell. He said he could sell it for $20 and dropped the BIN price on the actual ebay auction to $20. I was just like "that's not less then you're selling it for and even if it was nobody could make a profit reselling at that price." They clearly could make more if they actually sent their records to distributors for a reasonable price and sell many copies vs. selling themselves via expensive ebay BINs.

Also, if you get the CD they put out, it looks awesome, the cover looks like a karaoke CD.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I've been wondering about this too. Seems odd.

Hi Steven, i've got the original genuine Rock - Way 45', that i believe is a wonderful record....this on ebay, whatever it's authenticity ( hell what would i know..) is bloody awful that so called violin !!! reminds me of the old school yard trick of blowing with your lips through tracing paper wrapped around a plastic comb...Truly hideous...Kills such a fabulous tune....It proves to me you can easily destroy any work of art....and then some.

Social source share

I've been wondering about this too. Seems odd.

Think that's Sami Darius eBay sales item .. Cole being the one and only Elijah Cole ,owner of the rock way label .

Not sure about the history of this particular 45 ,but it's causing a bit of interest on eBay .

Not played it myself ,but hopefully not as bad as the Gold colour copy of the gold of my life tune lol

Social source share

I don't think he is crazy, but there was an online battle between him and James Trouble about the pressing of the 45, etc. What's insane is expecting an outsider to understand the crazy rules and values of northern soul record collecting.

The person doing the selling is his son (or at least was, I talked to him on the phone once a long time ago).

He is crazy. He online bottles were with Json S and I had several emails and posts on here from him :)

Social source share

sorry to be a bit crap withmy research and knowledge, but i some times see a mixed emotions 45 on ebay with a picture cover of two white guys, is this the same record/artists

No, that's a german pop band from the 80s/90s.

Social source share

I think the constant reworking and repressing of different versions over the span of years is a sad story, it indicates a producer who is obsessed with a song and who believes it is good enough to be a hit, investing money over and over into it. I like the mixed emotions cut but it's clearly not good enough to be any sort of popular hit record. If you heard the song, even the "good" version (whichever that is), a hundred times of the radio you would have become tired of it a long time before.

Social source share

Also, I just realized, this is the record that they just reissued on a brown label that I was asking about buying wholesale. I was trying to buy copies because the "down and out" side is good sweet soul. If you look at the Cole 45, "down and out" is the a-side. They just redid "gold of my life" as a random b-side. So it's not as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Social source share

The person selling these is Carlos Cole trading as Rockway Ray, Elijah coles son I think, trading from the same address as on the record, I have original and reissue, they are identical pressed from the same plates possibly. There is a poor quality recording with the groups name on the label.Like Chalky says can you trust the family.

Dave

Social source share

The person selling these is Carlos Cole trading as Rockway Ray, Elijah coles son I think, trading from the same address as on the record, I have original and reissue, they are identical pressed from the same plates possibly. There is a poor quality recording with the groups name on the label.Like Chalky says can you trust the family.

Dave

I think it's "Rockway Jay".

at some point I'm not sure how much I care about the originals if reissues were pressed from the same plates and have very similar labels and there are like 5 variations of originals. People have to spend tons of time documenting all the different ones, often based on speculation that turns out to be wrong. If there's no 100% sure way to determine if a record is original (other than it turning up in old stock / someone's basement that hasn't been touched since the 70s) I don't see the point in jumping through hoops to make sure you have "OVO" on that title.

Edited by boba
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Isnt there some dubt about that one too Dave, not properly licensed or something??

yeah he claims it got stolen from him when he went to some convention to promote the record. But that doesn't violate the "OVO" code, it was pressed in like '75.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

haha

https://www.ebay.com/...b#ht_500wt_1276

DISCLAIMER: do not buy this for $200

At least we know this is an original. i like this better than 'Gold' actually, the production quality is amazing. He may be batshit mental but Elijah knew what he was doing when he produced and engineered this. I don't know why he is trying to sell it at this price when it was about $25 before.

Jordi

Social source share

At least we know this is an original. i like this better than 'Gold' actually, the production quality is amazing. He may be batshit mental but Elijah knew what he was doing when he produced and engineered this. I don't know why he is trying to sell it at this price when it was about $25 before.

Jordi

I'm actually not sure he didn't press it before. I bought their newly pressed 45, mixed emotions "Down and out" / "gold of my life reprise" and it ended up being identical to that Cole label 45 that Sebastian sold that nobody had seen before. Maybe this one is similar and there's a 45 out there that nobody saw before. He did press many variations of it initially and did seem sort of obsessive about changing it / pushing it, etc. It seems that he did lots of tiny runs of different things.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!